SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently sold my drz400sm and need a little more fun.

I happen to love the enduro looks on bikes so I am looking to find something reliable, fun, great looking and maybe even affordable.

Three runner ups are below alon with my initial problems.

2012 hypermotard 796 (maintenance and parts)

2013 husqvarna terra 650 dual sport (maintence cycle, freeway comfort)

2013 BMW f800gs (pretty much just price)

I'm hoping to commute to work daily 10-20 miles

And once a month maybe like a 100mile ride.

I live in SoCal so snow, or heavy rain is not an issue 80% of the time.

Any advice helps. Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BMW's are bullet proof. and amazing to ride. only downside is lack of aftermarket parts
With a 12k plus tax and fees price tag, I'm hoping the Beemer doesn't need too many aftermarket parts!
I know there maintenance cycles are fewer and further between and they clock incredible mileage but I can almost buy 2 Terra's for that price. That's what I meant with price being my only problem.

I will be doing 80% street riding though, so I like the large seat.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
So why not find a BMW that someone else has taken the big $ hit on?
Also, the Husky motor is the same BMW 650. I'm not a huge fan though, it's ~80lb more than my 630SMS with similar power numbers. It would server you a little better on the highway though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So why not find a BMW that someone else has taken the big $ hit on?
Also, the Husky motor is the same BMW 650. I'm not a huge fan though, it's ~80lb more than my 630SMS with similar power numbers. It would server you a little better on the highway though.
"Not" a fan of what motor again? The terra650 or the BMW motor? :headscrat

Miles on ur 630sms please!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
"Not" a fan of what motor again? The terra650 or the BMW motor? :headscrat

Miles on ur 630sms please!
Not a fan of the Terra/Strada which has the BMW 650 motor. They replaced the 610/630 "big supermoto" with a pair of 400lb adventure bikes.

There's no reason that bike should weigh 80lbs more than its predecessor.

The BMW 650 motor and a well tuned 630 make about the same power and torque numbers.

I've got a touch over 8000 miles on my 630 so far in a year and a half, just getting started...

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
wonder what the maintenance would be like on this...
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/690-enduro-r-usa/highlights.html#.UQGfxh00V8F

edit: found it...section 9 page 63...oil changes every 1,000km and valves every 10,000km...not too bad...maybe some more street oriented tires
http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_ktmproduct/techdocs/13_3211952_en_OM_6f3fd5.pdf
1000km is really, really short for a commuter bike :headshake That's 600 miles.

My Husky gets ~2000 miles with good Castrol 4T, little less with Rotella or Mobil 1.

·
Registered
277 Posts
1000km is really, really short for a commuter bike :headshake That's 600 miles.

My Husky gets ~2000 miles with good Castrol 4T, little less with Rotella or Mobil 1.
yea not the best but not too bad either if you're only commuting 10-20 miles...but if he is looking for longer maintenance intervals, then one of his choices would be better for sure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wonder what the maintenance would be like on this...
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/690-enduro-r-usa/highlights.html#.UQGfxh00V8F

edit: found it...section 9 page 63...oil changes every 1,000km and valves every 10,000km...not too bad...maybe some more street oriented tires
http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_ktmproduct/techdocs/13_3211952_en_OM_6f3fd5.pdf
1000 km is waaaay to little travel between oil changes. I changed the oil on my drz every 3000 miles. That's like 5 times as much maintenance.

Ohh FYI! 2012 Triumph tiger xs not too shabby either, great performance reviews but somehow lacks the pedigree of the Beemer. Il test drive one when it stops raining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts