SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say I love my DRZ. I've upgraded the suspension, FCR carb, Maxxis pressa DOT slicks, and just about everything else I wanted to do to it.
It is what I wanted in a SM bike, a blast to ride and low maintinence. I have a dirt setup for it so it's like 2 bikes in one.

I also own a '01 SV650 which I use for longer rides and about half of the commuting duty.
Both my current bikes have been modified to fit my riding style and together they make it possible to ride every road and every trail.

That being said I am looking at upgrading or consolidating both bikes into one. One of the bikes that may fit that bill is the KTM 625 SMC

There are two I have been looking at (same owner, a mechainic at a local moto shop)
1. 2005 20k miles, basically all stock asking $4000
2. 2006 6k miles, all stock asking $5000, maybe 5 miles off pavement.

How are the 625's in the dirt? How are they in the air?
Will I need to respring/valve the suspension? (I'm 185 lbs, but like a stiffer suspension feel, my DRZ was sprung to 210 lbs and it's perfect)
Can any DRZ owners who have owned a 625 comment on the maintenance differences?

This is what I'm thinking:
Lowball offer both bikes (i.e. $2500 for the '05 and $3750 for the '06)
Keep the SV and DRZ till something happens and sell one or both if the seller bites on one of the offers.
If I end up buying the 625 and selling the DRZ and SV, I'll probably look around for a cheap MX bike for offroad duty.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ride an LC4 SM, which is basically the same thing as an SMC but a different carb.

I think the OEM seat would be pretty painful for commuting. KTM sells a "comfort seat" which should fit the SMC. How far is your commute? I commute on mine but my commute time is like 20 minutes max, so no problem.

I think the suspension will be fine for you stock. I'm heavier than you and have thought about going to the harder springs from KTM but I don't ride enough to make that mod worthwhile.

Can't speak about owning a DRZ but the maintenance on the KTM has been pretty standard for the 4 years I've owned it. It's a daily driver for me, fwiw, and I've only changed oil, filters, tires, and 1 battery. It's been as reliable as any Japanese bike I've owned (and I've owned a bunch of Japanese bikes.)

My main beef is that some of the KTM fasteners rust easily. Non-issue if your KTM is garaged. Mine isn't.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ride an LC4 SM, which is basically the same thing as an SMC but a different carb.

I think the OEM seat would be pretty painful for commuting. KTM sells a "comfort seat" which should fit the SMC. How far is your commute? I commute on mine but my commute time is like 20 minutes max, so no problem.

I think the suspension will be fine for you stock. I'm heavier than you and have thought about going to the harder springs from KTM but I don't ride enough to make that mod worthwhile.

Can't speak about owning a DRZ but the maintenance on the KTM has been pretty standard for the 4 years I've owned it. It's a daily driver for me, fwiw, and I've only changed oil, filters, tires, and 1 battery. It's been as reliable as any Japanese bike I've owned (and I've owned a bunch of Japanese bikes.)

My main beef is that some of the KTM fasteners rust easily. Non-issue if your KTM is garaged. Mine isn't.

Thanks for the reply.
I don't care about the seat. I'm a mountian biker and any motorcycle seat is more comfortable than my bike seat. I thought the stock DRZ seat was fine, and some people describe that as a 2x4 with a vinyl cover.
My commute is 5 miles ~10 mins, but I like to take detours on my way home whenever possible.
It's good to hear that you haven't had any problems with yours. The engine reliability is really my biggest worry.

I think I'll put my SV and DRZ on craigslist and see if I get any bites.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have an 04 SMC and the seat doesn't bother me at all. It's nice and wide. 10x softer and more comfortable than a KTM SMR seat.

5K is a good deal for nice low mile 625. I'd jump on it before it's too late.
I rarley see the SMC model for sale here if I do they're gone in two days.
If your lucky maybe he'll let the 06 go for $4,500, if not it's still worth 5.

04 has proven to be reliable,20k seems like alot of miles but I put 16K mi on a DR350 before rebuilding the top end.
Bottom end was fine and it's still bieng ridden daily by my neighbor who bought it.
Guess it depends on what he's done to it. Has it been rebuilt?

I'm 195lbs and the stock suspension feels great, firm and predictable.
Tall bike. I'm 6'1" and can't flat foot it without sliding up to the tank.

Good luck, hope you get one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 04 SMC and the seat doesn't bother me at all. It's nice and wide. 10x softer and more comfortable than a KTM SMR seat.

5K is a good deal for nice low mile 625. I'd jump on it before it's too late.
I rarley see the SMC model for sale here if I do they're gone in two days.
If your lucky maybe he'll let the 06 go for $4,500, if not it's still worth 5.

04 has proven to be reliable,20k seems like alot of miles but I put 16K mi on a DR350 before rebuilding the top end.
Bottom end was fine and it's still bieng ridden daily by my neighbor who bought it.
Guess it depends on what he's done to it. Has it been rebuilt?

I'm 195lbs and the stock suspension feels great, firm and predictable.
Tall bike. I'm 6'1" and can't flat foot it without sliding up to the tank.

Good luck, hope you get one.
Thanks,

I'm catching the seller before he has them on craigslist (they both need a new starter solenoid)

I'll ask about the high mileage one.

Anyone ever jump their 625?

What about dirt wheels?

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
i just picked up a 06 625 on sunday as an upgrade from my WR250x. only rode it a couple miles, waiting to get my tags and safety check done so im legit. Its an animal of a bike compared to my 250. :bannana:

·
Registered
277 Posts
You will love the new SMC if you get one , I just picked up a new 2010 SMC last month and I'm in love . I'm a fairly fast int/exp SM racer and this thing feels like my racebike but with a licence plate .. : )
Worlds ahead of the 400, which is expected .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like my SV650 sold, so I should be able to pick up a new SM in the next couple weeks.
I've looked around and I think I may wait for something newer. I've seen a few 690smc's in my price range.

Does anyone have any experience jumping a 690smc or Husky 610sm?
How does the 690 compare to the 625?
Are any of these easy to convery to dirt trim?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you like stiff suspension the 690 may be your thing. I have never sat on the smc but sat on the enduro a couple of times. I and 230 or so and I jumped hard on the seat and got the suspension to move maybe an inch, stiffest stuff I have ever massed with.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I ended up not getting the 625 SMC or the Husky.

I found a '08 690SMC in my price range with only 1300 miles on it so I jumped at it.

Future mods are going to be Exhaust, remap, tail cleanup, remove airbox/SAS, upgraded front rotor(stocker is slightly warped), and plenty of protection (SME sliders, Cyrca handguards, AL skidplate)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice 1300k.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
i just picked up a 06 625 on sunday as an upgrade from my WR250x. only rode it a couple miles, waiting to get my tags and safety check done so im legit. Its an animal of a bike compared to my 250. :bannana:

Sure got over that one quick... What happened?

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Sure got over that one quick... What happened?
couldnt get it registered in my name.....looooong story, my buddy gave me my $ back after a week of trying......

Congrats on the 690, my bro has one and isa ton of fun to ride!! Excellent choice :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
couldnt get it registered in my name.....looooong story, my buddy gave me my $ back after a week of trying......
Ah, that sucks. Maybe it was for the best though, that Husky you're building up is looking pretty sweet.:thumbup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Joe,
I'm looking at a similiar upgrade... I don't know if it's worth it to keep spending money on the DRZ, it's never going to be what I "think" I want, for long term...

A little bit of my history...
I had a 625 Duke several years ago, and it was a blast, but my wife and I rode it alot two up, so it wasn't very happy, and neither was I, lol. Moving on, I sold the Duke, bought an Bandit 1200S, rode it for a few years, proceeded to literally almost drag the pegs off of it, so it was time for something different. Traded the bandit in on a SV1000s, which I love and still have. Here's the catch, the wife now has a motorcycle of her own, so I went looking for a motard. Came across a good deal on a DRZ, converted it to an SM, did the normal "upgrades", and was considering doing the suspension, but it's never going to have the power I want.

Was the 690 able to realistically replace the sv650, and your DRZ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts