SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm looking to replace my stock headlight assembly and just wanted to see what everyone thinks about their own aftermarket ones. Post some of your pics of what you got.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm in the same boat- stock one is fugly- except in a few years of looking, I haven't found anything that works better.

the retrofit HID kits don't change the reflector, so the light thrown from those kits isn't focused right. they look good, just not so useful unless you go crazy and buy the BMW setup with that floating light shield in it.

there are lots of cool looking little aluminum projector assemblies and sort of naked bike/street fighter directions, but again, the light from most of those isn't bright enough or thrown right for what i need. some are HID but a lot use those pathetic mr.16 bulbs which are a total waste on a motorcycle as they're basically just mood lights.

there's also that giant baja designs round off road headlight if you need some real power, but its massive.

I'm eventually going to go down the custom fab route, but I've got a bit too much on the go to delve into it now

·
Registered
628 Posts
Haha. The HID makes more usable light and that's all I wanted. A bigger area that can be seen at night.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Check out the "Black Mamba" from site sponsor Motostrano.
Cool headlight and their demo video shows it being installed on a DRZ400. I just picked one up for my new K(ough)TM 650 street SM project.
My wife says the headlight looks like the alien from Predator. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
For best result, hack up your stock headlight housing open and custom fit a real HID projector in there. You will thank me later. Been there done that.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
I don't think that would work right since the stock headlight has the pillow optics it whatever they're called. I justed ordered the Acerbis HP vision. I plan to retrofit a projector in it since it has a clear lens.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I got the Trailtech X2 headlight and am happy with it. Looks a lot better imo and the light output is better than stock.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but in another thread on here there was a DRZ with a Buell style dual headlight setup, the only link I could find didn't work due to this SOPA blackout. Does anyone have any info on running that setup?:headscrat

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but in another thread on here there was a DRZ with a Buell style dual headlight setup, the only link I could find didn't work due to this SOPA blackout. Does anyone have any info on running that setup?:headscrat
Yeah, get your hands on the headlight, either new or used, and cut up your wiring harness to remove your old light, and soldier and heat shrink in the new one. Figure out what you want to happen when you flick the high beam switch on your control cluster, and wire accordingly. You might have to make a bracket or two to make it all happen, but everyone needs a good winter project to research and build...

That TNT front number plate option shown above is pretty sweet looking, but the lights are 20W MR16 bulbs (same bulbs as found in track lighting in your house). They're OK if you're riding in the city under city street lights, but they're not bright, and you can't ride fast at night on the highway because the bulbs just don't throw light very far, and i've tried all sorts of ways to get more light out of them, including putting in a 50W bulb, which (possibly) fried my old bajadesigns stator on my old CRF450SM... I'm also worried about the TNT setup's potential lack of aimability...

·
Registered
544 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts