SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to give you more options for your bikes other than the Tuneboy and Vortex ECU. I maybe new to this site but, by no means new to riding. I am picking up my second SMC today and am going to have the ECU flashed by Joe at DPtunes. This will be my second bike to get flashed by him and I really cant speak more highly of his knowledge and experience.
My other bike is a zx-10r, highly modded, and I had it reflashed by him. He can go in and adjust ANY parameters, delete parameters, remove factory restrictions, advance timing, set fuel trim, delete fuel cut off, yada yada yada you get the idea. If there is a code for it in the ECU he can adjust it! Best thing is, once you purchase his flash any time you add or remove more performance parts, just send it back in and he will readjust it for free. On average for the zx-10r's the tune was picking up 5-8 hp over custom dyno tuned maps, all for half the price of a PC5 + dyno time.
I am in the process of emailing him about the 690 SMC to see exactly what he can change inside the ECU on top of adjusting fuel trims, advancing timing, and removing factory restrictions. As soon as I get an email back I will post it here for you guys to see. Im not sure how much the Tuneboys are but I know that his tune will be cheaper than a Vortex ECU. If you guys have any questions I can try to answer them as I am pretty knowledgable on this subject in general, but like I said I am still waiting on the specifics for the 690 SMC. As soon as I know more I will post it for all to see.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I picked up my 690 this afternoon, I am suprised how much more power it has over my old 04' 625 SMC. Only had the chance to put about 50 miles on her today but am very impressed with this platform. Only thing I don't like is the inability of the bike to operate "tamely" under 4k at constant throttle input, this is one thing I will get flashed out. Still waiting to here back from DPtunes, I will post back as soon as I do. I will also post some picts later as I am sure NO ONE here has ever seen a 690 SMC!:lol:

·
Registered
859 Posts
sounds interesting...this magic guy with ECU access....

Yeah the uncontrollable lurching under 4000 RPM and at steady throttle was a real PITA until Richard at Vortex played with the ignition settings enough to smooth it out. Now its great.

Hope your guy can do the same.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds interesting...this magic guy with ECU access....

Yeah the uncontrollable lurching under 4000 RPM and at steady throttle was a real PITA until Richard at Vortex played with the ignition settings enough to smooth it out. Now its great.

Hope your guy can do the same.
Thats generally peoples first reaction :rofl:. He is the the american partner for Piasini engineering, who developed an interface that allows access to most of the modern ECU. They flash quite a few factory race teams in Europe, BMW and Kawasaki to name a few. Dptunes has much succes on cars and bikes alike. Since they can access the ECU code, they can delete code, change code, and even add code. For some of the Busa guys that run spray and are boosted they made a code that allows the ECU to operate and maintain a higher BAR pressure in the fuel system, just for example. Google DPtune/Dynotronics (same company) and read about their success. Here is the link from the zx-10 fourms as well, I dont think you will see anything but great reviews for their product and customer service. Im not here to persuade everyone, just to present another option, and I have had personal experience with this one so I am speaking from what I know. And I hope this will solve the lurching problem as well:thumbup:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102327

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97685

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some picts of her. Talked to DPtunes today as I havent heard back, said he has been super busy but should get back to me soon. Ill play the waiting game, im trying to get some parts together before I get the flash anyhow. Anybody with a kick stand and associated hardware please shoot me a pm!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE
Sorry its been a while and I have been super busy, so this went on the back burner. Just got word from Dynotronics that they haven't had a chance to work on a 690 SMC ECU yet, so they are in the process of getting one to play with and learn. Once they have figured out all the ins and outs on this ECU, and feel comfortable to put there name on the flashes, they will start flashing them. So for know I will be buying a Vortex as I want to ride, but as soon as their flash is available I will be selling the Vortex and go with the flash.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I predict that you will stick with the vortex vs flashing the OE ECU's (yes, there are TWO). I do not miss that ever-intrusive EPT motor, and am seriously digging the extra low-end umph that I gained.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I predict that you will stick with the vortex vs flashing the OE ECU's (yes, there are TWO). I do not miss that ever-intrusive EPT motor, and am seriously digging the extra low-end umph that I gained.
Dont take my previous statement wrong, Vortex is a great product, this is no debate about that. My preference would be the Flash simply because they are right down the street from me, I know the kinda of work and performance gains he is capable of. And no worries about the EPT, he can flash that out!:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I talked with Joe at Dynotronics again and we decided that I will send him my ECU as the guinea pig for the tests on the 690 SMC. He said it could run anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, and I will do a dyno run as soon as I get it back to post it here for you guys to see.

He can access the code in the ECU and change any parameters that you want. Keep in mind since the code can be accessed it can also be deleted (I.E, F.I. Lights, sensors, EPT's,) or code can be added so it can run like it should, the later is mostly for the NOS guys or boosted guys, so it really doesn't apply to us.

Once all this is done, if there is someone on here who has a Vortex ECU, I would be willing to send my Flashed ECU to you to do some dyno runs so we can all see a head to head comparo! Stand by to stand by guys, more to come!

·
Registered
859 Posts
as much as I'd like to offer since I have a Vortex, and a Dyno pretty much at my disposal I have to say that after the multiple repeated tuning sessions on my bike I don't think I'd like to subject my bike to the torture rack anymore unless I NEED to. I am tired of that room, the abuse on the engine, and the wasted rubber down the center of the tire. I've had enough of the dyno for a long time :rant:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
as much as I'd like to offer since I have a Vortex, and a Dyno pretty much at my disposal I have to say that after the multiple repeated tuning sessions on my bike I don't think I'd like to subject my bike to the torture rack anymore unless I NEED to. I am tired of that room, the abuse on the engine, and the wasted rubber down the center of the tire. I've had enough of the dyno for a long time :rant:
It wouldn't work for your bike as I believe you have the Evo 2 kit and cam installed. The numbers would be off due to your cam, but I appreciate the "offer":lol: Im going to drop everything off friday so he can get started, I want him to make some maps that 95% of SMC owners can use "out of the box". Here is what I am looking at
Map1 Slip on only
Map2 Open airbox, stock exhaust
Map3 Slip on + open airbox
Map4 Slip on + pod filter (airbox removed)
Map5 Race
Map6 Wet
Map7 Dirt

1-4 should work for almost anyone, and im going to have him fix the lurching problem on those. The race map should be all power, who cares about the lurching, if your rpms get that low than your not really racing huh :D. I think a wet map would be awesome just in case and a dirt map so the power doesn't hit as hard so you can play in the dirt and not have to pay to much attention to throttle control.

Map8-Map10.......? Suggestions to let him know???

A map for the cam would require a dyno run and data logging as you had done with your Vortex, and I dont have the cam so as of "right now":hmmm: so he wont have that kind of info.

Edit: this are just SUGGESTIONS I am going to give to him, if they are actually made or not isnt up to me. Take that as you will

·
Registered
859 Posts
doesn't he need the bike too not just the ECU?

How is he going to know what the motor likes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
doesn't he need the bike too not just the ECU?

How is he going to know what the motor likes?
Yes and no....
He wont need the bike to access the ECU and figure out what all the maps do and locations and which sensors are located where inside the ECU. Also once the maps are tuned he wont need anyone elses bike, just performance upgrades they do, to make them a map as well.

He will need my bike once they have investigated the ECU and are ready to start making the basic upgraded maps.

So I will have my bike for a little while to finish some wiring and what not (previous owner did a hack job) while they figure out the ECU, then off to the dyno we go!

The guy is an Engineer, and I am in my final year of Engineering school, he knows what he is doing, he has had 25+ years tuning cars this way before they ever came out with the hardware that made it capable to tune bikes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the ECU's out to him today. He said after they access all the files they will get to tuning some maps. He also said that they will get an Akrapovic slip-on shipped out (instead of my fmf) to do the tuning with since they are official partners with Akra. Bike should run like a top after this. As soon as I know more I will fill yall in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts