SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn signal indicator (teeny tiny bulb) keeps blowing and neutral too once in a while. Does anyone else have this issue or is just my bad luck? Resistor suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!!:coffee:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yup mine were blown when i bought my bike- i only replaced the hi-beam indicator and it hasn't gone since but their generic parts so i bought a handful from the shop and keep them on the bike so i can replace on the fly if needed (hi-beam doesnt' work without that indicator in)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah man it sure is! Very Sweet bike! First KTM for me so I'm still learning about the quirks and left wondering about a lot of what I'm sure are non issues...

·
Registered
561 Posts
what is the generic part number used for this bulb?...seems if you go through KTM to get it, they want you to buy the entire little assembly along with the new bulb.

·
Registered
361 Posts
what is the generic part number used for this bulb?...seems if you go through KTM to get it, they want you to buy the entire little assembly along with the new bulb.
Actually, from KTM you don't even get the bulb- i made that mistake so now i have all 3 of those little housings floating around the shop too. just bring one of the dead bulbs to any bike shop and tell them you need dash lights. when i went, he pulled out a container of misc. ones and matched it up- i think i paid a buck for 5 or 6 of them and this was at a suzuki dealer...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found plenty of Miniature Wedge Base bulbs at Autozone in their bulb section... I also heard about superbrightleds.com, look in the auto section for Miniature Wedge Base bulbs. Havent tried them yet but they look interesting.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I am thinking I would be checking the voltages at the battery while the bike is running and making sure that the voltage regulator is working correctly....... do so at different RPM's as well, if it is overcharging not only will it continue to blow bulbs but burn out the battery and related electrical.

·
Registered
561 Posts
thanks for all your help guys, KTMhut.com must of told me wrong then, because they said the opposite, I too now will have extra ones laying around my work area as well.:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
561 Posts
looking on superbrightleds.com and this is what I have come up with so far as direct replacements for our stock bulbs....please tell me if I am right or wrong thanks.

Indicator Lamp Bulb - 24-xHP Sub-Miniature Wedge Base bulb
1 High Power SMD LED, 120 degree beam. Fits W2x4.6d base - Replaces 286 2721 Sub-Miniature Wedge Base bulbs

Tailight Bulb - part # 1157-R19W6

Headlight bulb - H4-WHP H4-WHP9 1 or 9 120 degree High Power SMD LEDs, 120 or 360 degree beam

(This is what i am confused on for the headlight application)

((DRLs do not produce enough light for head lamps and are only intended for fog light replacements, show, and daytime running applications.))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is this just a disclaimer or can you really not use these as headlights? If you can would the 120 or the 360 be better?

please let me know if I am wrong on any of these and please give the correct replacement according to superbrightleds.com....thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
For a head light I just put in a standard automotive 9003. I recommend the Sylvannia SilverStars. :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
looking on superbrightleds.com and this is what I have come up with so far as direct replacements for our stock bulbs....please tell me if I am right or wrong thanks.

Indicator Lamp Bulb - 24-xHP Sub-Miniature Wedge Base bulb
1 High Power SMD LED, 120 degree beam. Fits W2x4.6d base - Replaces 286 2721 Sub-Miniature Wedge Base bulbs

Tailight Bulb - part # 1157-R19W6

Headlight bulb - H4-WHP H4-WHP9 1 or 9 120 degree High Power SMD LEDs, 120 or 360 degree beam

(This is what i am confused on for the headlight application)

((DRLs do not produce enough light for head lamps and are only intended for fog light replacements, show, and daytime running applications.))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is this just a disclaimer or can you really not use these as headlights? If you can would the 120 or the 360 be better?

please let me know if I am wrong on any of these and please give the correct replacement according to superbrightleds.com....thanks
to my knowledge, no LED light is DOT approved for headlights. People still do it, but its technically not legal and i think they have a pretty shitty light pattern anyway. If you really want top notch light- do an HID conversion. search the street tard forum, several guys have modded stock light housings with HID's and they crank out a ton of light.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to update the dash bulbs thread because it turns out the new bulbs are not blowing like I thought. They are vibrating out of the socket (after an hour or so) enough to lose contact and made me think they were blowing. :hmmm: Push them back in a good to go for a while... Could be the #74 bulbs from Autozone are not quite the right ones socket fit wise. I may try a small dab of silicone or some tape... :headscrat

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help, I think I will play it safe and go with the silverstars for the headlight bulb. As far as the other bulbs, I will wait to see how long it takes for the current bulbs to blow before I go with the LEDs. When I bought the SMC. The guy thought the indicator bulbs were burnt out as well. But when I went to swap out for new bulbs guess what.....they were just loose from the socket. Took a pair of needle nose plyers and pinched the connection a little and BAM.....no more issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts