SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is max tire width on an 18" stock rim? Looking at Bridgestone BT45, will a 130 fit or is a 120 max?

·
Registered
859 Posts
i don't know about 18" sportsman tires, but i've got a 140 s12 on my 18" for dirt with no clearance problems

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I have a 140 perelli scorpion on my rear 18" rim. It's pinched a bit, but i've had no problems with it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Careful here. If you pinch this tire too much you will lose contact patch at ful lean, not gain it. The bt45 works pretty good by the way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Running a 140 IRC street tire on my XR600 with the stock rear rim... It is pinched a bit and I cannot use about the last 3/4" of tread on either side due to the roll-over of the tire...

My buddy with an XL600 (stock 17" rear rim) actually has a tire that looks wider, but is a 130....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not being able to use the last 3/4 inch may not be that big of a deal on a street bike but the guy asking the question is planning on racing the thing. My advice is don't get too hung up on the look of a big tire, stick with something that will work. A tire pinched in that much is actully a smaller contact patch at full lean than a narrower but properly sized tire. Ask yourself, what would be the benefit of the bigger tire?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts