1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's like an addiction you know...

fixing things that aren't broken.

As one of the great internet forum junkies once said,
"The KTM headlight is a joke--I'd have more light from holding a candle in one hand."
Or something like that.

So out came the bulb and in went the HID.

First things first:
I used DDM Tuning for the kit, a 35w 5000K single low-beam kit. ($25).
35W to have the "safe than sorry" approach to my Dr. Zed's stator,
5000K because I wanted a very pure white with no yellow,
and a single-low beam because I'd read that a hi beam was pretty obnoxious
and it may have gotten tricky in my head light assembly.
The kit came from China, and took about a week from date of order to my door step.

Link:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Overall, the wires and connectors feel good on the kit. I'm actually pretty surprised...for 25 bucks I would expect some chintsiness, but in truth the whole thing feels pretty dang solid. I've heard that the quality control from this company is good and from all appearances that's true.

The first order of business was to see about the bulb.
The KTM head light assembly I have strapped to the DRZ is from an '07/'08ish EXC model with a BA20D bulb--which kinda sucks. After hours of searching I found the best guess for a good modding match was the H4 bulb, and that seems to be true...lucky me! :bannana:
The long version will be posted in a video below, but for you brass tacks guys here's the short low down:
The mounting ring on the H4 bulb is literally about 2mm too wide to let the bulb assembly fully slide into the headlight lens. I shaved/filed the edges and it dropped in like a champ. Using the hooks on the back of the reflector I grabbed a heavy piece of wire and looped it thru the hooks and across the back of the H4 bulb plate. This held the bulb into the assembly very firmly and snugly.
In all honesty, I had what I thought would be the toughest part done in about 45 minutes worth of thinking and work.
So file the edges of the nylon H4 bulb plate till it drops into the BA20D slot, and then strap it in using heavy duty wire. That's the big BA20D to H4 conversion DIY secret.
:thumbup:

I had some wiring shenanigans that made things a lot trickier, again, because the first owner of this bike was an idiot.
After the fast success of the bulb swap I hoped to be done in an hour. Pfffff.
The final assembly had to wait till the next day, but I did get a test in. :D :D :D

Note that in the above pic my reflector was upside down, which is why the pattern is wonky.
More on this later. It also looks blue-er than it really is.

Now, where to put this darn thing...:headscrat

The next day I was ready to find a place for the ballast and the other little magical black box where the gnomes make it all happen.
If the wires to/from the ballast had been longer by another 10" it would have been much easier to find a place behind the engine/under the seat for it all. The ballast itself is not huge: maybe the size of a deck of cards, only slightly thinner. You'd think that it would be a slam dunk to find a spot for it, but between my KTM headlight and the wiring rats nest behind it, I was a tad short on reasonable space.
Eventually the ballast went under the front of the tank with the magical black box.
Yes, zip ties are about as classy as a plastic flamingo in front of a single wide, but I had no choice. Worse, I was out of the black ones.
At least I got to use that split-tubing from Home Depot.

Finally it was back together...and it worked.
A night test ride revealed that the light was WAAYYYY too high...after a lot more shenanigans I realized that the reflector (on the bulb itself) went on the BOTTOM, not on the TOP. It's kind of counter-intuitive until one thinks about the way the light reflects. :bannana:
So now the light was too LOW but a quick adjustment fixed that...now this thing floods like crazy. It's easily 2X-3X brighter than the stock bulb...
I really am ok without a high-beam light. The spill over gives a nice view of the up close road and the sides of the road.
In the pic below you can see how it looks. I daresay it might actually be brighter than the pic suggests. The orange detour sign is perhaps 200ish yards off.
As you can see, the pic suggests that there's little if any blue in the light, and it's true.
Looking at the headlight itself gives a blue-ish impression, but to the rider it looks pretty darned white. 5000K for the win!
Hopefully I'll get my vids edited and online soon. In the mean time, here's the pix.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I installed the 55w kit on my WR250X. The bulb started not coming on sometimes on startup after 6 months. Had to turn key off then back on while rolling at a good clip to get it to start. Progressively got worse and more often not starting. Its been a bit less than a year and now the bulb is burnt out.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ordered a Hi/Lo 35w 5000K kit from them last week for my Husky 630, should be here today or tomorrow :D

We'll see how it holds up. I'm not throwing away my Silverstar Ultra just yet, but I need something better...

·
Registered
155 Posts
On the up side since its all plugs instead of solder or connections, it only took about 10 mins to switch back to stock, most of that was aiming (had to point it as far down as possible for the HID to get it safe instead of blinding to other drivers)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a 5000k single low beam in the stock housing on my drz. Honestly I might just go back to the halogen bulb, it's annoying not having a high beam and having to remember to make sure it's on in the daytime. It was nice to be able to turn it off for electric starts but the kick starter eliminated that whole issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
bought a hi/low car kit back in Sept last year for $35 shipped, haven't had a single problem with it. and i've still got an unused spare bulb, ballast & relay for my Triumph project. :)

packaged everything behind the stock DR headlight frame, keeps it nice & cool. works great & keeps the cagers from saying they can't see me.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ordered a Hi/Lo 35w 5000K kit from them last week for my Husky 630, should be here today or tomorrow :D

We'll see how it holds up. I'm not throwing away my Silverstar Ultra just yet, but I need something better...
Got it in, nice and bright, good color. Relay had outputs for 2 ballasts, so I clipped the extra 4ft of harness and capped it. Hardest part was packaging the ballast, not a ton of room behind the headlight, so it went on the side of the neck under the front of the tank...

Low beam is good, but high beam goes to pot. The shield is in right but i might need to open it a bit for better throw on high. I think the bulb comes back too far past the opening when it retracts...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I actually did an HID for my KTM and I decided to just use my origional headlight to just swap right in rather than shave it down to fit in the 08 light. Im kinda glad I did, I like having the ability to have a high beam and actually kinda look the old light better

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice setup Vintage! I wish mine looked that clean!

After a few night rides after work I can definitely state that:
- the upgrade is easily worth it
- the HID is certainly 2-3X brighter than stock
- I don't need a hi-beam

I was riding in my '04 Civic tonight, and I started thinking...geez, I think my moto headlight is brighter than both my
car low beams combined...

·
Registered
155 Posts
They don't have high beam kits for the DRZ? mine had a bulb that would move around a shield. On low beam it was full forward and a guard blocked out part of the light and limited its height. On high beam it slid back and bypassed the shield using the whole reflector. The beam pattern looked the same as the stock high / low pattern.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about getting a HID kit, but like you my current bulb is a ba20d,
did you ever get round to putting the video up or do you have any pictures of how you secured the bulb?

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
In all seriousness, DITCH THE HID'S AND BUY THESE LED AUXILIARY LIGHTS! :D
They blow the HID I had out of the water...

Here's a comparison, facing downhill a bit. They light up signs a mile away like Christmas lights. I added a relay to my high beam circuit to turn them on, so no extra switches.

Low

High with LEDs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey Jake,

I need to! I'm in the middle of a huge essay...but I'll see what I can do.
Long story short: If you order the H4 HID kit it's really easy. It takes 2 minutes with a dremel and I used
a heavy piece of wire to loop around the hooks for the BA20D mount and it holds it in there just fine.

However, if you want to do it right (ie not cheap like me lol), there is some guy who does KTM headlight mods and he has a
nylon adapter plate that takes the mount from a BA20D to an H4 or H11 or something. It's like $25 or so...he's down in Tucson.

RD's LEDs are COOL, (and I suddenly need a set), but I doubt they're $27 like the HID kit is. In a perfect world, I'd run both. :D

RDTCU -
those LEDs are BAD A!!! What are they and where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
hey Jake,

I need to! I'm in the middle of a huge essay...but I'll see what I can do.
Long story short: If you order the H4 HID kit it's really easy. It takes 2 minutes with a dremel and I used
a heavy piece of wire to loop around the hooks for the BA20D mount and it holds it in there just fine.

However, if you want to do it right (ie not cheap like me lol), there is some guy who does KTM headlight mods and he has a
nylon adapter plate that takes the mount from a BA20D to an H4 or H11 or something. It's like $25 or so...he's down in Tucson.
I think ill go for the cheap version lol, im from the UK so its probably easier. So did you trim the bulb base to fit it in the original bulb holder or just onto the back of the headlight. Yours may be slightly different as i dont have the ktm headlight, ive got the polisport mmx but it still has the same BA20D bulb.

Thanks
Jake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts