SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't have SM boots, so I knee out lean. However when I really lean hard my damn peg hits and sends the ass end into a frenzy which makes my asshole try to eat my seat :lol:
I come from sportbikes, I usually pretty much keep my ass planted instead of jumping from side to side like on the norm but I try to hang my upper body off as you would on a sporty(kiss the mirror). Anyone experience this and have a solution? 01' XR650R btw.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peg sliders
I thought those were just to keep from tearing up your local track pavement? How would they help my situation?

·
Registered
40 Posts
well, hang your ass off the seat, the point off hanging off is to get your weight inside the turn so the bike don't have to lean as much. If you are hanging off correctly and still dragging peg then I hope you have a really good set of tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hope its helpfull

I come from the Ski Race world. and being ridding bikes since childhood.:coffee:

And i have found similar terminology. As u might know. skiing its all about turning in the most efficient way. and for that.
Where all that its keeping you contact with the snow is 2 metal pieces thinner that 2mm.
The way that the skier will manage his weight, angles and pressure control will determine his performance...

U can Archive full tire contact on your turning. by two different methods. Inclination and angulation.
What we look for on a sharp turn, is to bring our center of mass to the interior of the turn. so we generate a load (pressure) on the grippiest area of our tire... that's why everyone inclinates in to the new turn. but if inclination happens with out angulation there will be a delay in your ability to finish the turn quickly. because your center of mass will be displaced in the inside. That's why we ad the angulation. What in a motorcycle will look like moving your A$$ from side to side. (check some Valentino Rossi Vid's and u will see) so your center of mass will be down in to your hips and that will add pressure control on your driving.
This should solve your peg dragging Issue. Angulate your body to keep the center of mass inside the turn.. so Blocked inclination its not your only turning Skill.

here as pretty Good Video. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63gaw1nOc3w

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you come from sportbikes, you know to get the ass off the seat. You don't lean as much = more rubber on the road = faster turning.
If your ass is on the seat, you're raising your centre of gravity = more lean = slower in turns.

I come from sportbikes, I usually pretty much keep my ass planted instead of jumping from side to side like on the norm but I try to hang my upper body off as you would on a sporty(kiss the mirror).

See here:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
^^Yep, pretty much it right there. You only need to slide one ass cheek off the seat, and more and you're just hanging off just to hang off. This also lets your leg rotate down and out the needed amount without being constricted by you sitting on your glutes, binding up the hip, friction from your leathers, etc.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The very 1st time I took it to the kart track I was hanging off because that's how I ride my sport bike at the road course. The first tight turn I tried to let it all hang out on warm tires I low sided because my peg lifted my rear tire. I'm not saying that a good supermoto rider couldn't have came out of the slide or even taken the turn faster but I am saying I had good body position. That being said, I have looked into it and the simple answer is the soft suspension on the XR just isn't made for that kind of riding. Since then I have gotten much smoother and faster lap times at the track but I am limited by my suspension as to how hard I can actually turn. If anybody feels like I'm missing something or if anybody rolls a stock suspension setup on an XR650R and thinks I'm doing something wrong please let me know as ALL the posts thus far have had good ideas its just that I have all ready done them. Thanks guys.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You need to be concious of the peg hitting the ground and lighten the amount of weight you are putting on the peg so it can fold up a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ride my Tard like a sport bike here in the NorCal canyons/backroads etc and usually the peg barely scrapes before the knee hits the deck. One thing I notice from other Tard riders is the position of their head. If your butt cheek is hanging off the seat it might not matter if your head is still over the tank (crossed up) which prevents you from fully getting the knee on the deck. I notice this all the time at the track with newer riders and its a common site on the backroads as well.

Just a thought, if your body is not in the correct(ish) position you might not be able to get your knee down.

My $.02

:D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The problem with knee out leaned over so the peg is draggin, you have weight on the inside peg and you dont allow it to fold up. When you get to that point if your butt isnt on top of the seat you dont really have the leverage or position to control it. If you are going to ride with the knee out style you have to hang off the bike so you dont have to lean it that far. For me that style is really awkward and id much rather lean the bike under me with my foot off. There just isnt enough room for my foot when the bike is that far over.

here are some great pics.

you can see here, this is about as far as i would expect to see someone lean with the knee out style.

With my drc supermoto pegs with the sliders i dont even know when they hit the ground until i check them in the pits. The metal can/will catch on the asphalt a bit so the plastic helps with that bit. They wont do much for you though if you are pushing down on the inside peg hard like you would on a sport bike.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I thought the R suspension was somewhat firm, being a dirt bike and all. Anyways, seems like a lot of good suggestions have been offered. I'll give you my two cents:

I'd stiffen your suspension up and get it dialed in first. It's the most important thing you can do anyways. Once that is fixed, you might have just solved your problem. It will probably eliminate a lot of the "squat" in the turn.

Secondly, maybe your pegs are absolute crap. Get some aftermarket ones, and they will probably fold better and slide better than the OEM ones, because God only knows how old that technology is. Pun definitely intended, sir.

Wes

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem with knee out leaned over so the peg is draggin, you have weight on the inside peg and you dont allow it to fold up. When you get to that point if your butt isnt on top of the seat you dont really have the leverage or position to control it. If you are going to ride with the knee out style you have to hang off the bike so you dont have to lean it that far. For me that style is really awkward and id much rather lean the bike under me with my foot off. There just isnt enough room for my foot when the bike is that far over.

here are some great pics.

you can see here, this is about as far as i would expect to see someone lean with the knee out style.

With my drc supermoto pegs with the sliders i dont even know when they hit the ground until i check them in the pits. The metal can/will catch on the asphalt a bit so the plastic helps with that bit. They wont do much for you though if you are pushing down on the inside peg hard like you would on a sport bike.
Man those are some sweet pictures!

I thought the R suspension was somewhat firm, being a dirt bike and all. Anyways, seems like a lot of good suggestions have been offered. I'll give you my two cents:

I'd stiffen your suspension up and get it dialed in first. It's the most important thing you can do anyways. Once that is fixed, you might have just solved your problem. It will probably eliminate a lot of the "squat" in the turn.

Secondly, maybe your pegs are absolute crap. Get some aftermarket ones, and they will probably fold better and slide better than the OEM ones, because God only knows how old that technology is. Pun definitely intended, sir.

Wes
There was no adjustment to the preload of the XR. I have a DRZ now with a little bit of suspension work and problem is gone. There are a ton of good suggestions here. I knew I could dump some cash into the XR forks but I just chose not to.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dont lie to everyone about dragging pegs to be cool. lol. O yea dragging handlebars and swingarm are the new cool thing i hear. lol.
:bowdown: Rudi Bauer

But yea I had the same prob on the Sxv. But that was just cause im a fat ass And i needed the suspension set up for my 250lbs of sexyness. :D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont lie to everyone about dragging pegs to be cool. lol. O yea dragging handlebars and swingarm are the new cool thing i hear. lol.
:bowdown: Rudi Bauer

But yea I had the same prob on the Sxv. But that was just cause im a fat ass And i needed the suspension set up for my 250lbs of sexyness. :D
Haha is that before or after you pass me on the back wheel? Dragging handlebars usually came right after dragging pegs at the track... but I wasn't on the bike...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts