SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this to death and there aren't many people running stock rear rims with 17 fronts. I have a stock rear DR650 rim and a 2.5" 17 excel up front. I plan on running a 120 front, but am stuck on the rear. I've run 130s no problem, but want to know if I'll get any increase in performance by puting a 140 on the rear stock width rim? I know with aftermarket 4.25" wheels people run 150s and some argue the 160. I'm in the same boat but between the 130 and 140. I know it will fit, but am more concerned about tire profile between the two sizes. I also want a good compliment for the 120 front. Eventually I'll probably swap the rear rim for a wider version, but this is what I have for now.

Has anyone run this combo or similar? I've seen a few 19" fronts with stock rear rim, but not much discussion on tire size for the stock rear. Most threads are focused on that front rim.

One other semi related question. When tire manufacturers list a front vs rear tire... what is the difference? Is the tire the same other than size or do they do something different in tire construction between a front and rear tire? Ive heard people say "I wouldn't run a front on the rear" but they don't have any experience to back it up.

·
Registered
425 Posts
140 is too wide for the stock rear rim, you'll get less contact patch than the 130, which is designed to fit your stock rear.

120/130 is for stock 2.50 rim, 140&150 are big enough to need a 4+ inch rim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figured that may be the case. I talked to another guy that was running a 140 on the rear and he said that he thought the 130 would have been a better choice.

How about the rear vs front tire thing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts