SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SMJ my name is Brent, I have been riding for 17 years, and I finally got myself onto a supermoto bike at the beginning of this summer. I did a lot of research and ended up buying a Suzuki DRZ 400s. The bike has been great, no issues at all, decent power, and I've got to say this is the most capable bike ive ever ridden. I have done everything on this bike, long road trips, tight twisty trails, riding on fire trails, and carving up the twisties. I love everything about this bike except it’s too heavy and too slow. Before anyone suggests to just modify the bike, and + the HP i have thought about it and i feel like it would be a waste of $$$ because the bike will always be heavy. With the experience i have gained riding this summer i now have a little different wants in my bike. First off the bike will primarily be ridden on the street with occasional dirt days. I want the bike to be geared low-med RPM’s for cruising at 60mph all while having passing power at those speeds and a torque monster off the line. I know one bike can’t do everything but a true race/ hooligan bike is a must here :) Let me know what you think, experiences with these bikes, limitations, strengths, ext.

Options i have considered, but am open to anything…

1) Honda CRF450x
2) Honda XR650R
3) KTM 560 SMR
4) KTM 530 EXC
5) Aprilla SVX 550

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the crf450x and also wr450 will will that need and still maintain electric start although more maintenance (oil changes). The XR650R will also get in there with work and a little extra speed than your looking for but also it will be heavy almost 40 lbs compared to the crfx and wr with no electric start.

I cant comment on the others howerev the sxv is said to be super maintenance intensive but cant comment from personal experience i think its the internet hype that gives it a bad name but still probably requires the same maint as the crf and wr. And from reading the X will require a head rebuild most likely to SS valves and and TRX piston and then good to go. even though the WR wont require this i would still opt for the CRFX i have a soft spot for honda and like the design of their bikes a little better.

just dont go for a CRFR or YZ as the gear ratios are not what your looking for in a sumo street bike.

z

z

·
Registered
169 Posts
owned a drz sm for a couple years before i came to the same conclusion you did. nice bike, even looked and sounded good (with a full yosh pipe), but left we wanting more...

ended up buying a street legal 450x, which i used for limited street hoolying, track days and racing, and offroad (with dirt tires and wheels). love it. what a difference.

if you REALLY want to realize how lame a drz is, ride a SXV550 (even a 450). insane. absolutely a total ball bust.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
You might also look at the Husky. The problem with the Yamahas and Hondas is that they only have 5 gears, the Husky is a 6 speed. The XR650 is probably gonna be about as heavy or at least feel as heavy as the DRZ400, but still a awesome low maintenance bike. I have looked at the KTM and am dying to decorate the garage with an orange machine, but maintenance looks to be a bit steep on them. I know very little about the Aprilia other than it looks badass.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You have answered your own question. Any of the bikes you mention will fit the bill. May I add: any of the japanese enduro versions of the MX bikes. For example, wr450,KLX450R,& rmz450x the issue with these bikes are they are not street legal from the factory. Some are out there with converted legal titles. KTM and Husky make street legal race bikes from the factory. Husky has sm models and KTM are easy to convert. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
SM510R seems to fit your description very well. I have 5000 miles on mine with no issues.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I understand the want for more power, but I couldn't get away from the uber low maintenance of my DR-Z. So I threw on a pipe, carb, and big bore. Loving it every day. Not quite a race bike, but I did beat a KTM 560SMR up til about 60mph. ;)

My bet would be on the XRR, but then again- I'm more of a commuter than racer. 5000 miles on the BB in about 4 months- I usually aim for at least 10k per year, plus any 600-1000 mile trips.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Look into the KTM 525. About the same maintenance (except for valves which are super easy on the katoom) as the DRZ if both are being ridden hard and maintained properly.

The 560smr is an all out race bike, ride the piss out of it for 100 miles and give it lots of TLC.

The 530 prior to 2007 has the RFS engine, after that they went to the XC4 mill which holds very little oil for a street ridden bike. If I'm still living in this area, my next bike will be a 525, but I'll never sell my DRZ.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You might also look at the Husky. The problem with the Yamahas and Hondas is that they only have 5 gears, the Husky is a 6 speed. ------ I know very little about the Aprilia other than it looks badass.
guess you know very little about trans ratios too.

wr450

1st 29/12 (2.416)
2nd 26/15 (1.733)
3rd 21/16 (1.312)
4th 21/20 (1.050)
5th 21/25 (0.840)

husky 510te

Gear Ratio (1)
Gear Ratio (2)
Gear Ratio (3)
Gear Ratio (4)
Gear Ratio (5)
Gear Ratio (6)

Basically they added 5th in between 4th-6th on a regular 5-speed.... pointless as all these bikes have plenty of torque to run through the gears that elusive "6-speed" is better theory is BS imho and many others if your racing its just wasting time shifting and this trans ratio comparisons proves why and most of these 6-speed trans thats all they do is mush the gearing around or add a gear in between somewhere.

DONT BASE YOUR DECISION ON how many gears it has but what the 1st and 5th/6th gear ratio is thats where your top speed and off stop drivability is. the other gears are only there to get from low to high gear....

OP: most of those bikes you listed are exactly what your looking for minus the sxv imho

z

·
Registered
976 Posts
I love my 525. Cruises at 75 all day, will do 100+, and has tons of grunt way down. Light and flickable, a true dirt bike that is super capable in the woods. They can be had with street an.d dirt setups for a good price. 6th gear is like a super overdrive on these bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I'd love to have a 525 or 530, mainly for DS/Enduros, but SuMo too. Gotta say though, I'm really enjoying modding my DRZ! I'm with Randy, I'm sure I'll add a more race oriented SuMo to my collection at some point, but I'll never sell my DRZ!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hello SMJ my name is Brent, I have been riding for 17 years, and I finally got myself onto a supermoto bike at the beginning of this summer.

First off the bike will primarily be ridden on the street with occasional dirt days. I want the bike to be geared low-med RPM’s for cruising at 60mph all while having passing power at those speeds and a torque monster off the line. I know one bike can’t do everything but a true race/ hooligan bike is a must here :) Let me know what you think, experiences with these bikes, limitations, strengths, ext.
So you've been riding your DRZ for a few months? What did you have before? What are you comparing it to?

The real limiting factor for any supermoto is how much $$$$ you want to spend on it. I mean not only initial, but ongoing spending. Some bikes have race motors and you'll be always pouring money and sweat into keeping them on the road. Some need minimal maintenance and let you ride more. Some are underpowered causing you to spend lots on upgrades. The ideal comes down to scenario of use, amount of use, type of riding that you will do on it, and where (track, street, city, woods, mountains, highway) Some are overpowered ;) which cause you to eat tires, tear ACLs, and break collarbones at various intervals...

My old CRF450r took a 100 hours to eat a piston, and required a pricey rebuild every summer at about 5-6 hours of use per week. I'm riding a DRZ now, love it because I'm not wrenching on it every moment I have some spare time- now I get to go ride when that happens... but I miss the power and savageness of a light bike with lots of power. I'm interested in the KTM 690smc, the Husaberg FS570 or an XR650r engine stuffed in a CRF450r rolling chassis. If I lived somewhere with a lot of straight roads I'd love that new Husky Nuda.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I understand the want for more power, but I couldn't get away from the uber low maintenance of my DR-Z. So I threw on a pipe, carb, and big bore. Loving it every day. Not quite a race bike, but I did beat a KTM 560SMR up til about 60mph. ;)

My bet would be on the XRR, but then again- I'm more of a commuter than racer. 5000 miles on the BB in about 4 months- I usually aim for at least 10k per year, plus any 600-1000 mile trips.
Damn that guy with the 560 must have been off his game, I will pull on R1s and gsxr 1ks 0 to 60 all day long. Ive been riding my 560 as a daily driver and commuter for the last 2 months now. And I dont baby this thing as much as I should. Going on my 2nd oil change in about 1800 miles. Thats not that bad, and I have not had one issue with this bike at all. And the amount of fun this bike is should be illegal. Mine is kick only but fires on the 1st or 2nd kick cold or hot. 5th gear roll on wheelies at 80mph... 241 lbs (dry) but still... The most menueverable and flickable bike ive ever ridden, this bike will emberass anything in the twisties.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had a DRZ with a big bore, FCR, MRD exhaust, hot cams, etc and it just wasn't enough. It was, as you put it, slow and heavy.

So I sold it and bought a street legal crf450x I'm in the process of converting. I rode it on the highway once, with the knobbies still on it, and holy frick it scoots compared to the DRZ. It's going to be a great bike I can tell.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Damn that guy with the 560 must have been off his game
I know, that's what I was thinking. It was all in the launch for sure, mine weren't great but he really wasn't coming out of the hole very well at all.

http://youtu.be/LcgwzuKPITI?t=1m

Either way, I love my DR-Z! I'm perfectly content with the power and weight. I think it is perfect for me as honestly, I'm a 90% commuter, 5% dirt, 5% track guy. Love to do more dirt and track, but time doesn't allow currently.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Husky 510. They have a ton of power and trick bits such as brembo brakes, nice hydraulic clutch, nice wheels. They come street legal and the others don't. Since you don't have to put any money into parts, converting it, and plating it they are the cheapest to be had. If you want powerful and light your other options are mx bikes which have to be plated and converted and a KTM which has to be plated but you can find both already done up. The converted mx most likely won't have as nice of a suspension for the road like the Husky and the KTM is bright orange and parts are more expensive from what I understand.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Husky 510. They have a ton of power and trick bits such as brembo brakes, nice hydraulic clutch, nice wheels. They come street legal and the others don't. Since you don't have to put any money into parts, converting it, and plating it they are the cheapest to be had. If you want powerful and light your other options are mx bikes which have to be plated and converted and a KTM which has to be plated but you can find both already done up. The converted mx most likely won't have as nice of a suspension for the road like the Husky and the KTM is bright orange and parts are more expensive from what I understand.
You sound like a Husky salesman lol.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts