SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 05 DRZ400SM was running pretty good before I left for my trip to Deals Gap but while up there I noticed that it was running richer because of the obvious elevation change. It was still running well just down on power a little.

One day on my way down 28 to Robbinsville the bike just died almost like I had run out of gas. I tried to fire it back up but it wouldn't. I looked down and noticed that my vacuum hose was pinched a little so I just flipped the petcock to prime and it fired right back up. When we stopped I turned the petcock back to on so that it wouldn't leak into the oil (if it was leaky). When we left I forgot to put it back on prime and about a mile down the road it died again. Flipped the petcock to prime and all was well.

The next day I noticed that after I got in from the ride it was leaking gas out of the overflow tubes at a significant rate. I assume this is a mis-adjusted float or stuck needle valve. The weird part is that it only seemed to leak like that in the prime position at first. When I would flip it to on it would stop. Now it seems to leak either way.

I also noticed that prior to leaving for my trip, even though the bike ran pretty well, it seemed to lose a bit of power once it was good and warmed up. When I first start out 2nd gear clutch ups are no problem but when warm I had to really crack the throttle to get it to come up and even then it was just a few inches.

Where do I start? I would like to go ahead and get a whole rebuild kit if one exists. Since these carbs are so much trouble to get out I would prefer to have all the parts I need before getting started.

I'll also be sure to check the oil for a gas smell and change it if it has gas in it. I did an oil change right before the trip and only put about 300 miles on the bike while there.

Thanks in advance for all the help and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Sounds to me like the floats are simply stuck if it wasn't doing it before. It could alos be junk in the float needle where it seats, or a worn float needle. Before I spent any money, I'd pull it and tear it down and give it a good thorough cleaning first. Check for damage on the float needle around the rubber tip and make sure it moves freely in the seat. Pay careful attention when you reinstall the float needle and float assembly and make sure everything is in it's proper place.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought the carb was annoyingly hard to get out until I started trying to perfect my jetting. I've had it out numerous times, always having a frustrating time putting it back in but then it just clicked.

Make sure you take out the top sub frame bolt so you can push it back a bit. When reinstalling I put the back side of the air box boot on the carb first so I can pull that little tab over the front side of the carb. Once you get it on all the way you'll definitely know, it just clicks. From there pushing the sub frame forward will seat the carb to the motor perfectly.

I'd definitely take it out and disassemble to give it all a good cleaning before spending money on parts. Take your time learning the process of removal/installation and it won't be a headache anymore. I used to hate it but now its almost fun! :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely plan on tearing it down and cleaning it all up. I'll give that subframe trick a try. I've never done it that way before.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I definitely plan on tearing it down and cleaning it all up. I'll give that subframe trick a try. I've never done it that way before.
No wonder you hate doing it so bad then. With the stocker, it's doable without dropping the subframe. I have no idea how you got the FCR in and out without doing it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts