SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought an 06 DR-Z 400 SM and its a beauty in itself. The problem that I have with it is the petcock on the bike is different from what I see on the stock OEM diagram for the SM model. It is what I believe is the E model petcock. The petcock on my bike comes out to the rear of the bike, which forces the fuel line to go back towards the rear and around and up to the carb. There is somewhat of a kink in the line when it makes its way up to the carb. It may result in the rough spots (3rd and 4th gear) and the bike will cut out when it gets to less than a gallon left in the tank.

Contrary to what the guy told me, I have to believe the bike was laid down and they replaced the tank, carb and therefore the petcock. He probably did not know anything and bought the E petcock, starts out towards the back, unlike the Sm that starts straight dow . I have a few options, either:
A.) replace the petcock for around a $100 and solve the problem altogether... hopefully.
or B) bend some copper tubing where this kink is and attach it to the rubber hosing using clamps. This would reduce the kink, yet still the line would run up towards the carb and that's going against gravity.

I am new to the whole bike scene but know my way around a motor pretty well. I am looking for any advice from fellow SM guys on what the best way to fix my problem is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Big question; does your petcock have the vacume assist line on it?

Seems like when people swap to a bigger FCR carb, they don't use the vacume assisted petcocks as they lack the vacume nipple.

Stock SM petcocks have a On / PRI / Res position and have the fuel line, and a smaller vacume line pointing straight down.

It may be that the bike has had a performance carb swap and petcock to match, rather than a replacement tank due to crash damage.

Hard to mentally picture your kink issue, but couldn't you just run a longer fuel hose with large diameter arcs that don't fold over and kink?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts