SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used Photoshop to create my concept idea for an XR650L.

I started with a photo of a stock XR650L that I found on honda.com. Then I added CRF450X plastics, a sumo race front/rear end, and WB exhaust.

It's been a "day" dream of mine to build a reliable, custom, street legal, race "looking", sumo. I've debated on the platform... Honda, KTM, Kawi, etc. I think the XR650L would be my best choice, but require the most cutting, welding, and fabrication to accomplish the look I'm after. So I made up the rendering to get a better idea. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't street-legalize an R in New York?
You can register any off-road bike in NY. But it's a chore to do it. I've seen 450's on the road and the motocross models are definitely not street legal from the factory! I don't want the hassle of waiting and paying extra for a piece of paper that says "street title".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought on reliability on your prototype... I've been custom constructing for the past ten years... none of my work has gone through precision layouts.. just freehand.. So.. just a thought.. How 'bout an S-frame..

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can register any off-road bike in NY. But it's a chore to do it. I've seen 450's on the road and the motocross models are definitely not street legal from the factory! I don't want the hassle of waiting and paying extra for a piece of paper that says "street title".
You're going to go through all the time, expense, blood, sweat, and tears of building a SM after picking out a platform and you won't go with an RR because you don't want to wait on a street tag? Some how that doesn't make any sense to me. The RR will give you a better lighter bike right from the start and a lot more power to play with and dependability. Then you just improve the suspension and you got one of best street motards you can possibly build. With the L you're just going to have heavy and sluggish compared to the RR.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're going to go through all the time, expense, blood, sweat, and tears of building a SM after picking out a platform and you won't go with an RR because you don't want to wait on a street tag? Some how that doesn't make any sense to me. The RR will give you a better lighter bike right from the start and a lot more power to play with and dependability. Then you just improve the suspension and you got one of best street motards you can possibly build. With the L you're just going to have heavy and sluggish compared to the RR.
I already asked a few SMJ members on here who registered their non-titled bikes for the road in NY. They said it took months to get the title/registration BS sorted out with the DMV. If I bought the "L" model, I could ride it right away and make mods as I go. Plus I push a little button to start it instead of hurting my worn out knees trying to kick the "R" over. It's just my preference... it doesn't have to make sense to everyone!:lol:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I used to dream about a converted XR650R; my friend had one and loved it because he could just go ride the thing and not have to wrench as much as my old crf. no more will i own a crf450 on the street. it was simply too much $$$$ and time spent on maintenance, although i do love wrenching, that bike got to me as it required constant work. i've been eyeing up the new ktm 690smc as its replacement in my dreams as honda doesn't make the r anymore. as the 690smc is street legal right off the floor and will get me out riding. the power is a bit more than my crf, but so is the weight, a tradeoff i'm willing to take as it'll keep me out riding longer and more often. it'll see use as both a daily driver and a weekend savagery on and off the track. and i'll totally customize it up as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you looked into A-loop kits? Lot less work and almost look as good as far as bodywork is concerned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts