SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a DRZ with 2 sets of wheels. One for off road one SUMO. Can anyone tell me what DRZ would be a better way to go? I ride enduro/ moto (trails/ tracks) off road and long adventure street/trail rides.

Thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm also looking at getting a drz but want to know what way to go, get a 400s then get a sumo setup or get a sumo and get dirt rims.

Id like to get the S then get forged rims just to make it different. I've looked at the upgrade sets at Motostrano and I'm wondering if upgrading the brake is necessary. If so then I'd have to also get a new same size rotor for the dirt rim, correct? Or is a S.S. line kit enough. Yes I know biggers better but just wanted to hear it from people who have done it.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go to Thumpertalk.com. Search for S to SM conversion (or SM to S conversion) in the drz 400 forum.

I believe you get more bang for your buck with the SM, and that the SM to S conversion is cheaper than the S to SM. That being said, you'll need to run the SM Discs both front and rear.....thats what I did.

C

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Your best bet is to convert a DRZ400SM, it has the inverted forks and kicks ass offroad. I personally think it is better in the dirt than on the pavement. The SM suspension is too soft for any real SM action but spot on for dirt. The S or E wheels bolt on with zero problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks! Thats what I was lean towards. This whole getting another bike thing is really getting to me. I need a mottard!
My
current ride is an BMW 07 F650gs that I put a tons of miles on in the past year. Did just about every mod you can to it and now need another toy. I sold the sportbikes once I learned you can chase them down on a thumper with knobs....in a comfortable position....LOL.

The mottard will fit just fine. I've been looking at all thats available in supermot plus possibly making my own. I'm going to look at a left over 07 SM610 Husky...(for cheap), less that the sticker of an 08 drz, but I don't think I want that big of a motor. I want something on the smaller size so can teach my kid more about riding and gain a riding buddy in the process. So there....I've justified another bike in the garage.

I like the DRZ. Seems theres a ton of mods to do that will keep my wallet light.
Thanks for the reply and pass along any other kind words about the DRZ.

Hey Jolly705, words to live by....:lol:Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!

·
Registered
137 Posts
It depends if you are talking new or used. I got by drz400s for $1600 used and added the sumo wheels and brakes and hand guards and revalved and resprung the suspension for my weight. And I'm still out under $3500, yes it does have the crappy carb and the crappy forks, but crappy forks valved for my weight is better than nice forks that suck. I think next time I would do the e model just to get the carb and the air box mod and higher compression already done. My buddy went that way and it cost about the same and his bike hits a little harder than mine. Heres some picks of mine http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=52454

1 - 7 of 7 Posts