SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's I have been looking here for info on this matter and over on thumper talk there seems to be endless info on that site. I wanted to know what has gone on here with the loose c/s sprocket with you guy's and what have you done to fix it ? Lock-tite and new parts or what ?? Let me know your finding's.:hmmm:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
second gear bushing ?

You mean nobody on this board has had any problem's with this on there drz ? Over on thumper talk it seems a ton of people have had to fix the problem ????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never...9000 miles, I guarantee the individuals who have had trouble, refitted their countersprocket with an aftermarket and did not have the proper tool to lock the CS during remount, or they used an airgun and just Pneumatically smashed it into place with 120 inch pounds. Over all I have not had any problems with stock parts or mounting, the problem was when I started using after market parts. Petcocks, high compression pistons, etc. I could be wrong....:hmmm:

·
Registered
81 Posts
My '06 SM has the stock front CS sprocket and I have 7k on the bike.
The other day I took it apart just to see whats up as I have seen all the talk about it too. I found the nut had indeed loosened but the tab does not let it go anywhere. In my opinion there is always going to be some loosenes due to the design, the nut is a sprocket retainer simply to keep it on and from wobbling around on the splines-it uses fine splines so the surface contact area is large between the shaft and the sprocket and there will always be some movement therefore some wear will occur thus shortening the spacer tube a tiny amount as it loads and unloads and thus producing the "loose" nut. Again there is a lot of discussion and this is just my opinion. An inferior or aftermarket sprocket may be softer and wear more enhancing the problem however if used on the pavement the stock cush drive I feel is best anyway. Suzuki may have matched the hardness of the two splines to prevent this.
Having said all that I cleaned mine up and reluctantly put some red loctite on the splines and a drop on the threads and torqued to the factory spec of 80 ft lbs and let it set for a couple days as per the online "fix". I may need a little puller to get it off but perhaps it will solidify things and minimize wear as the posts say but I personally feel it's a waste of time as the amount of force on the splines is just massive and the loctite is probably gone and you are metal to metal on the first ride. My .02 :thumbup: Jeff

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the buzz [talk] !!

Well maybe I'm making too much out of all this but alot of drz owners are saying on thumper talk that just about every drz owner 02-08 will have some issue with the 2nd gear bushing wearing and causing the c/s nut to loosen ? They say even if the bike is new ! Take the sprocket off with all thats on the shaft,I'm not sure ? Clean it well and put all back on and apply about 5 drops of the red locktite,then keep your eye on it to make sure it has held and let the locktite cure for atleast 8 hrs before you ride. All this has me wondering just what the heck is going on ? Like I said alot of owners are talking about this !:rant:

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is no cush drive to absorb the initial shock in the drive line. When the Cs sprocket loosens it could wear your seal causing immediate oil loss and engine failure.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have just over 10K on my 05 SM and this is has not been an issue for me. My bike is stock, so that may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This story is puzzling ??

Well today I called the dealer and they told me they have seen no problems with any they have sold and five employees there own them and have had zero issue's also ! So at this time all these guy's on thumper talk have me wondering what the hell is going on with their bikes ?? The service guy also told me that acouple guy's race and ride hard too ! This is including 02 -07 model years.:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ok guy's I have been looking here for info on this matter and over on thumper talk there seems to be endless info on that site. I wanted to know what has gone on here with the loose c/s sprocket with you guy's and what have you done to fix it ? Lock-tite and new parts or what ?? Let me know your finding's.:hmmm:

Countershaft Spacer and Seal Replacement and Red Loctite Fix -- How-to with pics, courtesy of ThumperTalk. Post #2 details the c/s sprocket fix if you haven't let it go to the point of needing the spacer & seal replaced :):

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585256

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just checking here to see what you guy's know ? Who had problems and how you did the fix just to compare from TT,Thanks !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts