SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With little time to ride, but wanting to have some fun, Slydrite and I decided to hit the local 'tard roads. On the last ride with Getagripgreg, Slydrite had found a road he said made Stage look like a well-paved freeway. So we took the two 'tards - the Drizz and the Wrecks - through abysmal traffic on 1 to the good road. And boy, was he right. A twisty one-and-a-half lane goat-trail, just made for 'tards.

With 30 miles total on my Rex, I finally had a chance to stretch its legs. It rocks. It's certainly not lacking in quickness up to 60mph, and the suspension is perfectly compliant over rough, rocky, broken, sandy, dirty terrain.

We hit Skyline, which felt perfectly dull after that. We pulled off for a drink of water. Two people on motos were having drinks with a higher alcohol content than we care to mix with riding, so we took off.

I had put new bars and handguards on the Rex. They're a good bit narrower and a skosh taller than the stockers, and that works well for me.

We did Pescadero, then hit Stage. Before going on Stage, we stopped to say hello to the peacocks. They were far too obsessed with their reflections to say hi back.

Someone out there has fewer horsepower than I do!

Slydrite left a trail of darkies on the pavement going into the corners for me to follow. The view of his back is one that I'm all too familiar with.

We stopped for Mexican food before getting back on overcrowded 1 for the slog home. However, Sharp Park was a good final ya-ya.

I couldn't be more pleased with the Yammie. Very light, very flickable, very compliant. Mileage - 50mpg on the first fillup, 66mpg on the second. Slydrite - "You're not caning it enough!"

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nice pics! Never seen a white peacock before...wtf?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank ye!

Yes, that place is the only place I've seen a white peacock. On the previous trip, there was a brown peacock out there...!

Yep, Highway 1. I'm in CA, in the Bay Area. Pretty sunsets around there.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Wow. Being raised here in the mountains there aren't many places I'd rather be. But those last shots of the sunset make me wish I was there on the beach. Nice shots man, what'd you take 'em with?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's often foggy and nasty at the coast, so you have to live through a lot of that in order to get a little pretty show once in a while. :p I took those with my Olympus E-500 dSLR.

(I'm not a man, though. :) )

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Great story and pics, you should post more often, great reading, Have thought about packing my DSLR but haven't yet, how do you carry? I'm in Fresno and planning to do a Yosemite/Tioga Pass run this summer, you gal's/guy's should join us? We'll have to be on our best behavier in the park (or face firing squad) but it still would be fun to chill in the valley on a buncha Sumo's and Tioga Pass is Amazing talk about photo opps!
crash

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I zip-tied the Cortech Mini bag to the tail; I could probably stuff my SLR in there. I took the pics from the Rex ride with my Panasonic FZ8, which is a decent enough P&S. :) My FZ6 with the Givi bags spoiled me for carrying capacity!

I like the look of the Yamaha rear rack, but $175 is pretty steep...!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts