SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got done taking Dougs motor apart most of the way and to say the least not good. We can't get the rod out of the case!

·
Registered
70 Posts
At a shop I worked at years ago we had a half a rod that came out of a TT600 flattracker. The piston had broken at the end of the back straight and the rod sawed a big chunk out of the case and came out the front of the motor taking out the main frame down tube and making the bike impossible to steer. That's when the rider lost control and cartwheeled the whole thing. The story was that there wasn't much of anything left worth keeping other than the half of the connecting rod as a 'trophy'.:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got any idea where the failure started? did the rod break first or as a result of the piston breaking?
The failure was the rod and the piston didn't look too bad believe it or not. This is a very good example why you need to change your crank and rod periodically. Supermoto & Flat track your just plain riding the piss out of these bikes causing tons of fatigue on your motor parts.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
wow......

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Motor go BOOM!! That's awesome, haven't seen one blown up like that in awile.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
We can't get the rod out of the case!
Just drop it on the ground a few time, looks like it should split like a walnut. I have to say again, impressive meltdown.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'll try that. I'm assuming it can't be damaged any more than it already is....:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts