SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this post belongs in this forum. Looking to buy my first bike, and I am 100% sure a Dr-Z400sm is the right bike for me... now I just need to know which year is right for me. I saw that the measurements are a little bigger on the 08'(due to what?) Can anyone explain all the differences and maybe what years to stay away from or which years have better parts or dimensions. I am the type of guy that likes to research and make sure I buy something I will be happy for and keep it for a really long time, so any detailed help would be awesome! thanks again!

Future Dr-Z r=Rider

·
Registered
936 Posts
+1

interested too!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to restrict myself to the DR-Z400sm...

I Race mountain bikes and that for me is enough to scare the pants off me, so the DR-Z will limit my speeds and therefore hopefully keep me alive longer haha. All jokes aside though I just really like the way the DR-Z looks and I know for the type of riding I will be doing the smaller motor will do just fine!

Thanks, but how about the differences haha

·
Registered
936 Posts
+1 again :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drz

I just bought a white 08 DRZ and my friend has a black 07 the only difference we have found is the addition of front and rear axle sliders and they don't offer yellow for 08. maybe some one else can put some input in. I think the only difference between 06 and 07 is the renthal fat bars both those years came in black and yellow I don't know much about the 05, If you go to suzuki.com you can look at the standerd features and specs from 08 07 and 06. hope this helps a little

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help everyone. the only thing that still has me a bit curious, is the overall length and ride hieght, etc being different across the models. Any thoughts on why that is?

Love this forum haha

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The "07 & '08's have Renthal 1 1/8" bars from the previous years 7/8" bars w/ crossbar. The '07 & '08's have oem axle sliders. Different graphics for every year, and no yellow for '08, replaced w/ white. I looked at the specs on Suzukis website, and you're right, they do lst different measurements. The height and width can be attributed to the different bars. The ground clearance listed on the '06 SM is clearly from the S model specs. There's no way it lost an inch and a half ground clearance. That's a typo. For the overall length, I have no idea. i'd say their specs. aren't overly accurate. They are definitely the same bike aside from the changes listed.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
the years are all the same except.....yellow is the fastest, the white ones are actually reused yellow plastics that were sent back to the factory after the yellow pigment actually bleed from the plastic during top speed runs....this is why I have a black one, the bike is just too fast and after doubling my 3x3 mod I realized why there is no 6th gear who needs it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome info!!!

Thanks guys! that makes alot better sense to me, looks like I can now go and purchase 06', 07', 08' bike knowing only difference is bars and axle sliders, ohh yeah and the major speed difference between, the yellow and other colors! haha. Hopefully I can find a nice used one somewhere in cali for cheap! I'll be riding with the cali, arizona, and colorado sm riders sometime in the next couple of weeks! Look out for an excited noob haha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts