Votes: 1 20.0%
  • bike 2

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
both are the DRZ-400sm. and ultimately, my drz will have the mods recommended to me from this site (3x3, rejet or recarb, exhaust, air filter, brake lines, etc). so the bottom lines on these bikes are very different.

bike 1: $3k with single bike trailer included (which i don't need and would sell for $200) - total cost (after mods) - $2800
2005, 13k-ish miles
full yosh
axle block sliders
clark fat tank
renthal bars
stainless lines
8/10 plastics
k&n filter
unsure on other mods
40 minutes away

bike 2: $3300 - price after mods - ~$3900
2007, 2k and change miles
bone stock
9/10 plastics
90 minutes away

basically... is a 2 year newer, and 11k miles worth spending an extra $1.1k on?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it would be worth it to take a look at both bikes and ride them if you haven't already. The headaches you could avoid by not buying a heavily used machine with mods might be priceless. You never know where a bike has been or how it was treated before you came across it. IMO, the fewer the mods and miles the better usually. For peace of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
+1 I'm with muffinpunch. He has a good point.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Talk the 07 guy down in price. I sold my 07 drz sm with 11,000 miles, ss brake lines front and rear, 3x3, jd jet kit on stock carb, TT case savers, and axle sliders last year for $3200

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talk the 07 guy down in price. I sold my 07 drz sm with 11,000 miles, ss brake lines front and rear, 3x3, jd jet kit on stock carb, TT case savers, and axle sliders last year for $3200
i've offered him $3100.

and to complicate things, i've found a white 09 with 68xx miles, that i KNOW has been wheelied (not a big deal, really) and he's agreed to $3200. the 09 is about 50 miles away. the 07 is 110 miles away.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I voted for #2.

I agree with Muffinpunch also, if for no other reason than to say Muffinpunch.
Oooo look, I said it again. :lol:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'm with Muffinpunch too, I honestly wouldn't ever buy a used bike without seeing it in person AND riding it first. You can be told all sorts of lies and view all sorts of deceiving pictures on the net to be easily fooled. A bike can even look great in person yet run like a pig when you test ride it.

I know driving a lot and spending gas money is not ideal, but you don't want to end up paying good money to inherit someone else's problem. I would travel to them, personally inspect them and test ride them. This also gives you the opportunity to question the owner in-person about issues you have just seen or experienced with the bike and judge his responses face-to-face. This information and personal experience should help you make your decision. Drive to the closest ones first to see if they meet your criteria or live up to their hype and you may not have to drive farther. If it was me, I'd go see all of them being considered to compare and then make the decision.

Good Luck in your search!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i went with choice C... neither. haha.

found a "friend of a friend" selling his 2009 DRZ with 6600 miles on it for $3200. it was bone stock. needed some TLC (good scrubbin, new fluids, and a few tidbits i'll blast and repowdercoat), but she runs like a top, and was STUPID cheap. already got the MCCT, case covers, oil/filters, and new stock levers (he chopped the old ones to shorties - i don't like that) on the way. i'll order the exhaust, air filter, slider kit (the stock ones are crap imo), and possibly a jet kit (need suggestions) on monday.

here's she is when she got home... and then second is how she sits now. :D

thanks for all the advice y'all! now fill me in on jet kits, and if it's something i can do myself :|

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Looks like a hell of a deal there friend, congo-rats! Please speak up if you want to go to the Sisters, right now we are 5-6 strong, one of those may be a sport-tour if I remember correctly. I am trying to sweat the details a bit to make it a bit more affordable for a few of us, (me...) still one spot on the trailer leaving Bedford at some point after mid-day Friday. I love the white plastics!!!

Old Dog.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a hell of a deal there friend, congo-rats! Please speak up if you want to go to the Sisters, right now we are 5-6 strong, one of those may be a sport-tour if I remember correctly. I am trying to sweat the details a bit to make it a bit more affordable for a few of us, (me...) still one spot on the trailer leaving Bedford at some point after mid-day Friday. I love the white plastics!!!

Old Dog.
WFOriders.com goes twice a year - about 20 or more. But we're getting more and more tards in the mix. ;) check it out - prolly go back in September or November (I'm thinking September)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts