SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing the oil in my DRZ right now for my first time. I drained all the oil from both plugs then removed the old filter. When I put on the new oil filter, it won't stick out straight. It leans against the bottom of the cylinder. Should the filter be held in a centered position by something. I put the cover on but am picturing the filter still leaning against the bottom.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am changing the oil in my DRZ right now for my first time. I drained all the oil from both plugs then removed the old filter. When I put on the new oil filter, it won't stick out straight. It leans against the bottom of the cylinder. Should the filter be held in a centered position by something. I put the cover on but am picturing the filter still leaning against the bottom.

Is this normal?
Hmm I dont remember seeing my filter like that but as long as the filter is on the Oil shaft coming out of the motor it should be ok...Dont forget that small "o" ring too

·
Registered
9,329 Posts

Is this normal?
Which two plugs are you referring to? There are a total of three on the DRZ; One on the downtube below the radiators, one at the bottom of the filter housing on the clutch side of the engine, and one on the bottom of the engine itself. There is nothing to hold the filter in place till you tighten the acorn nuts that hold the cover on. Make sure you have the O ring in there too, they're bad to stick to the old filter and easily overlooked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which two plugs are you referring to? There are a total of three on the DRZ; One on the downtube below the radiators, one at the bottom of the filter housing on the clutch side of the engine, and one on the bottom of the engine itself. There is nothing to hold the filter in place till you tighten the acorn nuts that hold the cover on. Make sure you have the O ring in there too, they're bad to stick to the old filter and easily overlooked.
I only removed the plugs from the frame and very bottom. I'll go back outside and look for the other one. I haven't added any oil yet. As far as o rings. I have the small on the back and the large on against the cover. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I only removed the plugs from the frame and very bottom. I'll go back outside and look for the other one. I haven't added any oil yet. As far as o rings. I have the small on the back and the large on against the cover. Thanks for everyone's help.
The other plug only drains what oil is inside the filter housing. You're good to go, button it up and go ride it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm good to go. Changed oil, cleaned air filter and now ready to go ride. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts