SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share my latest project with you guys. I've been eying GPS units for both my truck and the bikes and have been blown away at how much money they are for a nice waterproof motorcycle unit. So that got me thinking, I have an EVO 4G, waterproof case, bluetooth navigation and an app that'll let me cache topo road maps and navigate while out of service... Duh!

First I made a trip to Radio Shack and bought a standard 12v accessory jack, lopped the end of it off, wired it to the battery and hid it under the seat by the fuse box. I also wired in a USB cable from the tail under the tank and up to the bars. When I want to charge my phone all I have to do is plug the USB cable and 12v USB car charger in under the seat then plug the phone in and I'm charging :thumbup:

Once I had power I stopped by the BMW shop cuz they have everything and bought this fancy universal RAM bar mount (7/8" to 1-1/8") and a universal phone mount to perch atop of it. It worked really well but I just didn't like how tall it was. It felt like it was in the way and susceptible to damage from sticking up so high. I wanted something low and as close to the bar mounts as I could get it.

I think it came out pretty good. Fit is really nice and it doesn't take much at all to snug the whole thing up to the bar. Only down side is that I was out of black acrylic and had to use some clear. Still looks pretty good and next time when this one gets destroyed or I want to build another better one It'll be black. :thumbup:

Some real quick CAD work...

Then some CAM work for G-Code to take to the machine.

And voilà! Custom Phone/GPS bar mount for the 630 :thumbup:

And here's a little video I took with the GoPro :thumbup: Its really hard to get a picture of the phone in the mount when you're using the phone to take the pictures :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So are you taking orders? I want one? But how much first?
Hope you saved the program for the mill. I think a lot of people are going to want one! Nice work, looks factory!
I have thought about making them for people. Only thing is you'd need to have aftermarket bar mounts and be within the minimum distance between them or else this one wouldn't fit. I save everything, to much at times so I could easily modify it and make it a little more sessy and universal if people seem interested. I've already got some ideas for improving it some.

The raw materials are reasonably cheap for a single mount but a good sized slab of 3/4" acrylic for multiple pieces isn't and I'll have to look into what I can get. The off the shelf RAM mount was only $15 bucks at the BMW shop and I would prefer to leave the 12v power up to you guys. Mine works and I'll share what I did but I'll leave that one alone.

If there's an interest post up. And if you want one right now tamatama, PM me and we'll talk :thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks good Eric! Nice and low and outta the way. Now to figure out how to waterproof...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Genius...:clap:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nice idea!

I've been looking at waterproof GPS units and they're running into £350-£400 for a decent one. What??

·
Registered
32 Posts
lets see a picture of the machine... thats what im interested in haha. i was about to tell you id make if for you if needed when i seen the model. then seen the cam and knew you had it handled. looks good

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm working on some new stuff that should work with oem bar clamps. Money's tight, there never seems to be enough time in a day and the house needs some help too. To bad I'm riding every chance I get :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Get yourself a loaner drz with fatbars and fab one up. they'll sell like hot cakes for iPhone. I've been looking all over. Very nice work. :thumbup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get yourself a loaner drz with fatbars and fab one up. they'll sell like hot cakes for iPhone. I've been looking all over. Very nice work. :thumbup:
I think I'll put some effort into this then. There seems to be some interest and I could use some extra cash so I'll see what I can put together that'll be completely universal :thumbup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think I'll put some effort into this then. There seems to be some interest and I could use some extra cash so I'll see what I can put together that'll be completely universal :thumbup:
Be sure to let me know when ya got something up and running for the old dizzer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be sure to let me know when ya got something up and running for the old dizzer.
Could you post a pic of what your DRZ bars look like? I'd google it but I'm at work and "the man" is watching :anim_peep:

·
Registered
363 Posts
sure thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just checking in....had any luck making anything for the dizzer?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just checking in....had any luck making anything for the dizzer?
Its getting there. You don't have fat bars on the dizzer do you? They look scrawny compared to mine. Good to know now rather than later... :thumbup:

Had my Bday party weekend this weekend and prior to that have been remodeling the garage. I had a guy that was running the OEM bar mounts and before I could measure them he sold it and bought another bike with aftermarket clamps... Think I may just say if you wana run this phone mount you need to spend $40 bucks on a set of aftermarket bar clamps...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have fat bars:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts