SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks!

Just thought I'd pipe up about my new ride!

I have been looking for just the right machine for a while now. A 640/690/950/990 of Orange Persuasion has been on the short list for quite some time. Well I got excited after talking to a couple of different fellas who were potentially selling a 640 and 990 Adventure, but that's all it amounted to. Just talk. Things were moving in the right direction so I was getting worked up for a new rig!! And then nothing materialized, but I was ready to go!

And then, I found this Beauty just recently! A BRAND NEW 2009 DRZ400SM! Yup! Brand new old-stock at a dealer! For a great price! I couldn't believe it was there waiting for me.

Well I have been a SM fan from day one and new I would always have one some day, and that day came about a couple of weeks ago! I also have followed MX from way back to Bob Hannah when I was just a little shaver, and still have VHS tapes I recorded on a Fisher top-loader of Bailey, Johnson, and the O' Show! I never thought anything could get more advanced than my 1979 YZ 250! I have been riding since I was 8 years old and have had 2 or 3 bikes of various types at any given time.

Yeah I had always wanted to plate a CRF,YZF, etc... But I was not excited about oil changes every weekend and the other maintenance required, even though I do enjoy wrenching. I also would rather have not got into a Euro SUMO since I want a 990 Adventure R at some point and I like to mix it up.

Back to the Dizzer!

I am looking forward to farkling her up and got the UPS wheels in motion the day I signed the papers on her!!

I also need to pull some parts and go through the TT 400 FAQ fixes as well...

I have been lurking ADV, SMJ, and TT for a good long while and there's a ton of great info for certain!

I peeled the factory graphics the second the I got it home. Reflectors came off. Bottom part of rear fender got cut off. Enduro bag came off. I also started dialing in the sag, compression, and rebound... I am 6' 2" and 165 pounds, so luckily the factory spring is in my wheelhouse and acceptable for now...

Here she is before the transformation of mods!

Thanks!!
Cris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Howdy Folks!

Just thought I'd pipe up about my new ride!

I have been looking for just the right machine for a while now. A 640/690/950/990 of Orange Persuasion has been on the short list for quite some time. Well I got excited after talking to a couple of different fellas who were potentially selling a 640 and 990 Adventure, but that's all it amounted to. Just talk. Things were moving in the right direction so I was getting worked up for a new rig!! And then nothing materialized, but I was ready to go!

And then, I found this Beauty just recently! A BRAND NEW 2009 DRZ400SM! Yup! Brand new old-stock at a dealer! For a great price! I couldn't believe it was there waiting for me.

Well I have been a SM fan from day one and new I would always have one some day, and that day came about a couple of weeks ago! I also have followed MX from way back to Bob Hannah when I was just a little shaver, and still have VHS tapes I recorded on a Fisher top-loader of Bailey, Johnson, and the O' Show! I never thought anything could get more advanced than my 1979 YZ 250! I have been riding since I was 8 years old and have had 2 or 3 bikes of various types at any given time.

Yeah I had always wanted to plate a CRF,YZF, etc... But I was not excited about oil changes every weekend and the other maintenance required, even though I do enjoy wrenching. I also would rather have not got into a Euro SUMO since I want a 990 Adventure R at some point and I like to mix it up.

Back to the Dizzer!

I am looking forward to farkling her up and got the UPS wheels in motion the day I signed the papers on her!!

I also need to pull some parts and go through the TT 400 FAQ fixes as well...

I have been lurking ADV, SMJ, and TT for a good long while and there's a ton of great info for certain!

I peeled the factory graphics the second the I got it home. Reflectors came off. Bottom part of rear fender got cut off. Enduro bag came off. I also started dialing in the sag, compression, and rebound... I am 6' 2" and 165 pounds, so luckily the factory spring is in my wheelhouse and acceptable for now...

Here she is before the transformation of mods!

Thanks!!
Cris

welcome to the club, mate.

what was the thinking behind peeling off the oem graphics? fitting an aftermarket set?

ive noticed a lot of yanks do the same thing, instantly devaluing a brand new bike :headscrat

i personally bought another set of plastics with graphics pre-fitted when i had my drz as i knew itd fetch more in its original state when it came to selling it.

anywho, hope you enjoy the bike. im sure i wont be the first to say do the 3x3, new pipe and rejet as soon as possible :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

I did not care for the barb wire theme in the least. I prefer the bare white. I will also be creating a template to cover the tank decals until I get my IMS plastic tank.

I have many mods in the works so stay tuned for photos and impressions! :)

I know you have all seen these modifications a million times so let me know if you don't need to see it all again! :lol:

Fear not... An MRD/SSW and FCR are on the short list! :thumbup:

I have already made several changes and can post the progress.

List of mods...

Trail Tech X2 DS (55w low and high beam)
Acerbis SM front fender
Edge II
Bikemaster LED turn indicators
DRC wide pegs
UFO black sliders
Cycra Pro Bends
MSR Shifter
CRG Hindsight (x2)
Zeta rubber killer
SME peg sliders
MRD /SSW + FCR
Michelin PP 160 + 120
Various ZETA billet goodies
Home brew mount for a Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS
Clutch switch defeat
Kickstand switch defeat

Thanks!!
Cris

·
Registered
316 Posts
thats a tasty list of gizmos for the drz.

i wouldve done a similar thing but im on a bit of a budget i guess so doing the ktm mod seemed like a more cost efficient power mod in the long run :rofl:

pics of progress would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree! :D

My nearest KTM shop is 75 miles away. This rules out a lot of KTM plans rather quickly.

Otherwise I would definitely be the proud Father of a bouncing baby 690 SMC right now!:lol:

Meanwhile, I am having a ton of fun on the DRZ!

Thanks!
Cris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First run of mods!

Trail Tech X2 Dual Sport

(upgraded from 35w to 55w)
Impressions: Well engineered. High quality. Great packaging. Color is way off. There is a purplish tint to the white. Not even close to the Suzuki white... (install info and more impressions forthcoming)

The high beam is a 55w from Trail Tech, and I got a Hella 55w H3 (for less than $5) to switch out with the 35w bulb shipped with the unit.

One thing I like about the X2 (besides that I think it looks good) is that when I want a little more oomph, the unit will disconnect in moments if I decide to throw on an 8" for country road riding with very little ambient light.

My plan is to have two seperate headlamp applications for certain trips. Either can be carried in a backpack. I want them to be quick-change lights. I know it sounds goofy but I like lights!!

DRC Edge II Fender Eliminator

Impressions: Well thought out with high quality feel. The included turn indicator brackets only accomodate 8mm stalks. This unit is a perfect fitment match to the DRZ 400 SM.

As mentioned many times, a great product and a MUST for the DRZ!

Pull off the right side panel, seat, and rear fender. Next, unplug the 3 factory connectors above the air box.

Next, cut the factory tail light and turn signal connectors at least 6 inches up from where they terminate.

I cut, and implemented the factory connectors to the new LEDs. This makes future endeavors with disassembly much easier.

I use a digital solder station that heats up to 675 degrees in less than 30 seconds, and works exceptionally well, so I just look for reasons to solder stuff!!

I also used this opportunity of disassembly to ‘jumper’ the clutch switch and kickstand switch.

Bikemaster LED Turn Indicators

Impressions: Really small. Stout feel. Nice looking carbon fiber finish. VERY bright! I went with the carbon fiber finish and it looks good.

I am currently using the factory relay and the indicators blink marginally fast. No biggie. I can live with it...

My only irritation with the Edge II is that they don’t make the license plate holder wide enough for US moto plates, so I drilled 2 appropriately placed holes in the license plate to match up with the Edge II. Also, the included turn indicator brackets are drilled for 8mm stalks, so bear that in mind for your own application. It just happened to work out for me and the indicators I used. The factory indicators will require a different mount set up.

The LED tail light and brake light are quite bright, as well as the license plate light. The turn signals are exceptionally bright! The lenses are clear, but the LEDs are orange.

Notice the side by side difference between the factory set up and the newer, more sleek layout!! Huhhhhhh!??? Nice!

I am very, very glad I got rid of the WWII era factory tail light and went with the Edge II!

Sidenote: I dumped the factory oil after the first 100 miles. Looked great (I break my motors in fairly aggressively) and there was barely just a little steel dust on the drain plug magnet.

More install discussion and pics to follow. Next up: the Trail Tech X2 headlamp, Cycra Pro Bend hand guards, Acerbis SUMO front fender, and more after that!!

It’s all finished and on the bike, I just need to get it all posted.

Thanks!
Cris

Stripped down and ready for mods.

Super sleek! Simple yet well executed product.

Whoa! What a difference!! Stocker is heavy too!

Stay tuned for more!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
steel braided front brake line and suspension. If I were to go back to do it all over again, i would have done those two first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D :D :D

Trail Tech X2 Dual Sport head lamp assembly Install

First, begin to disassemble the plastic factory headlight housing cover.

Next remove the bolts holding the actual headlight to the factory brackets. The factory (throttle) cable guide will also need to be removed.

Once everything is off, you are now ready to remove the factory brackets which hold the entire assembly to the fork tubes.

The front fender needs to come off so the Trail Tech plastic alignment pins can then be fit between the lower clamp and the front fender. This will marry the bottom of the head light and the fender. I have an Acerbis SM front fender to go back on in place of the factory fender. The Acerbis fender is much smaller and looks better IMO. It also has much better engine venting at the backside. The white color is “off” significantly from the factory Suzuki white…

Carefully wrap masking tape around the fork tube where it meets the lower clamp. Next use a sharpie and make an index mark where the tube meets the clamp on the tube. Do the same for the other side.

Suspend the bike from garage rafters (or a tree, or whatever) by the handle bars using tie downs. Watch so you don’t hose up the controls!! Be sure to get the front end high enough to drop the tubes ALMOST all the way out of the lower clamps. This will need to be done in order to shimmy the factory brackets off and out of the way. The front wheel does NOT need to come off. There is enough slack in the front brake hose for this to not be an issue. Unscrew the speedo cable from the gauge cluster. Loosen all but ONE of the lower clamp screws from each side. To make things easier, you will need a buddy to help with the sliding.

Once the last two lower clamp screws are loose, it will not take much effort to slide down the fork tubes. They will need to come down to where the top of the tubes slide down to near the top of the lower tube clamps. Now the guy not holding the dropped tubes, must shimmy the factory brackets up and off the tubes. They are seated in rubber gaskets so there is a little resistance, but not bad.

Once off, slide the tubes back up in the clamps and align with the tape and index marks you made earlier. I have never had alignment issue using this method, so if there is no other reason you need to take off the front wheel, leave it on.

This was the hardest part of the process. Not necessarily hard, but requires a little bit of concentration.

Place the Trail Tech plastic alignment pin between the lower clamp and the front fender while mounting the fender. This will marry the bottom of the head light and the fender. For the DRZ, place everything in a position that allows for the highest beam level, to lessen the amount of movement you will need to make at the adjusters. YMMV with other applications.

Now begin to compress and zip-tie the wiring harness gently into the clutch side of the fork tub/head tube opening. Remember to keep the headlight plug accessible. It’s a tight fit, but after several times of taking off the X2 to adjust the beam height, the wiring harnesses becomes more and more pliable.

The bottom of the X2 drops into the pin plate mounted between the fender and the fender mount. Before mine got mounted, I swapped out the 35W low beam H3 with a 55W H3.

The rubber straps on the X2 make for and easy on-and-off especially when coupled with the plug-and-play version of the light… I feel the rubber straps are easy to take on and off contrary to what other reviewers have stated.

Impressions:

While I love the form factor of the light itself, the lesser weight (over the heavy factory unit,) and the ease of mounting once the initial footwork is complete, the brightness of the low beam projector is lacking even with a 55W H3. I can easily see myself swapping out to an HID set up for the low beam. Especially since I have found some pretty good deals for aftermarket HID kits with small digital ballasts. The cut of the low beam projector makes a VERY distinct cut off on the road. From Trail Tech, the level of the projector is set off to 20 feet in front of the front fender, so plan on adjusting it before it is even installed for the first time.

Swapping low beam bulbs is a minor irritation because the entire back of the assembly needs to come apart by removing a handful of screws that are snugged into the plastic. Although this does make for a system secure from moisture.

The tint of the white is not even close to the Suzuki white, and has a significant purplish tint! Not even close to a deal breaker for me personally. I like the contrast from the white plastic to the black headlight surround.

I have no interest in wiring both beams to turn on with the high beam switch. The high beam would overpower the low beam enough to not even warrant the added draw to the system.

The high beam on the X2 is great, and I have yet to get flashed by other night motorists. The high beam is not adjustable for height.

Even with the lackluster performance of the low beam projector and a standard 55W H3, I would still recommend this modification over the stock application. The low beam projector is begging for an HID set-up!

Thanks!!
Cris

Stay tuned for install of Cycra Pro Bends, DRC pegs, billet exhaust end cap, MSR shifter, Nuvi 550 mount, CRG mirrors, tank decal cover-up how-to, and more...

:D :D :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
what was the thinking behind peeling off the oem graphics? fitting an aftermarket set?

ive noticed a lot of yanks do the same thing, instantly devaluing a brand new bike :headscrat

i personally bought another set of plastics with graphics pre-fitted when i had my drz as i knew itd fetch more in its original state when it came to selling it.

:
I did the same thing to my WR250X, pealed all the factory stickers right off. It's my bike and I plan to own it. I really don't think anyone, except for noobs, really cares that much about some stickers when purchasing a used bike.

Stickers in the USA and Canada are dead weight, but I think superior European stickers make bikes go faster especially in England, thus the reason for the increase in value for a factory stickered bike. Why don't you do a comparison test through London and the lovely English countryside and post the results. I'm quite curious.:hmmm:

·
Registered
40 Posts
To OP. Did you get the x2 for the sm or general kit? I have a S model and wanted to know the difference between the two. I contacted trailtech and they did not know and said go with the general kit but I don't want to cut any wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts