SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations about a potential new product and wonder if anyone can give rough guidance on what distributor and retail markups typically apply to motorcycle accessories.

I appreciate there are no hard rules on this and every case is slightly different.

Cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I made a acc. for Moose offroad. It sold at a retail price. They then took 30% for them and then They would give 30% to the retailers.. I also had to have some one make it so they had the starting price. SAY it starts at $20 and the retail was $60. Moose and retailers would get the 60% off the $60. It doesnt leave much for me..But I was just the middle man. I think I got like $7 for each unit..The only good thing was Moose would order 1000 at a time..

·
Registered
681 Posts
thats not bad at all, what did you make for them. i have an idea for a new product floating around in my head. i was messing with my bike the other day and the idea popped into my head. i plan on actually seeing what i can make it for and if its reasonable i will try and get someone to distribute it.

i also found a way to make a product and sell it for less than half the price i see it for now, i just dont have the money right now to get it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I think this shows how little margin there is to be made on sub $100 products sold through distributors - not enough in many cases probably to pay for your development costs/time. Looks like retailing it yourself is the way to go !

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
or patent and sell the idea and get royalties

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
or patent and sell the idea and get royalties
THIS is the way to go if it can be done.
theres nothing like a big company having to write you a check everytime they make a run of something.... better yet, if more then one company does... :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts