SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im converting my drz400s to a sm, got the wheels, plastics, had some questions about the forks, i can pick up some rmz forks real cheap from a friend. what do i do about the triple clamps and stem? has anyone done this before? any help would be great

·
Registered
34 Posts
im converting my drz400s to a sm, got the wheels, plastics, had some questions about the forks, i can pick up some rmz forks real cheap from a friend. what do i do about the triple clamps and stem? has anyone done this before? any help would be great
You will need the triples as well: I copied a list of what fits the drz for another forum below:

OK So here is a lot of info for those of you looking to put RM USD Forks on a DRZ.

First off lets start with stock RM triple clamp offsets and the forks that came on each model.....

1999 - 2000 RM125 / 250 - 24.5 offset - 49mm USD Showa Forks
2001 - 2004 RM125 - 24.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks
2001 - 2003 RM250 - 24.5 offset - 46mm USD Kayaba Forks
2004 RM250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks
2005 RM125 / 250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks
2005 RMZ450 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

I can't remember where I read it, but newer rmz stuff doesn't work. I have the 99-00 rm set up on my E and it works just fine. The newer forks will have more of an aftermarket following for clamps, springs, etc.

good luck!!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
whats your budget? you can rebuild your S forks.. it'll be a whole helluva lot cheaper, plus rebuilding your S forks and having them setup correctly will produce better results than having stock RM/RMZ forks.. did i mention it would be cheaper?
:bannana:

ive rode a friends S model with reworked forks and 17s and its much nicer than the stock drzsm suspension

even if you go with the RM forks, rebuild them for your weight/riding style. it's hands down one of the best things you can do for a drz

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an 03 E model an had the forks resprung, revalved and setup for my weight they work like a dream. The only thing that USD forks have over conventional type is if your looking to do some serious motocross they work a bit better as conventional type forks can tend to 'wander' a bit under hard work big whoops ruts etc (although most guys couldn't tell the difference between a correctly setup conventional fork to USD anyhow).

Other than that if your an average rider and aren't looking for serious offroad adventures your standard forks setup for you will do you wonders! Hands down getting my suspension dialled in for me was the best bang for buck work I've done on the DRZ!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts