SuperMoto Junkie banner

Decisions, decisions.........

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Fustern 
#1 ·
Just got back from test ride. Went and looked at a 2006 Husky SM450R with 1300miles, forks seals weeping a bit, the headlight switch is busted but otherwise all stock and in really good shape. Also took out a 2006 DRZ400S with 1900 miles,hands gaurds, all stock, MINT. my choice $4000.
The SM obviously blows away the DRZ and it feels better to me in every way EXCEPT for the fact that the DRZ shifted smooth as silk with or without the clutch and the Husky was much notchier and required significantly(though not excessive) more force to shift.

Waiting to here from the owner of bikes if hes willing to accept my trade offer for either bike(a SnapOn KRL761 tool box and stainless top)
I really prefer the SM because it needs no mods to make me happy or for me to enjoy as I intend to, whereas the DRZ well......needs an SM conversion and springs, F*CK is that thing softly sprung. I remembered them as being "cushy", nope, they are soft as shit. :)

#10 ·
Well.....long story, I am still waiting, apparently I have to wait for an '09 or some shit now, I am massively pissed with my dealer right now.

Am I hearing this correctly? That SMR is the same price as the DRZ with slightly less miles - and you're asking us which one to buy?????
Nope I wasnt asking which one to buy. I am actually at the whim of the seller because I offered a trade and dont have any cash.... i want the SM OBVIOUSLY, but way way deep deep down inside I know the Zuke is better for what I will be doing with it.

The Husky is a little notchy cause she's due for an oil change. Put some fresh oil into her and her shifting is SMOOOOTH! Clutch or not. :thumbup:
I hope so, I asked when it had been changed and he said recently, but couldnt remember what oil he used, so I was skeptical.

whered you find that husky for sale? i look everywhere and never find them for $4000

ill take if you dont haha
Its not technically for sale. If I dont get it its going to a neighbor or brother or some such nonsense, I went to see the DRZ and I saw the Husky and said "hey, whats up with that?" To which I got the "its not for sale, its for somebody, its not what you want, but you can have it for 4k" answer

#7 ·
Am I hearing this correctly? That SMR is the same price as the DRZ with slightly less miles - and you're asking us which one to buy?????:headscrat:headscrat DUDE!!!!!! I don't give a shit how much money you sink into that Suzuki - it will NEVER EVER perform like the Husky.

The Husky is a little notchy cause she's due for an oil change. Put some fresh oil into her and her shifting is SMOOOOTH! Clutch or not. :thumbup:

#12 ·
the husky is always going to suck at finding Neutral... its easiest to find right before you come to a stop... the rest of the trans feels more "click-ish" then most bikes.. but it shoudlnt feel "notchy" unless it needs an oil change..

dont let it detract from buying the bike though.. you'll get used to it.

#13 ·
I LOVE my DRZ, it's freakin' bullet proof, and that's exactly what I want because it's my daily driver, but between those two even I would take the Husky because it's a sumo. :thumbup:

#15 ·
The DRZ is sold, so I am now merely waiting on the sellers decision as to whether my trade offer is acceptable to him. I could have myself a Husky as early as tomorrow(or still have nothing and continue on with my seemingly endless bike drought)

#17 ·
Not getting either bike, he wasnt interested in trading for th tool box, which is good because as life would have it I got fired on Tuesday, so now I actually need my box(the dealer I was at had build in boxes for every tech) So its best I didnt trade it anyway........I am most likely at this point actually going to be switching from the General Motors dealerships Ive been working at for the past 7 years and possibly signing on at a Honda/Kawi/Zuke/Yamama dealership. we'll see how that goes in the next few days, feels like its time for a change of pace.

As far as my bag going numb....well that only happens on a husky if you dont twist the throttle...rev it up a little bit and they smoooooth right out. If I truly wanted numb-nuts Id have bought a LC4. :)

#18 ·
Why pay $4k for a DRZ with knobbies and the need for the conversion when you can just get the same bike 06 DRZ 400 S M for the same price?

$4k is cheap for the Husky for sure, but I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it. For an every day commuter or something you plan to put more than a few miles on I'd say the DRZ. Does it perform as well as the Husky....of course not. But when the Husky DEMANDS maintenance and its a nice riding day I bet you might be cursing yourself. I was looking at the exact same bikes (albeit the DRZ400SM variant), and as much as I love my Italian bikes I had to be somewhat practical.

I love to tinker on bikes but don't like HAVING to do all the maint that some bikes require.

The DRZ 400 SM is a hoot for me...even being 6200ft above sea level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.