SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is a pic of my bike i just finished....It needs more power.... This is what ive done already.

-Yoshimura RS4 Duals Full System
- Dyno Jet stage 2
-3x3 mod

What more can i do to get power?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
more power

well you should visit a sight called suzukicentral.com the drz motor is the same motor as the ltz 400 you can learn alot about the motor in your bike there

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
For good DRZ tech, you can also go to ThumperTalk and look in the DRZ400 section.

Next step would probably be a FCR 39 carb, then an Athena Big Bore kit.

A gearing swap might be a temporary solution if you had a specific speed range you like to run.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
For good DRZ tech, you can also go to ThumperTalk and look in the DRZ400 section.

Next step would probably be a FCR 39 carb, then an Athena Big Bore kit.

A gearing swap might be a temporary solution if you had a specific speed range you like to run.
^^Yep, Brakelate is dead on. Or the FCR + E model cams or hotcams stage 1 are a very noticeable bump. The cams were the second most noticeable mod I've done other than uncorking it from stock with the 3X3 and jet kit. Big bore kits get pricey in a hurry if you do it by the book.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Fcr39, stage 1 hotcams or used E cams
Bigbore or stroke it with some head work and larger valves......sell those cans and go for the MRD pipe which I'm almost positive makes more power alone then that exhaust you have

·
Registered
637 Posts
Honestly, your timing kinda sucks. Eddie over at Thumpertalk just parted out his DRZ build-up and one of the things he sold was the complete motor. I believe, but am not certain, it had a big bore kit, stroker crank, and cams. Might have had some head work done too. With a FCR, I believe he was pushing over 50 hp to the rear wheel on pump gas.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
sell those cans and go for the MRD pipe which I'm almost positive makes more power alone then that exhaust you have
While personally, I would have to go with an MRD, those Yosh Duals are very nice. Not only cosmetically, but there is a significant power bump (from stock / 3x3) .

Tetge and I bought '09s together and after a jet kit, my bike would walk his. He simply added the Yosh Duals, and now he simply MARCHES away from me, with no other mods.

Perhaps it sharpened up his tune / jetting, and although it may have moved the power farther up the rpm range, it is strong as is.

The only down side (no pun intended) to the Yosh's, is the price, the risk of damage in a tip over and the low header pipe. I simply can't run one, as I routinely grind the bottom of my frame bottoming out in the dirt sections racing in our local series and off road running here in the desert.

For a street - tard, they are sweet looking and sounding IMHO.

Here is a vid of me playing on his bike after he mounted them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tetge#p/u/20/36cEc5uXwJE

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew going in to this build that the Yoshi's werent really The best exhaust.... But they are sooooo SEXY! I got the the full system shipped to my house for A little over $600. Not bad huh...? Im a 100% street dude. Me and three other friends rip the mtn on sunday afternoons.. WE call it " SUPERMOTO SUNDAY" Gay I know, but we love it. We live in a small where we get pulled over cause we are ridding "dirtbikes" on the road. Supermoto not as well known here yet. I come off a KTM 525 sm so it may be that im ridding the bike the wrong way and i may be looking for something I may never get power wise.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I come off a KTM 525 sm so it may be that im ridding the bike the wrong way and i may be looking for something I may never get power wise.
You may have hit on something here. I come from an Gen II Hayabusa. One of the main pleasures of the DRZ is it's reliability, grin factor, and the fact that it forces you to maximize your riding skill, rather than relying on Hp to make the difference.

Concentrate on being smooth, maintaining momentum and corner speed. You may lose every drag race longer than the width of an intersection, but I have yet to be passed in the canyons.

You will never match the power to weight ratio of a 525.

The point is to have fun and maximize what little you have. That is why I race a stock bike. Sure, little kids on two strokes pull me on the straights, but at the end of the day, I KNOW I rode the hell out of the bike. And that is a far cry difference from most other bike riders out there who never scratch the surface of the bikes ability.

You might re-think modding, and hit up a pavement only kart track day or race event instead with the $

You start chasing power, you'll never spend enough time and money. You start looking for grins and ease of ownership, you can stop right now. You've found the winning bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I would go so far as to suggest removing both brake levers.

It both saves weight, and you will see an immediate difference in your riding style. :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I knew going in to this build that the Yoshi's werent really The best exhaust.... But they are sooooo SEXY!
tru dat. Dual pipes on a single are about as dumb as those electronic blow of valve noise makers that people buy to make their "modded" cars sound like they are actually turboed. Unlike fake blow off valves, the yosh duals apparently perform well, and holy crap they look good...

Good job on the build. Consider me jealous.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Eddie motor and it is hands down mean as hell. It isn't cheap but they last a long time and run on pump gas and pushing 60hp with lots of head work. I can say it is mean on the track or canyons but if your just going to cruz highways and ride like a pussy. The motor isn't for you, it is a fire breathing DRZ breaks tire loose with ease. I would go with cams little port and TT 39mm DRZ carb kit. Make it really easy to install. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
LOL they would eat it up......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts