SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2005 gasgas fse 450 enduro for $4500,how is gasgas for reliability?I found a 2005 husaberg fs650s supermoto for $6300...how are husabergs?I'm more in the market than ever to get my first motard...just got a job...I start tomorrow..I am pumped.I also seen bikes called LM...how are these bikes I listed and what are other manufacturer's that sell super moto's in north america besides KTM,yamaha,suzuki,aprilia,husqvarna,husaberg?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I have an '03 gasgas fse450, and i love it. '03 was the worst year b/c it was the first one with that set up, but all the problems were fixed when i got it and i haven't really had anything bad happen. It's fuel injected which means if something does happen, you'll have to take it to a dealer, and there aren't too many dealers in the states yet.

On gasgas's website you can download the complete service manual for free, so that'll help you do the work, or if you need you could bring the printed out service stuff to an independent m/c mechanic and they can do it.

But i honestly wouldn't pay that much for a bike that its so hard to get service help or parts for. You can mail order any part you want, but i can't jsut walk into a dealership and pick it up.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Tallboy, I have been eying an '04 450 Gas Gas in supermoto trim in my area. The craigs list add for the bike says the engine is based on the DRZ motor, and from looking at it externally, in the photos, it actually bears quite a resemblance to the engine in my DRZ. Everything is in the same place, the same shape, etc. To your knowledge, is there any truth to the sellers claim?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I've found no similarity between my bike and a drz. The engine is completely different. I'll try to find a spec sheet and show the differences. Based on outside appearences it looks more like a yz450f motor to me.

If you go to: http://www.gasgasmotos.es/eng/frame.htm Click on the "supermotard fsr" in the top left, and you can choose year 2004 in the top right, then at the bottom you can dowload the .pdf part list and actually look at what the internals look like.

Edit:

Model:
GasGas 450 fse
Engine
Cylinder size: 449 c.c.
Type: Monocylindric, Four stroke, DOHC, Four valves head cylinder.
Number of cylinders: One
Cooling system: Water
Bore x stroke: 95mm x 62.6mm
Injection: Magneti Marelli*. <~ Fuel injection not a carb
ignition: Integrated in injection system
Clutch: Hydraulic multi-disc.
Gearbox: 6 speeds.
Transmision: Primary with gears, secondary with chain.
Kicksart: Electric motor and auxiliary kickstart pedal.

DRZ400sm
Engine: 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC
Bore Stroke: 90.0 mm x 62.6 mm
Compression Ratio: 11.3 : 1
Fuel System: MIKUNI BSR36, single
Lubrication: Dry sump
Ignition: Electronic ignition (CDI)
Transmission: 5-speed constant mesh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good to know stuff about gasgas...are they reliable and fun to drive?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Try to base your buying decision on current reality.

For example where will you go for parts/support? Which brands are supported by local dealers in Ontario?

Aprilia
GasGas
Honda
Husaberg (Owned by KTM, lots of common parts, parts come from KTM in KTM boxes)
Husqvarna
Kawasaki
KTM
Suzuki
TM
Yamaha

You can take most any dirt bike and convert the wheels/brakes to SM spec but this task is not an automatic easy task. Best to buy a bike that some in SM trim from the factory or one that has already been converted to SM.

Do you want to run this bike on the street? Which bikes brands/models can you plate in Ontario? These are good questions to ask your local dealer. If buying used then make sure the bike is already successfully street registered.

Ask the right questions and choose wisely. Getting a good street legal SM bike is not an automatic slam dunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I herd someone say that before 2007 if the bike was not plated for the road it could not be converted...So it's gotta be a enduro or sm for the road or nothing if this is the case...I'm looking for a street tard to fart around on just for the high fun factor!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TM...my bad,thanks for noticing...I feel like a tard!!!Haha.Does TM make a desent bike along with gasgas?They are not talked about very often!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
From what I've heard/read, TM's are awesome bikes, they're Italian, however there's very little support for them around here. I believe there's only one dealer in the US, and they're in Georgia.

Gasgas is another brand that isn't often seen/talked about, however they're definitely more popular in the US then TM. Spanish company, mostly known for their Trials bikes, however I know a couple guys that have ridden enduro bikes in the past. Never heard a complaint from them though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts