SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i ran down to the local husky dealer to get a good look at the 08s and i'm not sure which to buy.

The salesmen there recomended the 450 or 610 because "I'm a bigger guy", but the TE250 puts out as much hp as the DRZ400 and its got a 6th gear.

I'm looking at next to no highway, mostly all around town commuting.

The maint. schedule i was told on the 450 was an oil change every 300-400 miles and a valve adjustment every 40hrs. which doesnt seem too terrible.

:bike:

·
Registered
239 Posts
You left the WR250X off of your list, is this because you are worried about the power? Honestly once you do a couple of little tweaks (most importantly an exhast system), the WR250X is a great little bike and doesn't have the crazy service interval issues of the other comparible machines. FI, 17" wheels and tires stock, decent brakes, great gas mileage and don't forget, a warranty which may or may not be a deal breaker for you, but all in all a pretty nice bike.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You left the WR250X off of your list, is this because you are worried about the power? Honestly once you do a couple of little tweaks (most importantly an exhast system), the WR250X is a great little bike and doesn't have the crazy service interval issues of the other comparible machines. FI, 17" wheels and tires stock, decent brakes, great gas mileage and don't forget, a warranty which may or may not be a deal breaker for you, but all in all a pretty nice bike.
Well thats fine and all, but those same little tweaks can be done on the other machines with better results. No offense, but i feel like that WR250 is a step down from a DRZ because of torque and the nearly limitless aftermarket for the DRZ.

that same DRZ engine was bored out to a 450 and used in race ATVs for the longest time and it had the power to stay with the factory 450s that are superior in stock trim.

yamaha has what a 6month to 1yr warranty? the husky is the same according to this dealer.

Warranties arent deal breakers because i've never used them. Even when i decided to buy an "unreliable" YFZ450 with an extended warranty for 750$ extra.

If yamaha had brought it out as a 450, i'd have one by now. I'm a huge yamaha fan, but i want a friggin WR450X.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One of your options was a TE250. Based on this I assumed you might have interest in another manufactures 250 as well. Keep in mind I don't share your enthusiasm for the DRZ (and I'm not alone). Since purchasing the WR, I have had the chance to ride one and it left me very unimpressed. I'm sure there are ways to fix the suspension and misc shody parts, but how do you fix the lack of six speed and the vibrations that are worse than my old XR650? The WR is simply in another class IMHO.

As far as the displacement issue goes, I don't miss it for commuting (and I have a Superduke if I want to go fast). But that said, I would sell the 250 in a second if Yamaha packed another 200-250cc in a similar package... :thumbup:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of your options was a TE250. Based on this I assumed you might have interest in another manufactures 250 as well. Keep in mind I don't share your enthusiasm for the DRZ (and I'm not alone). Since purchasing the WR, I have had the chance to ride one and it left me very unimpressed. I'm sure there are ways to fix the suspension and misc shody parts, but how do you fix the lack of six speed and the vibrations that are worse than my old XR650? The WR is simply in another class IMHO.

As far as the displacement issue goes, I don't miss it for commuting (and I have a Superduke if I want to go fast). But that said, I would sell the 250 in a second if Yamaha packed another 200-250cc in a similar package... :thumbup:
The TE250 is on there because it puts out as much hp as a DRZ. The WR does not. I like the WR looks, but from yamaha i'd expect better. :headshake

Most of the people who don't like DRZ are one's who moved up to big bores that outclass both the WR and DRZ.

Suspension? I'm sure there are limitless option. Shoddy parts? like what? vibration? don't they make steering dampers? :infrandom

·
Registered
239 Posts
Most of the people who don't like DRZ are one's who moved up to big bores that outclass both the WR and DRZ.
I'm sure that's true to some extent, but there are several members here who have gone from DRZ's to WRX's and are quite pleased. As I've never owned a DRZ, I can only give you my take based on a 20 minute ride. Within that 20 minutes however, I noticed many seat of the pants differences that are hard to quantify here in words, but left me wanting to get back on my WRX. Based on this, the WRX is the better street tard IMHO.

We could argue this all night, but ultimately I'm only offering you my opinion, and you know what people think of those... :flush:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure that's true to some extent, but there are several members here who have gone from DRZ's to WRX's and are quite pleased. As I've never owned a DRZ, I can only give you my take based on a 20 minute ride. Within that 20 minutes however, I noticed many seat of the pants differences that are hard to quantify here in words, but left me wanting to get back on my WRX. Based on this, the WRX is the better street tard IMHO.

We could argue this all night, but ultimately I'm only offering you my opinion, and you know what people think of those... :flush:
I'm not gonna knock the WR, so i'm sure people are satisfied going from one to the other, but i feel the DRZ has more power potential if i ever wanted to build one up for racing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not gonna knock the WR, so i'm sure people are satisfied going from one to the other, but i feel the DRZ has more power potential if i ever wanted to build one up for racing.
Agreed 100%

·
Registered
181 Posts
the wrx is a lot lighter than the drz, even though it doesn't have the displacement. i bought a husky (SM510R) mostly because while i can read so many great things about the wrx, in this part of the country, they can not be found. i went to my local yamaha dealers in march and heard the same thing, "we'll get more in 2009."

surprising enough, in other parts of the world, i can still get a new 07 drz, but not here either.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know if 39lbs is that huge of a difference considering the bigger bore is gonna put out more torque to pull that weight around.

The TE250 however, puts out 34hp and weighs 235lbs. Now thats a big difference.

·
Registered
952 Posts
What about the 510???? Thats what i have and i wouldnt trade it for anything!!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about the 510???? Thats what i have and i wouldnt trade it for anything!!!
well the main reason is because the local dealer doesnt have a 510. They've only got the TE250, TE450, 610sm, and the TE610.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts