SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at a Big Bore kit for my DRZ. I found one that is a steal of a price from a guy. It is a cylinder with a 453cc sleeve. He is also selling a used but rebuilt 41.5mm FCR carb. My questions are, is this a good kit? Is it too big and will my reliability suffer a lot? Also, the kit does not come with any gaskets, will any DRZ top end rebuild kit work? Do i need to replace the cams as well to get my money's worth? ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have never heard of a 453 big bore kit. Most are 440! Actually 438cc. I'll bet the kit he has is a 453cc & if the stroker crankshaft comes with it then it may be 453cc. Cams,exhaust & big carb really help! You can order a big bore gasket kit thru several different plces. I get mine thru EBay.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I'd personally stick with something that's time tested. Like mikedbike said above, FCR, cams, MRD or Yosh Ti, and add the 440 kit. And I would never buy a used big bore kit, again just personal opinion, nothing more. 46-48 reliable HP and about the same service intervals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks

The big bore kit is not used, just the carb is. But suposidly the carb was cleaned and rebuilt by yoshis race team, the same place he bought the kit. It comes with a JE piston.... He doesnt have the original packaging though, almost sounds sketch. The deal he wants is for only $500... Would you guys do it?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sleeves can be a bad thing, I would not put a sleeve on my bike. For what he wants for it you could be a well known brand, high quality plated, piston and sleeve kit WITH gaskets.
It sounds like he bought a piston and a sleeve and had someone put the sleeve in a cylinder (I am assuming the sleeve is already installed).
Gaskets need to match the size of the bore.
I have an Athena kit. Nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts