SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been riding sportbikes and offroad for a number of years and after selling everything off, I have been thinking lately of getting a supermoto bike. I *really* like what I see in the KTM 625SMC, but am curious about the differences between the last couple model years, specifically 2004, 2005 & 2006. I've read about the basic mods (derestricting, rejet, etc) but can't find any specific info about the differences between the years. Is there any good reasons to buy an '05 or '06 over a '04 model?

Here's what I've gathered so far:
- '05 & '06 are the same in every way except for BNG.
- The '04 models are lighter, have a single muffler, different subframe & plastic.

Any additional info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Banning

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i hate searching too but there are several threads on it. never got the answers i was looking for either.

the new 690 looks good if you got the cash.
the 04 is just barely lighter, and the 05/06 have an extra oil mister for the piston.

i went 04 cause the bike had a good previous owner thats the most important thing when buying used.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've been lurking on this site for several months now and trying to get as much info as possible. It's not as easy as you always think sometimes.

I'm looking for something in the $5500 range.

Any additional info or links much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I found some more info on the differences between the 2004 625 SMC vs. the 2005 & 2006 models:
- The '04 weighs 30.9 lbs less (dry) than the newer models.
- The '04 makes more power from the factory (32.18 HP / 33.2 ft.lbs vs. 28.16 HP / 30.2 ft.lbs).
- The '04 has 66mm less trail.
- The '04 has a 320 mm front disc vs. the 335 mm on the '05 & '06.
- The '04 has a slightly smaller gas tank (2.38 gallons vs. 2.43)
- The '04 uses a single muffler vs. 2 on the newer models.
- The '04 has a different rear subframe & rear plastic.

With that being said I have a few more questions:
- Does the reduced trail of the '04 make any noticeable handling differences? Good, bad?
- With a smaller front disc on the '04, how much of an improvement is the larger 335 mm unit on the new models? What about the availability of pads, etc?
- I've read how a lot of people have upgraded to the 18 liter tank and seat combo. Can this same seat & tank be used on the '04 models even though the subframe and stock tanks are slightly different?
- Do the '04 models use the same carb as the newer models?

What about reliability? Are there any things to look out for on these year bikes? I've heard that some bikes had issues with cylinder base gaskets leaking - not sure on the year though.

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Ok, I found some more info on the differences between the 2004 625 SMC vs. the 2005 & 2006 models:
- The '04 weighs 30.9 lbs less (dry) than the newer models.
- The '04 makes more power from the factory (32.18 HP / 33.2 ft.lbs vs. 28.16 HP / 30.2 ft.lbs).
- The '04 has 66mm less trail.
- The '04 has a 320 mm front disc vs. the 335 mm on the '05 & '06.
- The '04 has a slightly smaller gas tank (2.38 gallons vs. 2.43)
- The '04 uses a single muffler vs. 2 on the newer models.
- The '04 has a different rear subframe & rear plastic.

With that being said I have a few more questions:
- Does the reduced trail of the '04 make any noticeable handling differences? Good, bad?
- With a smaller front disc on the '04, how much of an improvement is the larger 335 mm unit on the new models? What about the availability of pads, etc?
- I've read how a lot of people have upgraded to the 18 liter tank and seat combo. Can this same seat & tank be used on the '04 models even though the subframe and stock tanks are slightly different?
- Do the '04 models use the same carb as the newer models?

What about reliability? Are there any things to look out for on these year bikes? I've heard that some bikes had issues with cylinder base gaskets leaking - not sure on the year though.

Thanks,
-Banning.

My 05 has a 320mm front rotor... I think the 04 had a 310mm, but I'm not sure...

·
6,598 Posts
the only difference is the extra muffler, a little more suspension travel on the '05 and '06 bikes, different rear platics + subframe and the '05 and '06 will weigh a tad more due to the extra muffler. other then that the '04, '05 and '06 bikes are as good as identical: same motor, exact same front brake setup, same carb, the same tank etc. just look at pictures of the different model years and other then the differences I mentioned you'll be hard pressed to find others.

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/compare/3984/4912/

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
the only difference is the extra muffler, a little more suspension travel on the '05 and '06 bikes, different rear platics + subframe and the '05 and '06 will weigh a tad more due to the extra muffler. other then that the '04, '05 and '06 bikes are as good as identical: same motor, exact same front brake setup, same carb, the same tank etc. just look at pictures of the different model years and other then the differences I mentioned you'll be hard pressed to find others.

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/compare/3984/4912/
That sounds right.............I know this has been debated here before....and I think the 30lb weight difference is exaggerated a wee bit.......

·
Registered
442 Posts
The rotor is the same size on all three years.
For power, when you take out the throttle limiting screw, they make about the same.

The only thing to look out for is someone buying the one you are looking at before you do. Since it is based on a dirtbike, maintenance is simple when compared to streetbikes. You can put the 18L tank on it. The only difference is the seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts