1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Sure you could - if you had ginormous crash bars to keep you upright like he did.

Hey, I could be wrong, but looks to me like he's dragging the shit out of some hard parts and then just blipping the throttle to kinda pivot around on one of the crash bars. Doesn't look like he coulda fallen over at all.

Regardless, half the ass-clowns on any type of bike would be hard pressed to even make one of those without going over.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
It'd be cool to see Ryan Moore on that coarse......a few 12's and some well placed stoppies would have been awesome:lol:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You guys all talk alot of crap sometimes. Say what you like, that dude worked his ass off on that big fat hog and was cooking considering the tight course he had to ride. I agree that HD's are fat and don't handle well, which is one more reason that guy deserves some props and not bashes.

Cops in America ride big bikes because of the type of work they do (traffic enforcement) and what they are expected to carry with them on a daily basis. Flares, safety triangles, accident investigation tools, radar gun, radio (bike mounted and portable spare battery), baton, shotgun (on some), flashlight and charger, every form they could possibly need, ticket book, rain jacket, cold weather jacket, trauma blanket, and the list goes on). As nice a bike as the VFR's are, they would be overloaded once all the junk that most US motorcops carry was put on or in them.

As for the helmet and short sleeve shirt, that has been gone over several times here in the past so I won't even bother addressing that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Y As nice a bike as the VFR's are, they would be overloaded once all the junk that most US motorcops carry was put on or in them.
Beg to differ. Both my father and I ride VFRs. I could put as much stuff on a vfr as any h-d and still outdrive those pieces.

Heres a pic of my vfr and baggage. And thats a light load.

·
Registered
441 Posts
WRX boy has it right. Big Beemers and H-D's are used 'cause they ride long hours and carry a lot of crap.

Most basic US riding schools teach mostly low speed maneuvering. Great in a parking lot but not much else IMO. It's a good place to start though, I guess.

Them dudes on the VFR's have some mad skills.

Other American alternatives:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here is my question. How many have you ever driven a vfr? After a 300 mile trip, stopped only for gas (200 miles intervals). Neither my 56 yr old father or I felt any pain. And for the loading of crap, a full set of Givi bags could handle just as much as a H-D hard luggage.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have ridden a VFR. Great bike, and I LOVE the cam gear noise.

Here is my question to you, when was the last time you did a 10 hour shift on your bike while doing cop work, not touring? I am not discounting the VFR as a great bike, but it is not designed for the type of use cop bikes get. The elecrtonics alone that are installed on most US police bikes would overload the stock charging system on the VFR. Not that the VFR's charging system could not be upgraded, but most US government agencies want to buy an off the shelf vehicle vs. modify one thus negating the factory warranty. Last I checked, and granted it has been a few years, Honda does not offer a Police version of the VFR to the US market.

What is the cargo capacity (weight wise) of the VFR? I have no idea, but I am guessing that between rider wearing all his duty gear and the police equipment installed on the bike, it would be way exceeded.

·
Registered
543 Posts
First, Ever hear of the Iron butt rally. 800-1000 miles in one day. Alot of guys on vfr's have done it and said it wasn't that bad.

Second, electronics, please. Most guys w/ VFRs can run a heated jacket, radar detector, cell phone charger, and other farkels all at the same time, i have, no problem.

Weight, appox, 400 lbs can be put on a vfr including rider. So a 200 lb person could have 200 lbs of stuff, thats a lot of stuff.

Heres a photo which explains the whole "handling part" not me, a fellow vfr rider.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have to agree with WRX on this one.

The VFR is still a sporty bike and that's not what your regular traffic cop is looking for. This guy wants a comfortable bike where he sits upright and can do hour long rides no problem...day in day out. Sure somebody can do 800-1000 mi on a VFR. But can he do it the day after again? You have to agree with me that a nice big H-D or BMW is much more comfortable on the back and the joints than a VFR...

Also, what is the turning radius of a VFR? I think that's an important point as well, more so than being able to lay it over in a high speed corner and scrape your Givi set...

I understand you want to defend the bike you love, but come on...?!

My 2 cnts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts