SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if they are too heavy/big for playing in parking lots; jumping some grass hills, stoppies, stairs, etc? Or is a "race" bike better suited for this type of riding.. ie Husky 510, KTM 525, etc?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 525 exc i have converted and that thing is a BLAST.
inly thing i suggest doing scotts stabilizer if your going to be riding at any type of speed also front brakes.
i dont know what the exc weighs in at but i don't notice it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think the 625 is good for hooliganing around. It is about as heavy as you wanna go. I think it weighs around 320. I have jumped mine and rode on trails, its a handful but still fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh, it is tough trying to weigh fast and light vs. heavier and slower; taking into account maintenance and comfort.

Do the race bikes overheat when piddling around in a parking lot?

·
Registered
54 Posts
my 525 rfs does overheat if i am not constantly moving. i shut it off at red lights and in traffic.

they sell a fan kit but i havent gotten around to getting it. but i did install a coolant res that made a pretty substantial differance considering it had nothing at all.

I love this thing either way. theres nothing i would change now except for fan and maybe a different rear subframe for stunting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
625 Vs. 525

I have an 04 SMC and a tarded 07 525 EXC with a 540 kit. My observations are just a contrast between these 2. THe 625 is a solid handler but no hooligan. It's slow and nowhere near as whippy as the EXC. I am in the process of swapping the suspension out on the EXC cause you cannot adjust the trail suspension enough to go very fast on the street. That said even in its current form the EXC is way more fun than the SMC. If you really want to rack up the tickets put the right suspension on an EXC and you will be happy. With the 540 dialed in it absolutely smokes the SMC which in my mind is a moderate speed cruiser.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have an 04 SMC and a tarded 07 525 EXC with a 540 kit. My observations are just a contrast between these 2. THe 625 is a solid handler but no hooligan. It's slow and nowhere near as whippy as the EXC. I am in the process of swapping the suspension out on the EXC cause you cannot adjust the trail suspension enough to go very fast on the street. That said even in its current form the EXC is way more fun than the SMC. If you really want to rack up the tickets put the right suspension on an EXC and you will be happy. With the 540 dialed in it absolutely smokes the SMC which in my mind is a moderate speed cruiser.
Hey! that sounds like my old bike... Darn it is... oh, how I miss her.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Yeh, it is tough trying to weigh fast and light vs. heavier and slower; taking into account maintenance and comfort.

Do the race bikes overheat when piddling around in a parking lot?
dude how about fast and heavy?? i can push my 610 as hard as any other... probably for a longer time too... heavy does not equal slow, what do you ride?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dude how about fast and heavy?? i can push my 610 as hard as any other... probably for a longer time too... heavy does not equal slow, what do you ride?
DRZ-E; that is plated with a sumo kit. So yeh, I am heavy and slow(er):lol: . You don't wish sometimes you got the 510?

·
1,229 Posts
I ride my 625:

down stairs..

off curbs,

on the back wheel,

on the front wheel,

off jumps..

have sacrificed a collarbone........................................... twice..

it rails twisties and does very well at the track (not necessarily the supermoto track it would be outclassed on a tard track by all the 450s)

what hooliganism did you have in mind?

·
Registered
262 Posts
DRZ-E; that is plated with a sumo kit. So yeh, I am heavy and slow(er):lol: . You don't wish sometimes you got the 510?
NOPE! Not once have I wished I got the 510 or 4fidy. My 610 does what I want it to just fine. The only way I would get the 510 is if I was going to make a full race bike out of it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I ride my 625:

down stairs..

off curbs,

on the back wheel,

on the front wheel,

off jumps..

have sacrificed a collarbone........................................... twice..

it rails twisties and does very well at the track (not necessarily the supermoto track it would be outclassed on a tard track by all the 450s)

what hooliganism did you have in mind?
+1 i get pretty wild on my SMC and eventhough Im only 150 lbs i have no problem putting that old 300 lbs hog in her place. For the reliability it cant be beat.

At the track I find myself wishing i had a 560 smr, but there is no way a sane person sound ride the 625 at its limit on public roads.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Never, ive got my crf 450 too and i think on the street it feels the same as my 610... trust me ive tried the same curbs jumps, stairs, grass hills... Miss Piggy rules...and she likes to be ridden hard... not man enough for her? go get a 510... besides, i'd be into a new top end right now had i gotten the 510.

Oh, and when i got my red and white miss piggy a year ago, she was put on a strict weight loss plan, she has thinned down for about 10-12 lbs... i'd say 300lbs wet at close to 60hp.(not confirmed, but the full system made a huge diffrence from the stock setup i had at 55hp.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think the 625 is good for hooliganing around. It is about as heavy as you wanna go. I think it weighs around 320. I have jumped mine and rode on trails, its a handful but still fun.
Had my '06 weighed at the stealership - 335 pounds fully wet. Only (weight related) mod is a set of Akra slipons.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
my 525 rfs does overheat if i am not constantly moving. i shut it off at red lights and in traffic.

they sell a fan kit but i havent gotten around to getting it. but i did install a coolant res that made a pretty substantial differance considering it had nothing at all.

I love this thing either way. theres nothing i would change now except for fan and maybe a different rear subframe for stunting.
Dude buy the fan kit, you wont regret it. I paid like 100 for mine shipped, and its a lifesaver. The only problem I had was there is no place for the temp sensor on mine, so I just wired it into a switch.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I sold my 625 and opted for my exc..............for what little street riding I do it was the funner option. The 625 is a great bike, but I was always wishing I was on my exc during hooligan rides.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Big bore SMs like the KTM 625/690, Husky 610 etc are all very much hooligan bikes on the street. Plenty of power for hucking wheelies etc. And while heavy by true SM standards, they are still featherweights in the street bike world. Would you want to take them on a true SM track? No. But for street fun and road course track days, they're great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts