SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so heres the deal about two weeks ago I tried starting up my bike and it was being a pain. though it was just a low battery at first but soon found it wasnt the problem. I took the carb off and cleaned it really good and inspected it to make sure everything was still good and it was, I also cleaned the fuel filter and took apart the peacock and it was still good. After I did this the bike started right up, go driving down the road and it died not to far after. so rolled it back took everything off and checked to see if I had spark and compression and had both! put everything back on and it started right up..... again go down the road and it dies....

Things to help
2000 drz 400s 4400 miles
it is dyno jetted. possible screwed it up?
I have a k&n filter on it... not sure but when I take it off it seems to get better flow
I have to give it a little gas to get it started up.
Brand new battery

Please help me out guys if there is any other info that would help just tell me and I will get it

I did buy an fcr that will be here soon because I thought the carb was the problem be here soon

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
if you have not done it yet disconnect the Kick Stand Safety Switch --the switch goes bad and are totally useless anyways -

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did definately check the vent hoses. I will be home in to my bike in a few days i will check for cracks in the intake boot. Also i have to have it idle pretty high for it to stay on. It seems to die when i down shift to an idle at a stop sign.... im really guessing that i f'd up the jetting when i did the dyno jet kit. Fcr will be here in a few days hopefully it will solve the problem

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it runs fine then all of a sudden bogs out then u could have a carb float issue. Try taking the bowl off, and making sure the floats are properly set and the needle and seat have no obstructions...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the peacock off and took it apart and it looks fine. I will have to try the bowl float

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It's not the petcock itself. There is a vacuum line that runs from the intake boot to the back of the petcock. If that line is not connected, or the line is compromised, the petcock will not let gas flow when the engine is running. A quick check is to try the petcock on prime. On prime it does not require the vacuum signal to let gas flow. If it works on prime then your vacuum line likely is not correct.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay todays issues. Put the bikes peacock to on instead of primary, bike started right up no problem. Bike seems to run good and it stays on during idle. drive it down the road about two miles and as im pulling back into the drive way it dies...... pull in the clutch give it a little gas hit the start and boom starts up and going good. I stop bike dies again. From this Im guessing it is a bowl float iusse. please correct me if you feel otherwise

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
the bike just kills it doesnt bog down or putt as though its burning fumes to stay running. both the vaccum and gas lines are clear and dont have any cracks. Also no cracks in the boots

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another update. waited about an half an hour and went to start the bike. (on primary) started right up. went down the road a little bit and works fine when I am accelerating and can start to feel when its going to die so I give it some gas and it will keep going for awhile.....

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
after rereading your post it sounds like you Installed a Dyno Jet kit --

if that what you did and the problems started after that than it bound to be fuel related -
carbs are some what easy to bend parts or not install correctly or adjust properly -

also have you drained the float bowel - could be some water or crap floating around in gas -

its Very easy to bend Float adjusting tab when assembling carb and it will cause all kinds of problems -

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I put the Fcr in now and it runs. but I had to change the needle all the way down to the last notch to keep it running. and it will still die after awhile as Im going...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I put the Fcr in now and it runs. but I had to change the needle all the way down to the last notch to keep it running. and it will still die after awhile as Im going...
[/QUOTE

so did you ever fix the issue? What did it turn out to be?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts