SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was just looking at a used 41mm Keinhen*?? carburetor and was wondering what to look at/ be weary of with buying a used carb. Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
even though carbs are intricate I don't know of how they can be messed up other than lying about size. If it's a CV carb make sure there's no tear in the upper diaphram. Good Idea to replace the float needle I guess, carb rebuild kits are usually cheap and contain, bolw gasket, oring for choke plunger, spring for choke plunger, maybe jets, float needle, main needle or one that's adjustable, rubber boot around choke plunger.

unless it has a stubborn clog that the PO can't clear, you can try a thin guitar string or boiling it in lemon juice. If it's a deal I would get it.

sometimes if it's miss-handled you can break the float post off which is one of the very very few things that would deem it junk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an amazing deal if it is good to go. Around the 300 dollar range.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The carb can be worn out or not the carb you thought it was.
Moving parts in the carb can wear out.
Some carbs have fixed intake bells and some have changeable ones.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
make sure slide moves freely--
Look for scratches on the slide and needle -if the slide is chromed any place brass shows is not good-

If you can see wear marks in the needle- the jets and banjo will be worn too --

(no gas in carb)
blow into the fuel line and turn the carb up side down --
air flow should stop if float valve is good

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Also make sure the carb will work for your application, bigger isn't always better. For example, on a stock bore DRZ the FCR 39 is the hot setup, the 41 is too big without a huge stroker motor. The older FCR's had some sort of issue with the slides too if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have bought several carbs off ebay and had great success. The biggest problem i usually encounter is they need a good cleaning. Depending on the carb things might need replacing such as seals, o-rings, or diaphragms. But its just depends on the carb how long it was used how old it is and how long it has sat. Usually almost everything on a carb can be rebuilt fairly cheaply with a little know how that being said check it out as you would any used item. Is it clean any cracks in the housing excessive wear. other than that your probably good. Some come listed as cleaned and ready to go. I usualy go through any carb i get clean it inspect everything and re-jet it to my needs and have yet to get bit on buying used. Ps. $300 sounds a little high i have gotten several Fcr 39 and 41's for as little as $100 and never paid over $150 see what bike the desired carb come stock on and search for that model's carb. :bannana::bannana:

·
Registered
213 Posts
If the carb was laid up with fuel in it for a long period the fuel can turn to gum. This would necessitate a meticulous cleaning and probably service parts to set right.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Also make sure the carb will work for your application, bigger isn't always better. For example, on a stock bore DRZ the FCR 39 is the hot setup, the 41 is too big without a huge stroker motor. The older FCR's had some sort of issue with the slides too if I'm not mistaken.
information that i culled said that the E model FCR39s from the DRZs (that is the "slant style FCR, not the newer FCR-MX) the slide would wear and get sloppy and performance would degrade. That being said, I bought one used anyways because i'm not dropping nearly 600 bones on a new FCR-MX

Never rode a bike with the FCR-MX but my old slant style FCR39 rips my arms off out of the sockets pretty good :arsenal

suck it mikuni! Accelerator Pump FTW!!! :nutkick:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts