SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, when Al Gore invented the internet years ago, I'm sure that he did it with the intent that I would someday have a place to vent about the cavalcade of idiots I've had to deal with in the process of trying to sell one of my bikes.

A few weeks ago, I posted an ad on the local craigslist, selling my 1999 Yamaha R6 (picture below). I took my time, and wrote an ad that had all the information anyone would want to know... mileage, condition, parts I replaced, where the bike was located, and when it could be seen (have it at a friend's motorcycle shop on "consignment"). Also posted pics, and a link to better, higher res pics. I included my email, and cell phone number (and gave people the option of TXT messaging me).

I have since had to deal with a deluge of stupid questions, insulting offers, and every kind of squid you can think of. At first, I was pleasant and responded to all the questions that were already answered in the ad, but now I'm just starting to get sick of it all. Sarcasm has slowly taken over in my responses to people.

Just a few examples...

One guy called me, and spent 10 mins on the phone asking all kinds of questions (most of which were answered in the ad). After all that, he told me he only had half the money, and asked if he could take the bike, and just make payments! I told him, how about an easy payment plan of 1 payment of $4900... he hung up.

"Is it street legal?"
Never mind my lengthy descriptions of the headlight and turn signal upgrades, I simply responded "yes it is, also available without a prescription"

"How many RPMs does it have?"
I could bring myself to respond, but rest assured, this question will echo in my head forever!

Not to mention all the zany trade offers I have received...
A straight up trade for an 1986 Honda Knighthawk
A 1999 Yamaha R6 (if I'm selling a 99 R6, do you really think i want to get another 99 R6 for it?)
A lawnmower (w/utility cart)

I'm just venting mostly. I skim the ads on craigslist, if I see something I like, I read the ad over a few times, look at the pics, do a little research, and THEN call the guy. If I go to look at it, I'll usually bring the full asking price, in cash, and then determine if I want the bike, then haggle with him. Why are people trying to make deals with me without ever seeing the bike in person?

For what it's worth, I started the asking price a little high ($5,100), but hey, you never know when a guy is just gonna hand it to you!! Now I have listed at $4,500. A few hundred over Kelley Blue book, but all the body work is new, along with a bunch of other stuff, so I think my price is more than reasonable.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
233 Posts
i think it's a fine example of a 99 R6 if i do say so myself. One thing i always add in my ads is "serious inquiries only, lowballers and scammers will be captured and sold as slaves" for some strange reason it seems to keep the scum away a little longer

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what colour is it?
Hot pink with lime green butterflies and purple flowers.

i think it's a fine example of a 99 R6 if i do say so myself. One thing i always add in my ads is "serious inquiries only, lowballers and scammers will be captured and sold as slaves" for some strange reason it seems to keep the scum away a little longer
OK, that's a great line, and I'm officially stealing it....

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Has the blinker fluid been changed regularly? :rofl: That thing is clean for a '99...good luck with your sale man. There's gonna be lowballers no matter what you do anymore.

·
Registered
681 Posts
not to help your situation, but i love the bike except for the yellow footpeg bracket, shift rod, and the R6 on the swingarm.

how many people have asked for a test ride? i get that all the time when im trying to sell something. and i always tell them the same thing, "you hand me all the money, THEN you get a test ride, and if you dont like it, ill hand you the money back." but i also tell them if i cant see them MOST of the time theyre on it that offer doesnt stand. most people dont even call me back after that, but if its someone serious about the bike they will understand.

the day i bought my ducati i filled out all the paperwork, and they told me if i didnt like it after the test ride, they would tear the paperwork up and pretend it never happened. and the day i bought the ktm, i finished the paperwork, THEN took it on a wide open blast down the highway (stock smr, no lights, license plate, nothing). i have ridden one bike before purchasing, im thinking about buying a scooter and the dealer let me take it around the pits, but i still havent bought it... yet.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hey Whaler, don't take it personally...

I live in upstate NY also and the simpleton, no common sense attitude prevails throughout the whole area. I too have had to deal with a glut of nuisance/ignorance when selling locally. Just hang in there Brother, sooner or later someone will snap up the R6 and you'll be able to look back and laugh......

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Didn't you just get done building that up from the ground?

I was just wondering which powerband you installed in it? The yellow to match the paint? B/c we all know that the yellow one is the slowest, and if i'm going to be riding 150mph+ in my sandals w/o a helmet i need the fastest powerband possible.

Also would you be willing to trade for a gaggle of geese?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I feel your pain, I got the exact same responses trying to sell my 99 GSX-R. Constantly I said "I have kept this in the best mechanical condition I possibly could, but it's not the most beautiful" (bodywork was a little torn up and old, but the bike mechanically WAS flawless) and still got responses with "It looks ugly, i'll give you $500 for it".

I just laughed at them and hung up the phone haha. I'm a bit of an asshole

Also, that is a GORGEOUS R6, good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn, I thought I had the bike sold tonight. A guy offered me
10' of rope
A rubber chicken
A sprocket from a 86 CR250
A slightly used jock strap
3 miniature Eiffel towers
25 pounds of butter
and a headlight from a 1979 Chevy Malibu

As tempting as the offer was, I decided to take a pass!:laughingr

Seriously though, just some low ball, ridiculous offers tonight ($3,000, $3,700, and even $2,700). I know it will sell eventually, but I'm just getting impatient!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Dude...I've felt your pain. A few years ago I wanted to sell my car (I was out of my friggin mind!).....I put it up for 37k (03 Z06, at the time 1200 or so miles, immaculate) and I got nothing but people calling to offer me their services to help me sell the car, or idiots offering me 30k.....At the time, an 03 Z with 20k+ miles was going for 35k, and mine had just over 1200, was spotless, still had that new car smell.

People are friggin stupid. Like others said, you'll always get those low ballers no matter what, that's the nature of the internet sales. That's a gorgeous bike! Keep with it, you're guaranteed to find a deserving buyer, that thing is sweet as hell! :thumbup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ugh, Craigslist brings out the worst! When I sold my Triumph, it was the same deal. The official slogan for CL's "for sale" section should be "I don't have the money right now, but can I take it for a test ride?".

My neighbor had a fun time selling his 75 CB750. He did the research, and knew what it was worth, so he put it up on CL for $1000, firm. Now, you are fortunate if you are selling a modern bike, as you get the younger crowd. He got the aging hippy, smoked-outta-their-mind, or completely-chemically-imbalanced crowd calling him. They were all seriously lowballing him, with the highest he was offered was $500, and this was all sight-unseen (the bike is in great condition; he bought it new, and babied it). The last straw was when he got an offer for $400 for the bike, and the guy wanted him to deliver it 80 miles to BFE. He unleashed a verbal wrath on that guy so fierce it would make a sailor blush, and vowed never to use CraigsList again to buy or sell anything ever again.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
At this point it may be worth paying to take out an add in the local paper or cycletrader. Cycletrader is not that expensive, and the good news is your bike will be next to other bikes all priced similar, so people wont be as tempted to lowball you. The readers also tend to be more serious about buying a motorcycle since they have to buy the magazine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is that a ninja bike? :lol:. My co-worker asked me that when i brought my 510 to work. He also called it a Mopar :laughingr. The scary thing is he used to ride a F4i :headshake

1 - 20 of 57 Posts