SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone first post here. I started the same thread over on ThumperTalk 2 days ago with no responses so I figured I’d try it out over here.

I’ve been riding for 10 years all sport bikes. I had an 05 R6 then an 01 Aprilia RSV Mille R then I recently sold my beloved ‘16 Aprilia Tuono 1100 to clear some debt I had laying around.

I’ve been non-stop searching for my new bike since the day I sold my Tuono. My budget is around 6Kish but flexible for the right bike. For last few months I’ve been exclusively looking at Supermotos. Mainly the DRZ-400SM. My plan is to buy one around $4K and rebuild the engine (half the fun and reason I’ve been looking at DRZs). Stroker, 434 BBK, 39 or 41mm carb (haven’t decided which) stage 2 cams, MRDpipe. You get the idea... that should put me all in for roughly $6-6500. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

I was looking at KTM 690s but they seem to run about $7K with like 20K miles. I haven’t really considered anything else because of maintenance. I’m not trying to do 500 mile oil changes. Frequent valve checks don’t bother me again, I don’t shy away from the maintenance I just shy away from spending a lot in consumables.

This will be a daily rider to and from work with some highway. Reliability and relatively low maintenance while still having over 50 ponies is what I’m after. I feel like the DRZ covers that even with the mods I plan to do. This will be used exclusively on road. No off road riding.

My main question is should I be considering anything else and is there a flaw in my plan I’m not seeing?
Thanks guys glad to be here!

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMHO a DRZ will always be.. kinda too heavy, slow and badly outdated. Yes, with a tone of patience they're a great bike to learn how to ride fast once you figure out how to ride it without applying the brakes, but after coming off an RSV, Tuono, and a R6.. you might get bore of it pretty quickly. They're kinda the jack of all trades, yet master of none.

Again, this is only my opinion. The DRZ is usually rock solid reliable, and it comes equipped with a VAST, almost cult like following that will defend the DRZ's honour to their very last breath.. But, when I owned one.. I felt it was just kinda meh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate a response.

Is the forum typically pretty active or is everyone just done with the “what bike should I get?” Question.

I realize it’s an over played question but I haven’t owned a bike for roughly a year now and I just want to talk bikes. I’ve been staring at spec sheets and watching YouTube videos and I guess I’m yearning for some conversation and fresh opinions.

I think you’re right about outgrowing it quickly. Maybe a DRZ would be a better second bike. I’m thinking I should just bite the bullet and up my budget. I started look at the Husqvarna 701 and the 690 SMC. At 70+ ponies they have considerably more than a DRZ stroker. Plus all the electronic crap TC and auto-blipper.

My issue is, if I up my budget to afford those bikes then I can afford another Tuono. The prices on used 790 Dukes are starting to come down too. Once you up the budget to 8-10K it opens up so many possibilities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts