SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has taken the Direct Access Course/Scheme in the UK?
If so what did they think of it? Did it feel rushed?

Would you advise Direct access instead of seperate modules?

any help, opinions would be great!

ORINJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did the previous DAS back in 2006 (although having done my CBT 6 months before and blatted round on a 125 2-stroke for a while) and that was definitely the way to go for me being over 21. I think today you still need to do the different elements (Mod 1 and Mod 2 plus the theory test) but doing it in a short period of time is definitely doable, particularly if you've ridden a bike before and/or drive already.

Having said that, they're about to totally move the goalposts so you may now struggle to get yourself through the system before the rules change on the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] January. This is quite a good description of what's about to come into force: http://www.90-one.com/testchange.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link, really helpful. Very confused as to whats happening.

I'm 21 in a week and need to do everything (CBT, theory and my DAS) but I only want to ride a DRZ400 for now.
Am I right in thinking that even if I don't even do anything till after the 19th January, I can still ride a DRZ once I've passed my module 1?

Sorry if that seems like a stupid question, just confused where I stand as I don't even hold a theory certificate at the moment!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, I think that's right- even if you wait until after the 19th you'll be fine to ride the DRZ (having done the test) for two years before the restriction could be raised (by taking another test then). I assume you'd still have to do the two part test (or the new version of that) rather than a single test as was the case when I did my DAS.

·
Registered
129 Posts
F'ing laws

Thanks for that link, really helpful. Very confused as to whats happening.

I'm 21 in a week and need to do everything (CBT, theory and my DAS) but I only want to ride a DRZ400 for now.
Am I right in thinking that even if I don't even do anything till after the 19th January, I can still ride a DRZ once I've passed my module 1?

Sorry if that seems like a stupid question, just confused where I stand as I don't even hold a theory certificate at the moment!

hello, i just passed my tests (not DAS, individually) but thats not what im here to say, when i did my mod 2 about a month ago, all of my trainers and the testers at the DSA were talking about the January the 19th, because apparently there are talks in Brussels (where the laws are made) of pushing the new restrictions back to 2018, now dont hold me to this, but if they do it will give you chance to get it all done before them :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
hello, i just passed my tests (not DAS, individually) but thats not what im here to say, when i did my mod 2 about a month ago, all of my trainers and the testers at the DSA were talking about the January the 19th, because apparently there are talks in Brussels (where the laws are made) of pushing the new restrictions back to 2018, now dont hold me to this, but if they do it will give you chance to get it all done before them :)
That's good to know... it wouldn't surprise me if they delayed it though I'd be surprised if it was by 5 years!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RD15 and Monkey,
It would be great if they kept the licensing how it is so I have no rush to pass my DAS, but even so if they do change it I can still ride the bike I want too.
Booked my theory yesterday for December 11th, earliest I could get unfortunately but I'm going to call up for cancellations to see if I can take it sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did my direct access about 5 years ago now and it was defo worth it- I'm 6'5 so didn't want to be riding around on a 125 before I passed my test so I did all my learning on a cb500. It didn't feel rushed when I did it, as long as you research the instructor and make sure they do both parts near where you live- a friend of mine did his direct access after they changed the rules and had to do the 2nd part (the slow riding through cones bit) in Bala which is 50miles from where we live! So the instructor had to trailer the bikes there for about 10mins of riding! Luckily my test was a few months before the revised test which was lucky.

As long as you take it all in and aren't a complete hooligan on a bike it's not that big a deal learning in such a small amount of time- I did my test and bought a 600cc bike and now ride a 950smr and have never felt unsafe because the training I got during my direct access prepared me for the road and I had a good teacher.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Mozza, ( your username is my nickname in certain circles! )

Thats my only worry, I've not got any riding experience except a ped, somewhat illegally and offroad Mx bikes, only up to 80cc. Luckily a friend of my uncle runs a bike training school, ( orangebikers.com ) so I'm hoping that his recommendation is good.

I just hope that I can do my DAS before it all changes as I think as a beginner its best to learn from as little to as much as possible, rather than just CBT and fend for yourself sort of thing.
I'm not quite as vertically blessed ;) 5'10, but equally dont want a small bike.

Quick question Mozza, did you ONLY ride/prepare for your tests whilst on the course? I will have no opportunity to ride other than on the course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a yamaha yz125 motorcross bike that I used to teach myself how to ride- I had that bike for about 2months before I decided I wanted to have a road licence. I had zero road experience before I did my direct access as in nothing at all as I still don't have a car licence- I use my bike everyday rain or shine. The more miles you put in the saddle the more confident you will be- you will do a fair few during the training and you will have an earpiece so will be in constant contact with your instructor and he will point out all you need to know as you are on the road. The off road section of the direct access( cones, clutch control, signalling etc) is pretty extensive and you won't be allowed on the road until the instructor is happy with what he sees- the slow stuff is usually harder than the road riding anyways.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great, thanks Mozza. Put me at ease :) I've been driving for about 3 years now so have road experience, just no bike experience. I'd like to think ill pick it up relatively quickly - clutch control that is, I think it's just the gears I'll struggle with. When I was learning to drive it was too easy to look down to see what gear you were in rather than just knowing. But I assume this will come with time too! I'm planning to be on the bike all the time, car is reserved for work journeys. As in going 200+ miles!
I'm a sensible car driver and always have a go at friends who speed, don't indicate and especially don't double check for bikes! So I like to think ill be equally responsible on a bike.
I was yet to meet someone locally who hadn't had bike experience before DAS so it's comforting speaking to you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem mate its all about riding defensively, observations and picking the right line on the road- the gears and stuff gets to be second nature after a while- I'm still learning everyday and still have a long way to go but the basics you shouldn't have a problem picking up within a few hours of doing the Cbt and direct access it's just about refining those skills then. Good luck with it all, there's nothing quite like chucking a supermoto around on the roads- have fun and stay safe!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hadn't even heard of the 67bhp plan, I just thought they were changing the age at which you could do DAS and a few other things. So in summary, you'll still need to be 24 to do DAS from the 19th January?
thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts