SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right spot in the forum for this. I am thinking of buying a bottom end from a guy on craigslist, and then rebuilding it for a DRZ 400 project. He doesn't have much info on it. The engine number is K419 - 140185. I've been searching for a while now and found that the K419 is a 389cc four stroke. I just have no idea how to tell what year the engine is. If anyone can help out that would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Just make sure its a drz engine. Which BTW is a 398cc. Like Bo said they're all the same...as far as E/S/SM. The kickstart model has a different crank, with no option for e-start.

Post up some pics

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Pics would be awesome to see.

the kicker is easily distinguishable because it lacks the starter cover on the stator side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope this is the right spot in the forum for this. I am thinking of buying a bottom end from a guy on craigslist, and then rebuilding it for a DRZ 400 project. He doesn't have much info on it. The engine number is K419 - 140185. I've been searching for a while now and found that the K419 is a 389cc four stroke. I just have no idea how to tell what year the engine is. If anyone can help out that would be great.
Just an FYI. My 2009 DRZ400SM engine's number is K419-186281. If the numbers are in sequence it was a much ealier unit.

In my limited searching of the web it looks like the DRZ400's, E/S/SM's were all K419's except some early E's may have had a K417 prefix.

Here is a chart showing noise requirement test rpms which listed motorcycles engine serial numbers. Just to bad it didn't differentiate the years.

http://parks.state.co.us/SiteCollec... MIC Stationary Sound Test RPM Supplement.pdf

Sorry I couldn't find much else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response guys. If there is no difference can you still make the DRZ street legal if it has an E engine as long as it has the s sm frame then? That was my only concern when trying to figure out these engine numbers.

here are the pics he posted with the listing.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Legality is not my forte, check with some CA guys. Mechanically, it WILL fit in the frame and it will work.

That is an E/S/SM motor by the looks, it's got the holes tapped for the starter. If the bike originally had just one cylinder base gasket, it's an E.

J.R. knows more about the flywheel and crank looks than I.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm thinking you should be okay,
I mean, what if your street drz
needs a new motor?

So I don't think dmv is looking for off road engine numbers per se,
looking more for off road frame numbers I figure.

just double check for hoops you have to jump through...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for looking all that up ZPO. Appreciate it.
I tried calling the DMV during my lunch break but couldn't get through. I'm going to call again after work to try and get some more details on what is required to get it registered and plated. I was thinking the same thing Nitromouse. As long as you can verify the frame, it has all the CA required lights and it passes the emissions and noise test. I don't see how the engine number could prevent it from getting plated. Ill post more if I figure anything else out. Riding dirt bikes is so much easier ha ha.

Just an FYI. My 2009 DRZ400SM engine's number is K419-186281. If the numbers are in sequence it was a much ealier unit.

In my limited searching of the web it looks like the DRZ400's, E/S/SM's were all K419's except some early E's may have had a K417 prefix.

Here is a chart showing noise requirement test rpms which listed motorcycles engine serial numbers. Just to bad it didn't differentiate the years.

http://parks.state.co.us/SiteCollec... MIC Stationary Sound Test RPM Supplement.pdf

Sorry I couldn't find much else.

·
Registered
107 Posts
emissions test?
I don't think you need to-
look for the CARB sticker on the frame-
I think that's all you need.

if a noise test is done,
and you live nearby,
you can borrow my stock pipe
if you need to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I finally got through to talk to the DMV.

Here is what they told me. The engine wont be an issue as far as getting it titled, as long as the VIN on the frame is ok. What I need do need to have, since it is a project bike are the following.

Reg Form of construction
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.pdf
Make suere to have a bill of sale for major components to prove you paid for the parts.

Application for title or registration. If the frame has not been titled before explain why not. In this case they said since the DRZ is an off road vehicle as well filling out that the previous owner could have just chosen not to register it should be good enough.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

Statement of facts 256
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

Brake and light certificate. You can search who does these in your area.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else that is trying to figure all the legal issues out (for CA at least).

Thanks for the offer Nitromouse! I have a muffler that is under the 95dB limit, so I should be good. You are right too. They said there is no emissions test for motorcycles when I asked about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts