SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - got a 05 SM last month with 491 miles on it. I've been converted from sportbikes and couldn't be happier. I'm a little hard on the front brake and would like a little more. I've heard that stock pads are the way to go. Is a braided line going to help me that much? I've always put them on my other bikes with "some" improvement. And yes, I'd like to keep to my costs down since I'm saving for some other mods as well. Thanks way in advance.......

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Braided line makes a huge difference. The line on this bike is considerably longer than that on any sportbike leaving way more room for the hose to expand. I noticed an instant improvement with the line. Also, I am running EBC pads and very happy with them (came with my conversion kit to go from S to SM).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Braided line makes a huge difference. The line on this bike is considerably longer than that on any sportbike leaving way more room for the hose to expand. I noticed an instant improvement with the line. Also, I am running EBC pads and very happy with them (came with my conversion kit to go from S to SM).
good man - thanks for the reply - what brand did you go with Galfer, Spiegler, etc....?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you have an SM, go with the galfer line. There is a specific line made for the SM front fork- the 'S' line won't work as well.

-Dave

·
Registered
291 Posts
I went with Galfer SS line and EBC HH sintered pads. Since doing this years ago on my SV it was the first mod on my TL and will be the first mod on any bike I ever own. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
370 Posts
you need one of these...if you're regularly hauling the mail, anything that you do that is less than this, is just a like putting a band aid on compund fracture...

sorry to say it like that, but it took me a year of riding hard to be sold on making the investment and I'll never look back....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you need one of these...if you're regularly hauling the mail, anything that you do that is less than this, is just a like putting a band aid on compund fracture...

sorry to say it like that, but it took me a year of riding hard to be sold on making the investment and I'll never look back....
thanks - any more info? links, price, etc....? appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
370 Posts
http://www.motostrano.com/moflrakit.html

I paid less than that, but I got all the pieces separately and over a little bit of time....

edit...snap, after looking at that linky I gave you, this caliper (adaptor) is not available for the DRZ-SM...but you get the idea, a good 4 piston caliper and a serious rotor is the trick...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I bought a Goodridge line from Thumpertalk. Have used their products before (on bikes and cars) and been very happy with them. I originally had a Galfer line, but it never fit right and while fiddling with it, one of the fittings snapped. I may have been sent an SM specific line to put on my S which might explain the fit problem.

As for four piston, aftermarket calipers, they are nice but hardly necessary. I have more than enough braking power with the stock caliper to do a one finger stoppie without even trying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The aftermarket calipers look cool and give greater stopping power for sure. I will hopefully upgrade my brake system when the stock items are due for renewal. I agree with WRX Boy tho, I'm running stock and can get the back end off the ground with little effort, and it's certainly happened a few times when I've traffic signals have changed at the last minute and I pull up sharp!!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I put on Moose line. Happy with it. Add Sintered pads and that's the quickest, cheapest fix.

(I went with a 320mm rotor too...I'm slow enough I probably didn't need too but it looks reeeeally cool...)

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you can lift the rear end onhard braking, and your brakes aren't fading after several hard stops, the ONLY thing you will get with upgraded parts is less braking EFFORT and maybe better FEEL.
You can only use so much braking power until the bike does something 'not nice' :D

The Galfer line and pads are a huge improvement in feel, but I felt the stock brakes were fairly decent already.

-Dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
think it might be a bit of a fading issue - brakes seem to feel a good bit stronger at first only to lose some feel or strength further into the ride....

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you are getting fade, the first thing I would do is drain your fluid and replace with quality fluid. Make sure you bleed it well too. If that does not solve it, invest in some better pads. Seems several of us are using the EBC sintered pads with good results. I have never experienced any fade on my bike, including a track day in 110 degree weather.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are getting fade, the first thing I would do is drain your fluid and replace with quality fluid. Make sure you bleed it well too. If that does not solve it, invest in some better pads. Seems several of us are using the EBC sintered pads with good results. I have never experienced any fade on my bike, including a track day in 110 degree weather.

thanks for the advice - gotta braided line coming so I'll have to drain it then anyway.....thanks again

P.S. - I've always used Bel-Ray - any other suggestions?

ok - wait - wondering if i ordered the right line length-wise - DRZ 400 and DRZ 400 "offroad" - so which one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts