SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Husky 510. They have a ton of power and trick bits such as brembo brakes, nice hydraulic clutch, nice wheels. They come street legal and the others don't. Since you don't have to put any money into parts, converting it, and plating it they are the cheapest to be had. If you want powerful and light your other options are mx bikes which have to be plated and converted and a KTM which has to be plated but you can find both already done up. The converted mx most likely won't have as nice of a suspension for the road like the Husky and the KTM is bright orange and parts are more expensive from what I understand.
KTMs are plateable from the factory, I'd put parts pricing about on par with Husky, and availability (as least where I live) is much easier on the KTM.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I suggest the 690 SMC with avon distanzia tires(for a nice medium for on-road and off-road). Bike can ride the highways at 75mph and only be at 5,000rpms hammer the throttle and have the torque to get cooking if you want. Six gear tranny is a plus the bike rides like a dream off road really plush suspension (i personally would stiffen it up a skosh). Bike only weights 300lbs with gas. It sticks like glue in turns that only down side to the bike is it is alittle more difficult to do tricks and such on as apposed to like a husky 510 or 450. But i would definately take a look into it great do it all bike and its practically bulletproof with low maintence oil every 3,000mi and check valves every 6,000mi!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Damn that guy with the 560 must have been off his game, I will pull on R1s and gsxr 1ks 0 to 60 all day long. Ive been riding my 560 as a daily driver and commuter for the last 2 months now. And I dont baby this thing as much as I should. Going on my 2nd oil change in about 1800 miles. Thats not that bad, and I have not had one issue with this bike at all. And the amount of fun this bike is should be illegal. Mine is kick only but fires on the 1st or 2nd kick cold or hot. 5th gear roll on wheelies at 80mph... 241 lbs (dry) but still... The most menueverable and flickable bike ive ever ridden, this bike will emberass anything in the twisties.
Or the street bike riders were on their game. I am sure your 560 hauls @$$ and would smoke my DRZ.... but my gsx1250 will do 0-60 in 3 seconds :coffee:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So you've been riding your DRZ for a few months? What did you have before? What are you comparing it to?QUOTE]

Im compairing it to my '01 yzf250. The DRZ just doesnt feel nimble, it feels soft and tame. Again, it could rail with the bigger bikes with enough $$$ but thats not what i want.

After reading all the comments and doing further research i have narrowed it down to the Aprilia 550, Crf450x, and the KTM 560. I am leaning towards the KTM 560, because it seems to have the brute power I want and it’s light. Even lighter than the Aprilia. Granted the KTM will have a strict maintenance schedule and are notorious for crank failure, but the SVX also has a strict maintenance schedule and tend to blow up lol. The reason I am shying away from the CRF450x is simply because I feel like the Ape and the KTM are more capable platforms for all out performance, please correct me if I am wrong. Tell me guys if you had to choose between the KTM 560 SMR and the Aprilia 550 SVX what would you choose and why? I also plan on doing all my own wrenching, for that reason alone should I stay away from the Aprilia?
Thanks for all the great info guys!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought a 09 Husky 510 last year for my 50 th birthday gift to myself, plus keep my 07 Gsx-R1000 which had full Ohlins and some other little trick bits. Just sold that bike about two month ago and only have the supermoto, never have had so much fun riding in years as I am right now. Supermoto just kicks ass, Husky rips and handles awesome.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
SM510R seems to fit your description very well. I have 5000 miles on mine with no issues.
I also have a smr510. Light & powerful. But dealers are far & few between. Parts have to be ordered thru the dealer as not a lot in stock & aftermarket parts are scarce! The Shiver 50mm forks take a lot of messing with if you want to race or be aggressive. I am an aggressive rider (track & canyons) & have blown 4 fork seals on the left fork leg in 6000 miles. Heard others complain about the same problem. But it is light & quick. Made my old DRZ feel slow. I do feel the DRZ handles better!! But my DRZ had a ton of really good after market,wheels,brakes,etc.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I love my CR500 supermoto and you arent going to find a much more powerful tard that is in the same weight class as a steelie CR5. an aluminum is even less.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
So you've been riding your DRZ for a few months? What did you have before? What are you comparing it to?QUOTE]

Im compairing it to my '01 yzf250. The DRZ just doesnt feel nimble, it feels soft and tame. Again, it could rail with the bigger bikes with enough $$$ but thats not what i want.

After reading all the comments and doing further research i have narrowed it down to the Aprilia 550, Crf450x, and the KTM 560. I am leaning towards the KTM 560, because it seems to have the brute power I want and it’s light. Even lighter than the Aprilia. Granted the KTM will have a strict maintenance schedule and are notorious for crank failure, but the SVX also has a strict maintenance schedule and tend to blow up lol. The reason I am shying away from the CRF450x is simply because I feel like the Ape and the KTM are more capable platforms for all out performance, please correct me if I am wrong. Tell me guys if you had to choose between the KTM 560 SMR and the Aprilia 550 SVX what would you choose and why? I also plan on doing all my own wrenching, for that reason alone should I stay away from the Aprilia?
Thanks for all the great info guys!

Any bike will be a great performer if you spend enough on it between suspension and brake upgrades, tires, etc, and track time to explore the limits, but the Aprilia has a reputation for needing lots of wrenching, not to mention its a twin. so that's 2 pistons, 8 valves to adjust etc... double the adjustment work, double the potential issues, double the parts cost. hey leno's got a full time mechanic, and I ran a crf450r on the street for 3 years, so anythings doable... (although i wouldn't do the crf again unless i won the lotto and had another supermoto for street, save the crf for the track. my visa's still cringing from that affair.)

Don't cut such a narrow path of whats acceptable for you for your next bike. There are some amazing ones out there from almost every manufacturer... and what they don't have you can modify and create your own individual beast. I mean, there's Yamaha, TM, Suzuki, NCR, Ktm, Kawi, Husky, Honda, Husaberg, HM, Ducati, and others out there with models no one in this thread has mentioned.

I think everyone just argues for the best suited bike for their local supermoto conditions. Guys that have lots of straight roads like the more powerful ones cause they spend more time wheelieing in a straight line, while guys who live with lots of twisty roads spend more time wheelieing around corners. THen there's the offroad. Where I live the mountains come right out of the ocean and there are so many logging roads to explore off the highways, and our track scene is hampered by neighbors who moved in nextdoor to the racetracks because the farmland is cheap, and then after a year they suddenly got irritated by the noise and call their local politicians, so the result is less options for track time. So the perfect supermoto for me would differ from someone else's. Track only supermotos are generally race bred, motocross based platforms with high strung engines that make lots of HP for little displacement, while the lower strung engines will purr along forever but be a little heavier.

Figure out type of riding (commute, track, all purpose etc), where you're doing it, and how often you want to "supermoto" then pick accordingly. Don't pick a race bike for the street as a daily rider, unless you want to spend a lot of time and money on it. Your time is too valuable. Pick something lower maintenance and higher powered as a primary supermoto and have the ape etc as a track toy, because thats where they're best suited, in an environment where you can really push the limits without too many consequences, so you can enjoy a lifetime of ripping it up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ktm 690 smc ain't bad, I'm actually feeling the itch... And I ride a 560. Not very seriously though, but afaik 690 can actually be taken to supermoto track days and survive. It's got the power for sure, but also weight.

I would get a 525 or 560 if possible (no lights etc stock), but I already have a couple of rfs katooms :lol: They are very easy to get rid of if you don't like them.

Stock 450/525/530exc is acutally very comfortable commuter. 560 not so because it doesn't have a throttle position sensor which makes low rpm cruising just painful, it wants to go, not idle in traffic.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Or the street bike riders were on their game. I am sure your 560 hauls @$$ and would smoke my DRZ.... but my gsx1250 will do 0-60 in 3 seconds :coffee:
I havent actually timed it but i would say my 0 to 60 on my 560 is right about at that 3 sec mark. And I ride with a group of guys with 1000 cc street bikes on a daily basis, these guys have been riding those bikes for years and would consider themselves good riders as would I. We have raced off the line countless times and I have never once been passed by one of them before reaching 60. Then of corse they fly past like im not even moving but come on they have 100 ponies on me... But what gravekfreak said is also right on the money, the 560 doesnt cruise, it rips. It doesnt like to maintain a constant 35 it actually feels like shit just trying to cruise. It hesitates a little bit. Until you twist the throttle back and it pulls your arms out of socket and when you have to keep your weight on the bars 1st threw 4th or it WILL come up every time. Its a hell of a machine

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love my XRR granted it has about 40lbs on a crf or ktm, but I've rode drz, yzf, crf, and a ktm 450 still wouldn't trade my big red pig for one, but its my sole street bike now I sold my crotch rocket as soon as the XRR was built. The XRR is bulletproof and makes great sreetable power. The power delivery and curve is so smooth that the bike is decieving. If you rode my XRR then rode a crf you would swear the crf was a ton faster but head to head they are so close! If u plan to race it then i would choose a race bred moto, but then again I throw my pig around just as much and as hard as I do my friends yz and crf lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
I havent actually timed it but i would say my 0 to 60 on my 560 is right about at that 3 sec mark. And I ride with a group of guys with 1000 cc street bikes on a daily basis, these guys have been riding those bikes for years and would consider themselves good riders as would I. We have raced off the line countless times and I have never once been passed by one of them before reaching 60. Then of corse they fly past like im not even moving but come on they have 100 ponies on me... But what gravekfreak said is also right on the money, the 560 doesnt cruise, it rips. It doesnt like to maintain a constant 35 it actually feels like shit just trying to cruise. It hesitates a little bit. Until you twist the throttle back and it pulls your arms out of socket and when you have to keep your weight on the bars 1st threw 4th or it WILL come up every time. Its a hell of a machine
Tell you're friends they need to learn to ride then. My SV1000S will blow right past 60 in first gear. And it'll do it a helluva lot quicker than any motard will. If you're beating 1000cc sportbikes to 60, they simply don't have a clue what they're doing.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts