SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah question is simple. Im going to have CRF450. Im gonna use it stock for near 3-4 months and than I will transform it to supermoto. And maybe get in to some races. What do you advice for me? X or R?

The difference is just carbrator. R has FCR 41mm and X has 40mm. and X has e-start...

I heard that R's are not reliable. It can go just 4-5 races than engine got problems etc etc.. is it true?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
yeah question is simple. Im going to have CRF450. Im gonna use it stock for near 3-4 months and than I will transform it to supermoto. And maybe get in to some races. What do you advice for me? X or R?

The difference is just carbrator. R has FCR 41mm and X has 40mm. and X has e-start...

I heard that R's are not reliable. It can go just 4-5 races than engine got problems etc etc.. is it true?
Oh boy. The biggest diffornce is the Transmition and E-start. The R is a pure race bike, low gearing and a 1mm bigger carb gives it more snap from 0-60. The X is basically the same bike but with more supermoto friendly gearing. If you want a pure race bike the R is better, the X will be better on the street because its E-start and has taller gearing.

The R motor will last a hell of a lot longer than 4-5 races. Mine has been raced for 2 years on the same motor. It just likes lots of oil changes.

There is no reliability diffornce, its just that the R is the bike to race, so poeple really beat on them

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm :hmmm:

great answer. I didnt know about the gears. Ok thanks I think X is better for me.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
wow the diffferences are alot. estart, wr trans, frame is wider, tank, shrouds, rads are bigger, the list goes on and on. personaly i like the r. the estart sucks and its easy to kick as long as the decompression arm is adjusted properly. the r has a revver motor. a few things to think about make sure you get a manual cam chain tentioner and make sure you run a full quart of oil in the trans or it will burn up the gears. my x had almost 7k street miles on it before it blew but could have been prevented by an aftermarket camchain tentioner.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i think i remember something about the early x's having some transmission problems when exposed to constant high speed on street riding... maybe it was just a random problem, but it would be worth looking into

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
yeah and a stator. the trans diddnt have a problem its just people were filling the trans to the recommeded level. 750 it think. and the trans was overheating and locking up. it wasnt made to go 90. haha people figured it out and started running a full quart in the trans and i havent heard of one burning up since. as far as being street legal i have no ideas what the laws are in turkey.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Run a constant loss lighting system and plug in a battery tender after your ride. I've lasted a month and a half without a charge.

I would never attempt to use any Jap mx based bike as even an occasional street motard though.

At least the KTM RFS motor separates the crankcase/transmission oil, and has separate oil filters.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Run a constant loss lighting system and plug in a battery tender after your ride. I've lasted a month and a half without a charge.

I would never attempt to use any Jap mx based bike as even an occasional street motard though.

At least the KTM RFS motor separates the crankcase/transmission oil, and has separate oil filters.

uhhh the honda motor is seperate. oil and trans and has a oil filter. i got almost 7k out of my motor and it blew because of a stock part that should have been changed. and i rode the dog shit out of it. i wheelied it everywhere and constantly backed it in. it was my only ride and was a daily beater.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts