SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I like so many other people who don't know what an SXV is like I'm scared of getting one, Info on the bike is mostly bad when you look it up.
I've heard the most important thing is actually not regarding the bike at all...
and it's having a good dealer who knows how to take care of this obviously awesome bike.

Why am I posting?
1. To try and make up my F'ing mind about this bike (as I'm soon to replace my Drz)
2. Get the facts straight

1 - is mostly up to me, and right now I'm confused!
There is about 50/50 opinions on this bike around every issue
and that leads us to.... 2!!!

2. Facts? Fiction? (here I'm looking for answers from you)

- The bike is NOT for every day use!
(A lot of people say that but I've heard otherwise from my local dealer and there's a USA Motorcycle video about it being a perfect hooligan bike for the city)

- Maintenance intervals are high!!!
(Ok... we are talking F'ing supermoto! CRF450 and even a DRZ400 might be called high maintenance, I'm "Guessing" it's depending on use mostly SO I would love to get at least 2-3 opinions on different use & maintenance)

- SXV engine's suck! they oil mixes with the fuel and the engine blows!
(I understand it was in a certain year only and new bike 2009 onwards are awesome... can anyone concur ?)

- SXV steering / handling are a mess! you'd have to tweak the S**T of the bike!
(No idea on this one, but it seems to come up a lot...)

The only other thing I could think of is "Parts are expansive"... well... it's Italian...

Soooo.... maybe if this thread is going to kick @ss! it will be a sticky and an end to all myths regarding the SXV!!
If you got anything to add I would love to hear it!!

Last request... can someone point out the difference 4.5/5.5 wise, handing and such.
I am asking because the only guy I know with SXV keeps crying about the 5.5 being a beast and he can't cope with it on the tracks here.
(mostly technical tracks not a lot of high speed parts, mostly short bursts of power and cornering)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
These bikes have been out for nearly 6 yrs now. All the items you are asking about are covered in depth on here and over at www.apriliaforum.com/forums.

The bottom line is this; I own one, Im happy with it, and I would definitely buy another if something happened to this one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These bikes have been out for nearly 6 yrs now. All the items you are asking about are covered in depth on here and over at www.apriliaforum.com/forums.

The bottom line is this; I own one, Im happy with it, and I would definitely buy another if something happened to this one.
:thumbup:
I know most of the stuff have been covered in this form or the next but most threads I found were mixed with opinions of people who didn't actually owned one.
I was actually hoping to make a new SXV thread with all the relevant info and current data since most threads are at least 2yr old and from what I could find these bikes shine only from 2009.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's really all about this forum members good will and willingness to help.

Maybe it's just me but I do feel there isn't enough real info on the SXV.
Searching this forum and the Net is tedious and you don't get any real info back.

Since I'm now trying to decide between this and a CRF/CRM450X, the lack of information on both bikes (at least in English) is amazing even though both bikes seem common enough.

(Well, CRF got a bit more info than the SXV in English)

·
Registered
566 Posts
like said before, check out aprillia forums... If you bought a Viper, would you complain about the gas mileage? Know what you bought, and dont expect something different than what you know in the back of your head. :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like said before, check out aprillia forums... If you bought a Viper, would you complain about the gas mileage? Know what you bought, and dont expect something different than what you know in the back of your head. :thumbup:
No complaints (yet).
I'm still on the fence hoping for something that will make me decide :headscrat:
CRF450X is an awesome bike but... the SXV is also awesome... :) (talk about over simplify) see my dilemma?

I just about have all the valid info I could get on the CRF but the SXV... not so much.
I mostly read or hear opinions and not actual facts from owners.
Can't trust the dealer since he wants me to buy the bike...
Current few owners I know here are either too rich too care what happens to their bike and couldn't care less about maintenance or just depressed human beings who say the bike is good *but* and they can't actually explain the "but".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bought mine cheap on purpose so that I could send the motor off to Amauri Nunez for a rebuild and re-seal. I know full well what to expect regarding taking care of it, and thus expect my ownership experience to be a good one. The information is out there, mostly on the aprilia forum. Short answer, if you understand that its a very high strung motor and don't treat it like your lawnmower, seems like you should be fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No complaints (yet).
I just about have all the valid info I could get on the CRF but the SXV... not so much.
I mostly read or hear opinions and not actual facts from owners.
Can't trust the dealer since he wants me to buy the bike...
Current few owners I know here are either too rich too care what happens to their bike and couldn't care less about maintenance or just depressed human beings who say the bike is good *but* and they can't actually explain the "but".
Stop looking on this forum for "in depth info". Go directly to the AF1 sponsored apriliaforum. They DO have all of the facts about the SXV, in fact an entire section is dedicated to them. There are about 4-5 dealers in the U.S. that anyone can trust with an SXV, depending on where you are, you can work with them. There are many people on the apriliaforum site that KNOW these bikes in and out. They are very helpful to those who 1. have a problem or a valid question and 2. use the search function.

The SXV is unlike any other bike out there. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stop looking on this forum for "in depth info". Go directly to the AF1 sponsored apriliaforum. They DO have all of the facts about the SXV, in fact an entire section is dedicated to them. There are about 4-5 dealers in the U.S. that anyone can trust with an SXV, depending on where you are, you can work with them. There are many people on the apriliaforum site that KNOW these bikes in and out. They are very helpful to those who 1. have a problem or a valid question and 2. use the search function.

The SXV is unlike any other bike out there. Good luck in your quest.
Thnx, Looks like I will be getting an SXV after all, 2010 5.5 (I think, still thinking about 4.5).

Can't say I'm entirely sure about this decision but I hoping for the best.
Daily rides with some track days on the weekends, already scheduled a day out of every month to bring it to the dealer for maintenance... :)

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
If I had the time and budget for a second bike, I wouldn't have any reservations about buying an Ape. I've loved the look, and design from day one. As stated above, if you know what to expect, they can be awesome. I know a couple of guys with them that haven't had any issues at all. I'd still like to have a 5.5 someday.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hey man i just glanced over these posts real quick so sorry if i go over something thats already been answered.

1. The bike is fine for everyday use. Just frequent oil changes. Allen from Extreme motorsports rode for Maryland to California without a single issue. I met him in colorado and the bike looked/ran great. hed love to tell you about it if you can get ahold of him

2. Maintence is not much worse than any mx bike out there. Parts are just a bit more expensive. shes exotic and ya gotta pay to play.

-3. i have an 07' 550 (the bad year) and my engine is running real strong, with no issues almost 3 years later. Keep up with maintenance and shell love you.

4. she handles just as good as any bike iv ridden. Granted the mods you can do only make her handle better but shes great the way she is.

5. like i said they are more money. you wont be selling the house to pay for anything (other than a rebuild haha) but shes exotic so you knew that coming in.

6. the only diff is engine and throttle bodies between the 4.5 and 5.5 nothing else at all. the 5.5 is a complete beast but the 4.5 aint bad either. they handle exactly the same also.

all these myths came from people without the bikes, and lots of he said she said. basically theyre all dumbasses. I just gave you the whole truth, do with it what you will.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey man i just glanced over these posts real quick so sorry if i go over something thats already been answered.

1. The bike is fine for everyday use. Just frequent oil changes. Allen from Extreme motorsports rode for Maryland to California without a single issue. I met him in colorado and the bike looked/ran great. hed love to tell you about it if you can get ahold of him

2. Maintence is not much worse than any mx bike out there. Parts are just a bit more expensive. shes exotic and ya gotta pay to play.

-3. i have an 07' 550 (the bad year) and my engine is running real strong, with no issues almost 3 years later. Keep up with maintenance and shell love you.

4. she handles just as good as any bike iv ridden. Granted the mods you can do only make her handle better but shes great the way she is.

5. like i said they are more money. you wont be selling the house to pay for anything (other than a rebuild haha) but shes exotic so you knew that coming in.

6. the only diff is engine and throttle bodies between the 4.5 and 5.5 nothing else at all. the 5.5 is a complete beast but the 4.5 aint bad either. they handle exactly the same also.

all these myths came from people without the bikes, and lots of he said she said. basically theyre all dumbasses. I just gave you the whole truth, do with it what you will.
Thanks a lot!! :thumbup:
That's actually great, exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread! :)
I'm feeling pretty good about getting the Ape now :)

·
Registered
7,786 Posts

+1. A lot of that holds true for all bikes. Maintenance is key, but unless you're trying to set a speed record down the highway everyday it's more a matter of which color you like best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disproving the Myths...

Hi all,

New to the forums partly do to age etc...but this thread has hit home as I get tired of misconceptions around the SXVs... I agree 100% with all the rational replies so far!

I have about 90 full race hours now on a 2007 SXV 5.5 and the valves are still in spec! The motor was split to be resealed at 65 hours and we threw rings in at that time simply because we had already ordered them, not because they were actually needed...The valves were checked and all were right in spec... I have also replaced a starter as the 07s are notorious for not liking the cold and I am in Canada LOL!

Basically all we do is go over all the nuts and bolts, change oil every 2 to 3 race hours and put tires and brake pads on it... a lot of tires and brake pads...

As for handling, the bike is stone stock except for stiffer fork and shock springs to accommodate my 200lb frame... and I run very competitively in our Expert class here and my pace was about 2 seconds a lap off Jacob Lehmans when he came up to ride our "national" round. (www.rpmsupermoto.com) I am really not trying to brag etc, (Was he really trying? I do not know...) just give you insight into how the bike works, as I am not a superhero or anything. The beasts work!!

As a road ride, my biggest fear would be losing my license... I rode it on the street for 15 minutes with a dealer plate and came back shaking my head in amazement at the dangerous impulses I had to fight the WHOLE time...LOL

I would not hesitate to buy any year, provided you have a dealer who cares nearby. I would actually give the same advice for any brand of bike, as a knowledgeable dealer really does help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MD210;1202147 said:
Hi all,

New to the forums partly do to age etc...but this thread has hit home as I get tired of misconceptions around the SXVs... I agree 100% with all the rational replies so far!

I have about 90 full race hours now on a 2007 SXV 5.5 and the valves are still in spec! The motor was split to be resealed at 65 hours and we threw rings in at that time simply because we had already ordered them, not because they were actually needed...The valves were checked and all were right in spec... I have also replaced a starter as the 07s are notorious for not liking the cold and I am in Canada LOL!

Basically all we do is go over all the nuts and bolts, change oil every 2 to 3 race hours and put tires and brake pads on it... a lot of tires and brake pads...

As for handling, the bike is stone stock except for stiffer fork and shock springs to accommodate my 200lb frame... and I run very competitively in our Expert class here and my pace was about 2 seconds a lap off Jacob Lehmans when he came up to ride our "national" round. (www.rpmsupermoto.com) I am really not trying to brag etc, (Was he really trying? I do not know...) just give you insight into how the bike works, as I am not a superhero or anything. The beasts work!!

As a road ride, my biggest fear would be losing my license... I rode it on the street for 15 minutes with a dealer plate and came back shaking my head in amazement at the dangerous impulses I had to fight the WHOLE time...LOL

I would not hesitate to buy any year, provided you have a dealer who cares nearby. I would actually give the same advice for any brand of bike, as a knowledgeable dealer really does help.
Thanks for the Info!
Hearing positive experience from ppl around here is very important since more often than not you will hear the bad.

The bike (like it's looks) sounds awesome!
Expect a new thread soon "new Ape owner!" :arsenal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, just found this thread! I'm in the same position, Ape or YZF/WR450. I have pretty much had my mind set on an 5.5, as I can never have TOO much power...:bike: I have been doing a lot of research on this bike and have been having somewhat the same problem. I'm teetering on the edge and need a little nudge as to which way to go. It's not that I'm indecisive, and I don't mind trying out a couple bikes before I find one I want to keep, I just like to be as educated (by fact, not hear-say) before I make a purchase.

Maintenance?: I don't mind doing oil changes more often, as I change the oil on my YZ450f every other ride. I'm just wondering on what all this other maintenance everyone is talking about, is it valve adjustments and top-end rebuilds? Again, I enjoy working on them almost as much as riding them!

I plan on riding whatever I get about 60 miles round trip daily, and whatever non-road related antics I can find along the way.:thumbup: I do have a dedicated HS/MX bike, but that doesn't mean I won't take an SM off the hard packed stuff. I would also like to take it to a track day and get into a little more road racing.

I guess this thread has made up my mind also. Tax return=SXV5.5! :bannana: Why I haven't found anything like this over at AF1?:headscrat I think cause most over there have already taken the plunge and are just looking for post-purchase info.

Anyways, thanks asafe for posting this, and thanks all who have contributed to this AND my two-wheeled addiction! :arsenal

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow, just found this thread! I'm in the same position, Ape or YZF/WR450. I have pretty much had my mind set on an 5.5, as I can never have TOO much power...:bike: I have been doing a lot of research on this bike and have been having somewhat the same problem. I'm teetering on the edge and need a little nudge as to which way to go. It's not that I'm indecisive, and I don't mind trying out a couple bikes before I find one I want to keep, I just like to be as educated (by fact, not hear-say) before I make a purchase.

Maintenance?: I don't mind doing oil changes more often, as I change the oil on my YZ450f every other ride. I'm just wondering on what all this other maintenance everyone is talking about, is it valve adjustments and top-end rebuilds? Again, I enjoy working on them almost as much as riding them!

I plan on riding whatever I get about 60 miles round trip daily, and whatever non-road related antics I can find along the way.:thumbup: I do have a dedicated HS/MX bike, but that doesn't mean I won't take an SM off the hard packed stuff. I would also like to take it to a track day and get into a little more road racing.

I guess this thread has made up my mind also. Tax return=SXV5.5! :bannana: Why I haven't found anything like this over at AF1?:headscrat I think cause most over there have already taken the plunge and are just looking for post-purchase info.

Anyways, thanks asafe for posting this, and thanks all who have contributed to this AND my two-wheeled addiction! :arsenal
Thanks for the support!
Since posting I've been searching & reading until my eyes bleed...
Can't seem to find enough posts or reviews by APE owners.
Most threads I came across were either 2-5yr old or were full of head butting.

I am currently in a dilemma as to what should I get... 4.5 or 5.5...?
Were I live highway is different than the U.S everything is around 40-50km max.
the furthest I could (or actually want to) go is about 150km.

I am guessing I should get the 5.5 BUT.... racing wise most bikes here are 400-525cc with some FS570 & SMC690.
I am not sure how the 5.5 would handle vs such bikes as a CRF450 or KTM525.

When I get it I'm not actually planing on changing anything, Even though I read about some mods nothing seems like a "must".

Thanks in advance,
any input would be appreciated! :thumbup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
If that's the case, bear in mind the SXV 5.5 (not sure about the 4.5) has a range of about 60 miles / 100 kms with the stock tank. Sounds like you wouldn't want to be running out of gas where you live!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If that's the case, bear in mind the SXV 5.5 (not sure about the 4.5) has a range of about 60 miles / 100 kms with the stock tank. Sounds like you wouldn't want to be running out of gas where you live!
Well, not a problem, 100Km takes me a long way :)
Besides my DRZ currently needs refuel every 90-100Km not including reserve, depends on how much I rip it of course, could be a little higher if I played nice with it :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts