FCR 39mm bored out to a 44mm by DASA
FMF powercore with powerbomb header
Vortex Ignition

Jets Ive got in it now
188 Main
45 Pilot
JD Blue Needle 5 clips up from the bottom
2.5 screws out on the fuel screw after market
Riding in Hawaii, supermoto bike, temp is always 70-85 F and elevation is sea level to 300ft.

Im just wondering a bit more about my bike, the bike idles superb, no bog at all after I installed the powerbowl. bike does not skip or burp anywhere in the powerband all the way up to wide open, what it does i just noticed when i ripped is in 4th gear is sort of is a bit sluggish when i hit 8k on the rpms, first gear to third is super quick getting up to the rev limiter but in fourth it slows down a bit, could this just be a slower 4th gear or maybe a different setting on my vortex ignition. Maxpower and one other guy suggested messing with the TPS, turning it clockwise to advance the timing just a hair. Ive tried that but did not seem to do much so just any help would be great. also drag race this weekend so well definately see what this beast will do than, thx alot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Defear what purpose?...I solved it by going down in the jetting on the main, I may go down two more before the race t see if that will make any difference as well.
The air box is open on one side and the top but also gonna open up the other side as well.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Defear what purpose?...
I believe that he was alluding SM being basically a light weight ultra flickable MC that can be used to outhandle a more powerful bike in the tight stuff and not a bike used to outpower something in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If you have never tried dragracing you truly need to try it. Bracket racing isnt about how fast you can go but how consistent you can be. Go hit your local track sometime. You might get hooked.
Let us know what kind of times you get on that beast.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you have never tried dragracing you truly need to try it. Bracket racing isnt about how fast you can go but how consistent you can be. Go hit your local track sometime. You might get hooked.
Let us know what kind of times you get on that beast.
I guess to each thier own, I found drag racing to about as much fun as watching paint dry (or watching NASCAR :rolleyes:). Too bad since MIR is 5 miles from my house and I really tried to enjoy it. I go occasionally to practice my starts since every race begins with a drag race to t1 and the more people I can pass then the less I have to set up in later corners.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I wouldn't touch the tps at all. Yamaha actually recommends to not even loosen the screws on theirs unless you are putting on a new one. Forget all that.

It is a WR, don't they have reallly tall 4th and 5th gears? Almost like overdrive on a car? Also if you have dropped your gearing way down it is hard to make the bike outpull all that gearing in the higher gears.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe you're starving it after being Wide open for so long. In which case I'd suggest raising your float height.
Hope it helps.
Later

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx for the tip on the float height, i may give that a go after first race or so.
I have the bike pretty well dialed in right now so it will be just some fine tuning as the season goes on. And let me tell you it is bracket racing so its all on the lights and the shifting through the gears where I have been beating these guys. Its truly alot of fun, there is no track here on Kauai, only have one super sweet canyon which i get to as much as I can so I got a big speeding ticket, decided to go to the strip and won both nights.....Now last year I won the whole enchilada, points and five races so its truly alot of fun.
I will definately post the slips, the race is on Saturday and I can hardly wait. Also as far as the gearing goes Ive gone as low as I can go. I have a 16t on the front which you have to put on with the chain on and a 37t in the rear which is the smallest that I can find anywhere. I have the old 40t that I may swap out if Im bogging at the line but ideally I would like to be wide open rpm's in fourth a bit before the traps and either push it til she goes or hit fifth. If i get wide open fourth at the traps than Ill be happy with that. That is where I was at last year with a pretty stock engine, best time was 13.55 at 98mph so im hoping to improve alot on that one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh the bike is not lowered, Im a tall guy so lowering would make it uncomfortable for me and so far while riding around the neighborhood Ive been able to keep the front wheel down when ive practiced my starts but may be different at the track. I do have the suspension pretty tight.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well first race of th season was this past weekend and my bike ran faster than it ever had. I was very happy to say the least even though i did not win the event. I will tinker with the gearing a bit more but she was pulling in 4th at around 9000 rpms at the line so that is pretty good. heres the times:

Reaction : .535
60 ft. : 1.974
MID MPH : 84.91
660 : 8.141
MPH : 97.82
ET : 12.95

pretty good for the first race, it was up against an R1 and he was even surprised i was right up with him at 60ft. got some more dialing in to do and will see if i can get it even lower.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I may be interested in doing some drag racing for fun on my crf450r.. its motarded out..stock everything I got a 15tooth on the front and a 48 on the rear,, and it will do 90 topped,, wanting to go smaller on the rear for more top end... sounds like a kick in the ass... ill have to try it..

·
Registered
299 Posts
well first race of th season was this past weekend and my bike ran faster than it ever had. I was very happy to say the least even though i did not win the event. I will tinker with the gearing a bit more but she was pulling in 4th at around 9000 rpms at the line so that is pretty good. heres the times:

Reaction : .535
60 ft. : 1.974
MID MPH : 84.91
660 : 8.141
MPH : 97.82
ET : 12.95

pretty good for the first race, it was up against an R1 and he was even surprised i was right up with him at 60ft. got some more dialing in to do and will see if i can get it even lower.
You running 1/8 th mi or 1000ft?
I took kid to watch her boy friend's Dad race his car, and they talked me in runnig my SM (what a kick in the butt). Ran five runs ,fastest run 104mph , quickest 6.7sec. Could not keep from wheelieing . Fun from the go!!!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im running straight quarter mile.....you must be running the 1/8th mile to go 6.7 and shit if youre doing 104 youre hauling, must be the bigger motor but its fun as hell, i in hawaii on a small ass island so theres no track, just the surface streets and one hella fun canyon.
As far as the gearing goes youll have to just play around with that, im still fine tuning it, got a 16 in the front and a 37 in the back and im pulling 4th gear at 9200 rpms at the line so im going up one more to try to pull a bit harder....if you gear it lower you wont wheelie nearly as much and youll pull through the quarter but it would be a bit different for the 1/8 th mile, that youd want to be able to snap your gears much quicker, i keep running it til the turn around lane and im getting up to 115....lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
It was the first time and the track was so sticky me feet stuck. I was only able to tach out in third by the the lights. So I could lower the gearing alot because it's a 6 speed.Don't have tach but 4th hits rev limiter at 120mph . It about wrecks you when you lose power all tucked in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont ride on the main area where the cars run, i run off the centerline on the concrete if there is any since that would make your feet sticky.....lol.....sounds like your bike is pretty quick and if youre serious about it you could most likely get alot more top end by gearing it better....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts