SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who's clutch is starting to slip on his DRZ. Besides the clutch pack kit, and a new clutch cover gasket, is there anything else we will need to do the job? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You can make your own clutch holding tool by using one of the old clutch plates and a small pair of vise grips. Other than a gasket, you should be good to go. Watch were the washers go when you're taking it apart because the Clymer's manual doesn't help with this. Also, keep the new clutch plates in the same order that they are packaged in. OEM, EBC, Barnett, DP... you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fish bate. Could you give me some more info on this home made clutch holder tool? Also, I assume the plates will need soaked in oil, and to use dino oil for the initial break in of the new clutch assembly?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I wasn't thinking. A clutch holder tool is only required if you're taking the basket off. You don't need to take the basket off if you're just swapping the clutch pack and springs. My bad.
Not everybody soaks the plates in oil. They become soaked in oil pretty quick, once it's running. You still can, though. I don't think it really makes a difference. The clutch cable is going to need adjustment. That's all I can think of. Suzuki made it really straight forward.
You'll notice that the action is a lot better and the friction zone is probably going to be a bit wider as well.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
pretty straight forward and easy... just make sure you keep track of everything you take off... I went with OEM plates and stiffer springs... it was around 20k miles, the plates really didnt need replacing but i wanted to put stiffer springs in it so i figured i might as well swap out the plates while im at it.... i had almost forgot what a new clutch was like
:arsenal

oh, and i didnt soak mine in oil prior

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the input guys. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts