SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I think this has been covered, but no good answers.....

I have a 2005 suzuki drz 400 sm, that was perfect, and I mean perfect like 90mph with one hand on the bars, untill today. I bought the conti 150/60/17 (from motostrano) and had it mounted and balanced(at a reputable bike shop) on the stock wheel, and installed the tire/wheel my self on the bike. It is at 29 psi. It is lined up as far as the reference lines on the swing arm to the blocks on the axle. I have changed nothing but the tire(from the stock dunlop) and i am now getting a wobble between 70 and 80 that is pretty bad. I do highway all the time and need this gone, and if it means getting the tire off the bike, i will. Has anyone found a fix???? I do like the tire as far as handling sharp corners goes but the wobble needs to go. Thank you all, and I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Even good reputable shops make mistakes. I have the exact same tires on my 2006 DRZ 400 sm and I've hit 94-95mph with no wobble. Bring it back and have them re-check the mounting and balancing. If there a good shop they should try to keep customers happy and re-check for free. Also, don't go back to the stock Dunlops if you can help it.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Even good reputable shops make mistakes. I have the exact same tires on my 2006 DRZ 400 sm and I've hit 94-95mph with no wobble. Bring it back and have them re-check the mounting and balancing. If there a good shop they should try to keep customers happy and re-check for free. Also, don't go back to the stock Dunlops if you can help it.
+1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess i dont have much choice, I was thinking ride the bike to the shop, have them ride and verifiy or something, so they dont think im nuts

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
If you gave them just the wheel before they will charge you to R&R the wheel if you take in the whole bike.

Are there any weights on it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes there is one weight, looks about .5 ounce????, and its almost opposite the valve stem. I think there was much more weight than that on the stock tire??

·
Registered
319 Posts
It could also be due to a different profile and/or tire height. You might try sliding the forks up through the triple clamps like 5mm if the shop re-balancing the wheel doesn't fix the wobble/weave.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Check your tire pressures too. If you have a stand lift the front off the ground and see if the stearing head bearings are loose.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i have the same problem.But i overhauled My XR and mounted some used tyres on used SM wheels.Also mounted a KTM 640SM WP 48mm forks on it so im still trying to find what makes this happen..steering starts to wooble about 80mph real hard.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the help, I'm going to remove the wheel/tire and have it rebalanced 1st thing on monday, and we'll see what happens

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well to all that have tryed to help, I thank you for your input. this is where I stand
I removed the tire and wheel and brought it back to where i had it mounted and balance originally. Told them all about my issue, they removed the weight and rebalanced and i ended up with the same amount of weight and on the same exact spoke. so balance is most definetly not the issue. Some one earlier in this post had mentioned to slide the fork's up thru the triple clamps, which I will try as soon as i have time. Is this because the tire is slightly taller??? also something I left out in the original post: I only changed the rear tire, factory front was still like 70% so I left it.
would running 2 different tires Cause wobble at speed?? also i am running the same exact tire pressure in the 150 rear tire as the 140, would this cause my issue?
Again thank you all for your advise. It is all genuinely appreciated

·
Registered
112 Posts
A newer or just simply taller rear tire will change the attitude of the bike by raising the rear. This reduces rake and trail which reduces straight line stability (but helps bike turn quicker/easier). I went from a rear tire that was showing threads to a brand new tire and it raised the rear a half inch at the axle (radius was 1/2 greater). I got used to it but I also don't go over 65 on my DRZ. I like it because it turns on a dime.

If you want to compensate for the larger diameter tire you installed, you will need to put the attitude of bike more towards the rear to get back to the rake and trail you had with the last tire. You can raise the front of the bike by 1) an increase in the front preload or 2) you can lower the forks in the triples. Don't think the DRZ has rear ride height but if it does you can lower it in the rear the same distance the new tire raised the rear. (Front preload is probably easiest to try but your sag numbers will change.)

Next time you replace a tire, measure the height of the axle from floor before and after the replacement. Use that distance to move the bike back to the original attitude. If you bikes steers slower 3000 miles from now, put the bike back on its nose again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
awesome, thank you guys all again for your response's, will try the fork tube slide trick when i get the time, will let you know how I make out..............

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well i found out the reason of my bike front wooble...i took the tyre off and the rim is really bent...its trash..but because i cant afford to buy one now i just will keep speed under 80 mph...

·
Registered
499 Posts
The other thing, that I have seen myself is a tube pinch when it was mounted from using the wrong tube size (same shop that scratched my nice black rims also..). Part of the tube had doubled back on itself (hard to visualize) and I just wrote it off to my tire having a big flat spot from a slide, but when I had another shop remount my new tire, they showed me what was going on and it looked like the wrong tube had been stuffed inside my old tire, creating a out of balance condition...

·
Registered
499 Posts
would running 2 different tires Cause wobble at speed?? also i am running the same exact tire pressure in the 150 rear tire as the 140, would this cause my issue?
Again thank you all for your advise. It is all genuinely appreciated
No, I ran the stock dunlop through 2 of the Different rears and noticed no difference. I do run The Conti front and rear now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts