SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
the drz runs a dry sump oil system. its impossible to correctly check the oil level without running it.

run it, let it sit for a minute, and check the level.

for more information, read up on dry sump oil systems.

·
Registered
876 Posts
When you guys DO change your oil (and filter) do you just throw in the whole 2 quarts or chuck 100mL of it in the garbage everytime? (because the owners manual says 1.9mL). It just irritates me to throw brand new oil away and I can't see 100mL doing any damage but do you guys know if it will?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Just do the full 2 quarts. Dry sump frame has room for the extra and there is no worry of it splashing and foaming as in a traditional wet (oil in case) system.

And with a DRZ400 of any type, you better be changing your oil frequently (1-2k).

And as already posted, it's not really a matter of oil temp, but rather running the bike long enough to pump the oil back up into the frame where the level can be checked on the dipstick properly. If the bike was run for a minute or two with 60 deg oil or 160 deg oil, it won't make a difference.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just do the full 2 quarts. Dry sump frame has room for the extra and there is no worry of it splashing and foaming as in a traditional wet (oil in case) system.

And with a DRZ400 of any type, you better be changing your oil frequently (1-2k).

And as already posted, it's not really a matter of oil temp, but rather running the bike long enough to pump the oil back up into the frame where the level can be checked on the dipstick properly. If the bike was run for a minute or two with 60 deg oil or 160 deg oil, it won't make a difference.
Cool. Thanks for the info:thumbup:
I was a little concerned because I did my oil & filter change and went for a ride, checked my oil level and it was OVER the full mark on the dipstick and I only put in 2qts . I just want to make sure it doesn't damage it. I let the crankcase and frame drain til they were barely even dripping areound the hole but I didn't run the motor first. Is it really THAT important to do that unless you're in a cold climate? I mean it was 90deg here today. Im assuming that if you change it cold, more oil will have settled in the bottom and you will remove more of it, but any particulate would have settled in nooks and crannies and wouldn't neccesarily drain out too. If you drain it warm, then you may have stirred up the particles and more would come out with the oil but now more of your engine is re-coated with oil and less oil would actually drain out. Is this right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
As mentioned, the extra 200mL will not harm a dry sump system...

What I have found to be the most accurate oil check procedure for my DRZ 400 SM is to start the engine from cold. Idle for 3 minutes. Shut it down for 3 minutes. Check the oil level.

Thanks!
Cris

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info:thumbup:
I was a little concerned because I did my oil & filter change and went for a ride, checked my oil level and it was OVER the full mark on the dipstick and I only put in 2qts . I just want to make sure it doesn't damage it. I let the crankcase and frame drain til they were barely even dripping areound the hole but I didn't run the motor first. Is it really THAT important to do that unless you're in a cold climate? I mean it was 90deg here today. Im assuming that if you change it cold, more oil will have settled in the bottom and you will remove more of it, but any particulate would have settled in nooks and crannies and wouldn't neccesarily drain out too. If you drain it warm, then you may have stirred up the particles and more would come out with the oil but now more of your engine is re-coated with oil and less oil would actually drain out. Is this right?
change when HOT. the oil flows faster, and it's stirred up. if there is anything solid floating, you have a better chance of getting it out of the case/frame.

cold oil changes feel like it's only 1/2 done to me. besides, it's ready to go play again that much quicker. :clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts