SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put some new seals in my drz400sm , 2 weeks later(today) the left side is leaking AGAIN!!! what the H#$!! Maybe its the "all ballz" or what ever after market brand ones .....the seal is red...well, imho, the SUCK! Its the same ones I pulled out the first time that were leaking- anyone else have this prob.? Guess I'll go back to the stock ones-:headshake

·
Registered
52 Posts
did you use seal protector aka ziplog bag or saran wrap when you put seals on fork sliders?
and yes, stock are the best as far as this stuff go

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes to the protector on the fork lip-.....going to look and make sure for any reason i didnt put it in upside down-

·
Registered
530 Posts
i've had the worst lucky with them seals, just use good ole oem.. worth the ten buck differents, and what do u ride in? mud, sand??

·
Registered
425 Posts
OEM is best

+1 on plastic over the fork when putting new seals on, stops the sharp edges wrecking the seal, I like to use a small plastic bag, usually a zip-loc sealable bag, just chop the seal/zip lock part off, slide over the fork tube, then lube the seal with some fork oil and slide on

Also check the chrome for stone chips, which is often the cause of leaking seals, if you put new seals in and don't check the fork chrome, there may be chips which are sharp and essentially slice the new seal like a razor blade. If there is any pitting, smooth it with some sandpaper, use some fork oil on 600 wet/dry paper and smooth the chips out, yes it's safe to use sandpaper on the chrome, you won't be able to ruin the chrome surface without trying hard and rubbing for hours.

·
Registered
815 Posts
yep, sounds like the legs need a bit of smoothing, not the seals fault.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
both Dave at fastbikeindustries and a buddy of mine that does suspension work said that allballs stuff is junk! they both recommended oem stuff like stated above.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
+1 Dave has nothing good to say about Balls....lol
:Funny::Funny:

Mux, when you see Dave, tell him a big thanks from me for getting my Husky suspenders back in the nick of time for my last track day:thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 on the OEM seals, I just did them over the winter, I have a bad habit of not cleaning my bikes, and left fork leg gets brake dust on them when going hard. Now I clean my fork tube more often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts