SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 2006 KLR and I understand that it weighs 375 pounds but I'm over 40 and need my license to get to work HA HA anyway could somone let me in on some proper gears small wheelies are ok front and rear and also what would be my best option for exhaust

Thanks OLD SCHOOL:hmmm:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dropped the front sprocket on mine 1 tooth when I had it. As for an exhaust I went the cheaper route and went wiht a supertrapp. IT was not a bad exhaust gave it a nice thump. The KLR for the most part you will not get much for perfomance gains out of that engine from an exhaust. I weigh about 170 and could really only get the front up in 1 + 2.

The sprocket is easy to change so if you dont like it just go back. Mine was better offroad but made the engine "buzzy" when riding above 55mph.

also depending on the year did you do the "doohickey"?

a good resource is http://www.klr650.net/forums/ they should be able to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
KLRs will make a fun commuter bike. My brother had one for a bit. It would be nice to be able to commute for a few weeks before having to refuel that ginormous tank.

A ss front brake line helps if you are keeping the stock brakes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm over 40 too. There are a lot of us here (though some won't admit it and most don't act like it:thumbup:). I bought a KLR600 the first year ('84). I lived in VA beach and the sand was giving me fits on my GS1000e. I didn't ride my GS for almost a year after buying the KLR. I rode it several times between Ohio and VA beach, and even to Fla a few times. I put over 5000 miles on it the first summer I owned it. Very fond memories..
I put 19" wheels and flattrack tires on it eventually. Old School supermoto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any updates on the build? I'm still trying to figure out what the easiest wheels to swap out are going to be. Not terribly fond of spokes, nor am I terribly fond of paying for a lot of machine work. Either way, what's up with yours and how about some pics?

Here's mine:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Brand new 2008's are about $6500 CND.....Set of wheels and a big brake kit...you got a nice Commuter or Urban assalter you can do a tour with....You can build the whole thing for less than $10000 and have both set ups. Ive seen it done on a DR650 already.

These guys do some nice work....here's one of a KLX done up, looks pretty sick !!

http://www.vancouversupermoto.com/page.php?id=23

1 - 12 of 12 Posts