SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
no, it will not destroy your bike. think of how many times you would have to rebuild your topend before the tranny is even starting to go. 99% of the bikes on this site do not have them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks for clearing that up. Next is where can I purchase some wheels for my bike at a decent price? Keeping in mind I'm in the UK.

Rob

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
the tire takes up the load when it flexes........cush drive is for big sportbikes

·
Registered
387 Posts
What exactly are you reffering to as cush drive? Are you talking about something in the hub/sprocket of the rear wheel or something in the clutch?

·
Registered
179 Posts
What exactly are you reffering to as cush drive? Are you talking about something in the hub/sprocket of the rear wheel or something in the clutch?

"A cush drive is a part of a motorcycle drive-train that is designed to reduce stress from high torque engines. A common design used by Honda, in particular on the VTR 1000F Superhawk is made of three major pieces: the wheel, the sprocket assembly, and the rubber damper. The wheel and the sprocket assembly fit together with five sections much like two hands woven together. In between the contact of the two assembly are rubber blocks. This makes it so the wheel and the sprocket have a dampening layer between them, and the rubber blocks reduce wear and fatigue of the metal assemblies" ~Wikipedia

·
Registered
387 Posts
"A cush drive is a part of a motorcycle drive-train that is designed to reduce stress from high torque engines. A common design used by Honda, in particular on the VTR 1000F Superhawk is made of three major pieces: the wheel, the sprocket assembly, and the rubber damper. The wheel and the sprocket assembly fit together with five sections much like two hands woven together. In between the contact of the two assembly are rubber blocks. This makes it so the wheel and the sprocket have a dampening layer between them, and the rubber blocks reduce wear and fatigue of the metal assemblies" ~Wikipedia
Gotta love Wikipedia. However, I was just trying to make sure that's what rimesy meant and not a clutch basket with cushions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
you do not need one. It's big, heavy, and not necessary on a 250lb bike...........

I have never had one on a SM bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes sorry, i meant the rear wheel sort :)

any ideas what size axles I have or what wheels will fit? i.e. husky rims?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
you do not need one. It's big, heavy, and not necessary on a 250lb bike...........

I have never had one on a SM bike.
The cush drive is not big and heavy. Just some rubber blocks in the rear wheel hub, isolating the rear sprocket drive torque from the wheel. That little bit of cushion makes life a little easier on the transmission when bikes are used on the street. Nice to have but not a must have.

Dirt bikes when used in the dirt don't need this cushion so much because traction in the dirt has some give.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The cush drive is not big and heavy. Just some rubber blocks in the rear wheel hub, isolating the rear sprocket drive torque from the wheel. That little bit of cushion makes life a little easier on the transmission when bikes are used on the street. Nice to have but not a must have.

Dirt bikes when used in the dirt don't need this cushion so much because traction in the dirt has some give.

I understand what it is. Set a KTM cush hub/sprocket/bushings next to a non-cush for the same bike............cush has more weight. The fixed gear is way less parts. More weight = rotating mass. I compared both options side by side.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do I really need a cush drive?

Bike is a KTM EXC450R

Manys thanks

Rob
Here's a question: Are you just looking into buying a set of wheels and are trying to decide if you should buy a set that has cush drive?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bingo, you got it. in the market for a set but unsure if I need one... sounds like i shouldn't bother

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I went with the KTM Hardparts 4.25" Cushioned for my 450 SMR after about 6 months on the stock non-cushed 5". Since I swapped to the cushioned hub, I can now last a ride without my chain stretching to the point of viscous slap on my rim. I was going through chains fairly fast. Since then though everything has been great, same chain, and it only needs adjustment about as often as oil changes now, instead of every ride - ok, maybe not after the 8 mile round trips to work but still it'd be about an adjustment every 40 mile tank.

So, sure, unneeded, but I'm totally happy with mine, it feels like a great improvement.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the reply, the last one was quite informative. Will wheels from a 2005 exc fit my bike? Thanks

·
6,598 Posts
yes they will, I swapped the wheels from my old '05 450 to my new '08 530 and everything fits.

about the cush drive, I don't run one and severe chain stretching was not an issue for me, I'm always running an O-ring though. I know there's guys on here that run non O-ring chains to get some extra clearance but those type of chains will stretch out way faster and wear out sooner then your average O/X-ring chain. still, you shouldn't feel obligated to get a cush drive but if you want to just go ahead with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts