SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare cylinder I can have resleeved and install this kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-DRZ400-L-A-SLEEVE-453-BIG-BORE-KIT-400-DRZ-400-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45e7666c07QQitemZ300234992647QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Anyone have experience with this particular kit? It would cost me less than the 440 kit in the long run, but be more of a pain with the resleeving. That being said I don't have to have the bike out of order while the work is being done.

Any input is more than welcome!

·
Registered
24 Posts
assuming a shop would use an iron sleeve, i wouldnt do it. iron is a step backwards for sure. i plan to do the athena 440 kit some day, just tooooo many people with good results not to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
its not the brand, its the material. athena and many other kits come with a nikasil plated aluminum cylinder which is MUCH happier in a higher revving, sometimes beat on motors like a sumo bike. iron sleeves are for trucks like my old 75 f250.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I understand that. I also understand that wiseco is a brand used in race applications, and am inferring from that information that the wiseco sleeve supplied in this kit is not a bargain bin iron sleeve. Can you tell me why you are assuming as such?

·
Registered
69 Posts
resleave

send the cylinder to millenium technologies to do the resleave, they do super good work, fair price and good turn round. I've sent a couple cylinders to them.

http://www.mt-llc.com/

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your gonna have issues with head gasket sealing with that increase in size,there is not that much meat between the bore and coolant passages to allow an increase of that size,440 or strictly speaking a 434cc overbore is really as reliable as the standard set up,any bigger then its stroker kit time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your gonna have issues with head gasket sealing with that increase in size,there is not that much meat between the bore and coolant passages to allow an increase of that size,440 or strictly speaking a 434cc overbore is really as reliable as the standard set up,any bigger then its stroker kit time.
This is the most common conclusion, not enough base gasket on any thing larger than a94mm piston.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is the most common conclusion, not enough base gasket on any thing larger than a94mm piston.
Its not the base gasket thats the issue,that does not change regardless of how big the bore is,but the cylinder head gasket does indeed have issues sealing to the barrel once the bore has been enlarged past the 94mm mark,even going an extra 0.5 has issues,waterways then become too close to the cylinder bore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW! I want the 490 kit!!! That is sweet! Its a little pricy though... How do you like the kit you have?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ice cube cylinders are a whole different ball game compared to opening out the standard cylinder,not many about but i doubt there will be any issues regarding sealing,would like one myself on my stroker motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts